Japanese martial arts films with Aikido?

jalvarez82

I simply love seeing the power of Aikido. Such a beautiful martial art. Can any of you recommend any good movies that have fight sequences with Aikido?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Try these:

AIKI -A great drama with realistic martial arts techniques.

THE POWER OF AIKIDO -Sonny Chiba co-stars in this and lets his brother take the lead. It's typical 70's Japanese action fare- though substituting aikido for karate. Lots of action.

ABOVE THE LAW -Seagal's first movie has realistic fight scenes and a beautiful aikido demo in the opening credits.

BUDO -Is a fantastic documentary that has an aikido sequence featuring a true master- astounding.

There aren't a lot, but I hope you enjoy those. :wink:

kungfusamurai

There's also some Aikido in The Challenge, starring Scott Glenn. Steven Seagal did the choreography on that flick. Below is a clip from the movie, but sadly, I couldn't find a clip showing the Aikido demos they did earlier in the film. Incidentally, the building in the clip appears to be the same building used in Sydney Pollack's The Yakuza. I forget the name of the building, some futuristic looking commercial building in Japan. Toshiro Mifune is also in The Challenge.

QPSj8WDCXYM

KFS

bamboo spear

Wow, I loved The Challenge growing up. I wonder if a Region 1 DVD is available? I'm still waiting for Pray for Death, The Perfect Weapon, Enter the Ninja and Ninja: Domination.

• Administrator
:bigsmile: I almost mentioned THE CHALLENGE! I've got a lot of love for this little flick! Seagal's choreography for this film was really sweet. I second the cry for a DVD release! I own the original CBS FOX videotape in the weird two part slide out cardboard box. I transfered it to DVD, but it sure could use a widescreen release!

kungfusamurai

I agree, there should be a DVD release. Maybe the Fox execs don't even realize they have this title in their catalog? They should have released it back when they were doing that Fortune Star kung fu movie series that they'll all but abandoned. It was a nice surprise when I bought it, because I was expecting a cheesy crapfest. Another interesting Fox title that needs to get released is Sakura Killers, which features a hollywood/Taiwan production crew.

KFS

• Administrator
Another interesting Fox title that needs to get released is Sakura Killers, which features a hollywood/Taiwan production crew.

KFS

I never heard of that. What's it about?

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

Yeah, I was going to mention something about Steven Seagal's Above The Law intro. Dude really is bad ass in real life.

I'm gonna look up all the others.

• Administrator

Yeah, I was going to mention something about Steven Seagal's Above The Law intro. Dude really is bad ass in real life.

Have you seen his documentary- AIKIDO: THE PATH BEYOND THOUGHT? It's fantastic!

kungfusamurai
I never heard of that. What's it about?

I never really sat through the movie from beginning to end. And the only people I recognized were Mark and Jack Long, of the Joseph Kuo movies fame. It's basically another ninja flick made by westerners, but with nice choreography.

beBOqN9v60M

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan

Also check out Seagal's other earlier films:

-HARD TO KILL

-MARKED FOR DEATH

-OUT FOR JUSTICE

-UNDER SEIGE 1 AND 2

-EXIT WOUNDS

bamboo spear

I think his best work was the Marked for Death fight with the posse members in the department store. Great stuff.

Archived