Shaolin Temple Rights?

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

Does anybody know who has the US rights to the Shaolin Temple Trilogy? It would be great if we could have proper R1 releases of these classics.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know who has the US rights to the Shaolin Temple Trilogy? It would be great if we could have proper R1 releases of these classics.

Umm... I think Dragon Dynasty has this... AND the Shaw Bros one, I could be wrong

Killer Meteor
Umm... I think Dragon Dynasty has this... AND the Shaw Bros one, I could be wrong

Yeah, Dragon Dynasty has the Jet Li film on its schedule...for the moment!

The Amazing Psycho Per

I still don't understand why you guys don't buy region free players... I paid mine 80$. I honestly think it is the only way to go when you consider collecting kung fu flicks. Seriously, I wouldn't put my money on region 1 company releasing that much movies, they look to be seriously struggling right now...

DeathFuMaster

Well it also has to do with PAL signals....and expensive import costs....and shipping from other countries.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Mine converts PAL, plus, imports are often cheaper then american releases, go to DDDhouse, plus shipping is not that expensive in most cases. For exemple, a IVL Shaw cost less incl. shipping then it does without shipping from HKFlix. From what I've encounter, the only country from wich shipping is astronomours is France. Just sayin...

kungfusamurai

You can buy a cheap DVD player from places like Wal Mart and then hack into their region coding using the remote. There are various websites around the net that will display the codes, and the models you should buy. Usually the budget players (less than $50) are hackable. I haven't bought one for a few years now, so I don't know if that's changed recently.

KFS

i coulda swore shaolin temple 1 was still public domain

and now a possible company discontinuing it's MA line will own all three of them?

perhaps they will be in limbo again? great

kungfusamurai
i coulda swore shaolin temple 1 was still public domain

and now a possible company discontinuing it's MA line will own all three of them?

perhaps they will be in limbo again? great

I recall World Video put out Kids From Shaolin on DVD. I don't know if they did the same for Shaolin Temple. They did put it out on VHS. That's if you're really trying to dig up a region 1 version. I don't know if it's still in print.

The old Megastar or Universe discs from Hong Kong might have been region free, if all your doing is looking for the film.

KFS

The Amazing Psycho Per

I got mine a few years ago at a shop in Montreal. It's a Malata DVP-580, but it's discontinued now. If you can ever find one buy it, it plays better then my "regular" JVC player. If you search the forum I'm sure you'll find suggestions, we discussed it in the pass. I know Phillips and Toshiba makes PAL/NTSC region free players for a reasonable price.

• Administrator
I got mine a few years ago at a shop in Montreal. It's a Malata DVP-580, but it's discontinued now. If you can ever find one buy it, it plays better then my "regular" JVC player. If you search the forum I'm sure you'll find suggestions, we discussed it in the pass. I know Phillips and Toshiba makes PAL/NTSC region free players for a reasonable price.

I have to agree when it comes to all-region players. I also have a Malata DVD player, but mine is a DVP-520. Actually I have 2 of the same player. One for the living room and one for my man cave- The Temple of the Dragon Monkey (a sacred place where QVC has never once played...:bigsmile:). This is my favorite toy that I've ever owned! It converts PAL to NTSC. It has "infinite zoom" -in or out- bye bye overscanning. And oh, this DVD is not 16x9? It is now! Plus, the "X-Y scaling" feature to fix compressed or aspect funky pictures is the best! I've had these machines for around 9-11 years I guess, and they've held up remarkably well, especially for how many hours of use they get.

Sorry, but any chance I get... I must publicly celebrate the mighty Malata! :xd:

thedirtytiger

Try and find if you cn the old Eastern Heroes DVD releases from England, they did all 3 and they were great disks :)

I have to agree when it comes to all-region players. I also have a Malata DVD player, but mine is a DVP-520. Actually I have 2 of the same player. One for the living room and one for my man cave- The Temple of the Dragon Monkey (a sacred place where QVC has never once played...:bigsmile:). This is my favorite toy that I've ever owned! It converts PAL to NTSC. It has "infinite zoom" -in or out- bye bye overscanning. And oh, this DVD is not 16x9? It is now! Plus, the "X-Y scaling" feature to fix compressed or aspect funky pictures is the best! I've had these machines for around 9-11 years I guess, and they've held up remarkably well, especially for how many hours of use they get.

Sorry, but any chance I get... I must publicly celebrate the mighty Malata! :xd:

Ah, that explains Dynamo and the leftover "Malata" logo :wink:

Just thought id add, if you have trouble with regions when playing DVD's on computer you can use AnyDVD which gets rid of the region restrictions.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Mine converts PAL, plus, imports are often cheaper then american releases, go to DDDhouse, plus shipping is not that expensive in most cases. For exemple, a IVL Shaw cost less incl. shipping then it does without shipping from HKFlix. From what I've encounter, the only country from wich shipping is astronomours is France. Just sayin...

Exactly.... Im guessing your'e Scandinavian??? In Denmark, more or less all players are region free, and can play any dvd at any time! It's cpmpletely foreign to me, when people complain about regions and versions etc. Plus, I buy ALL my movies online! and it's ten times cheaper, if you know the right places! I can't remember the last time I actually went into a store and bought a DVD:smile:

kungfusamurai
I can't remember the last time I actually went into a store and bought a DVD:smile:

It's a toss up for me. It depends on the title. If I see a bunch of Ground Zeros or Video Asias being blown out for dirt cheap at a local Walmart, then I buy up those. When it comes to DVDs that are imported from HK, then it's cheaper to get them directly from places like DDDhouse, since I'm guessing the importers here buy from those same online retailers, and then jack up the price because of the exchange rate, broker fees they pay to import, and the usual mark-ups for overhead.

KFS

The Amazing Psycho Per
I also have a Malata DVD player, but mine is a DVP-520.

Aaaah... That's the one I wanted at the time but couldn't find it anywhere. Lucky bastard:xd:.

Exactly.... Im guessing your'e Scandinavian???

Nope, from Montréal, Québec.

Come to think of it, both first Shaolin Temple movies were released by Mei Ah and they're all region.

here are the links to dddhouse

Shaolin Temple

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3196

Kids from Shaolin

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3531

Now all you need is a region free player and you can watch the third one in it's remastered glory :tongue:.

DeathFuMaster

Im working a getting a $50 dollar region free DVD player with pal to ntsc converter. I don't have much money right now though...but 50 dollars seems resonable.

Archived