Raging Phoenix (2009)

king hades

Saw this tonight. WOW! It was amazing. This is some crazniess, and Jeeja Yanin is just unbelieveableI don't know hoe long the DVD is, but the print clocked in at around 2 hours. The print looked great, imo.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blue_skies

• VenomsFan

• Tosh

• Drunken Monk

Saw this tonight. WOW! It was amazing. This is some crazniess, and Jeeja Yanin is just unbelieveableI don't know hoe long the DVD is, but the print clocked in at around 2 hours. The print looked great, imo.

amazing? we saw different films, I think!

Raging Phoenix surprised me in a couple ways. I was expecting the fighting style to be very gimmicky - which it was at first. There were too many break-dancing moves & dancing happening in the opening fight. It looked like "so you think you can dance" for a minute. After that got out of the way, the fighting lost some of the gimmicks and was just acrobatic. There were some really amazing fight scenes. I think the one with Jeeja squaring off against Bull on the beach was great - the choreography, cinematography, the scenery - that was epic. Jeeja is really something. She's very athletic and takes a serious beating or two. I'm sure there were people getting hurt all over the place in Raging Phoenix. I'm surprised there wasn't an outtake reel of injuries. The film's plot is outlandish, but it didn't throw me off. I'm happy to suspend disbelief. What did shock me was to hear that this isn't the first movie to be about turning women in perfume! That's one of the most bizarre plot elements I've ever encountered; when the fragrance is seen floating through the air, it's pretty ridiculous, but Jeeja & the fights made up for it in spades. The leader of the Jaguar gang is totally crazy & her fights with Jeeja looked grueling. This movie brought me back to some of my favorite KF films - a wild story, broken bones, melodrama, pretty girls, evil transsexuals. It's a hit!

Very impressed with this! I was hoping it would come close to being as good as Chocolate, but I actually liked it more.

really? :eek::eek:

I thought without Panna Jijja seemed so ordinary compared to her performance in Chocolate. I was so unimpressed and I had low expectations before I watched RP .:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I liked RP. I, too, found the choreography to be innovative. Loved the mix with the bebop dance moves. And I look forward to seeing the guy who was the male protagonist do more films. He's amazing. Plot? You know, if a MA flick has a really good plot, to me, that's more of a bonus and less of an expectation. My only qualms with this were:

(1) the fight on the bridges ------ it had it's moments but I thought could have been handled differently.

(2) the supposed match-up of drunken styles ------- either it didn't happen or I just keep flat-out missing it whenever I watch this.

(3) her translation of power when fighting ------ like others I feel sometimes it's lacking. In some executions it's there and in some it isn't but I can get past it.

Like I said.....I liked RP.

But I loved Chocolate.

Morgoth Bauglir
really? :eek::eek:

I thought without Panna Jijja seemed so ordinary compared to her performance in Chocolate. I was so unimpressed and I had low expectations before I watched RP .:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I liked it because jeeja was great with her acting and fighting. The fighting overall was very creative. And what do you mean "without Panna"? He was a producer and action supervisor on the movie.

I liked it because jeeja was great with her acting and fighting. The fighting overall was very creative. And what do you mean "without Panna"? He was a producer and action supervisor on the movie.

he is? I thought he couldn't be I guess I was wrong.I could have sworn someone else was the action choreographer?

I had a chance to watch this on netflix and i thought it was really horrible, the fighting sucked it's nothing like chocolate and the plot which i expect them to be somewhat crazy in this genre of films but this film's whole perfume plot was really ridciolous and laughable on so many levels.I loved chocolate and jeeja but this film was kind of awful.

I thought Chocolate was ok, RP really shows what Jeeja is capable of. I wasn't keen on the mugging for the camera's in the first half of the film, although it had deadly pogo sticks, when did you see that in a film?

The fights became more and more interesting as the film went on, that last fight was just brutal, I'm amazed Jeeja survived at all, she went through two henchman and finally the ladyboss who's like some Thai version of Agnes Aurelio. The film should be seen for the last fight alone.

I thought Chocolate was ok, RP really shows what Jeeja is capable of. I wasn't keen on the mugging for the camera's in the first half of the film, although it had deadly pogo sticks, when did you see that in a film?

The fights became more and more interesting as the film went on, that last fight was just brutal, I'm amazed Jeeja survived at all, she went through two henchman and finally the ladyboss who's like some Thai version of Agnes Aurelio. The film should be seen for the last fight alone.

You thought Chocolate was OK but Raging Phoenix showed what Jeeja is capable of?

Seriously?:eek:

I had a chance to watch this on netflix and i thought it was really horrible, the fighting sucked it's nothing like chocolate and the plot which i expect them to be somewhat crazy in this genre of films but this film's whole perfume plot was really ridciolous and laughable on so many levels.I loved chocolate and jeeja but this film was kind of awful.

I saw it on netflix too, thankfully the streaming version is subtitled. I thought it was pretty bad as well. Chocolate was pretty good, but this was just trying too hard. I respect trying to introduce the element of b-boying into the fights, but after awhile the moves lacked any feeling of impact. Just felt like over-reaction on the part of the person taking the hit. I felt the same way when watching some parts in High Kick Girl. Also, the use of CGI at the end with the bridge was way too much... it felt so low-budget. The stunt double was also too evident when JeeJa fought the weightlifting woman.

I have to agree with ShaOW!linDude - don't hype up the supposed battle of drunken styles and then give us ~10 seconds of questionable drunken applications.

I understand the need to innovate as these films go forward, but this kind of missed the mark. I think JeeJa has a very bright future ahead of her, but this was a let down. Maybe she and Tony Jaa should team up in their next film and show everyone what they fell in love with in the first place?

You thought Chocolate was OK but Raging Phoenix showed what Jeeja is capable of?

Seriously?:eek:

You act like I slapped you or something, yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with Chocolate, to be fair, I haven't watched it in awhile so maybe I need to see it again but it didn't leave much of an impression the first time I saw it.

Jeeja's fight against the lady boss was grueling, it felt like a damn fight and clearly showcased Jeeja's flexibility, especially when she teamed with that guy to defeat the Lady Boss.

You act like I slapped you or something, yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with Chocolate, to be fair, I haven't watched it in awhile so maybe I need to see it again but it didn't leave much of an impression the first time I saw it.

Jeeja's fight against the lady boss was grueling, it felt like a damn fight and clearly showcased Jeeja's flexibility, especially when she teamed with that guy to defeat the Lady Boss.

just shocked is all. For mr Chocolate showed me what she was capable of and is why I expected so much more from her in Raging Phoenix. Sure she pulled off some nice movesin rP but the film and fights were an utter disappointment. Personally I didn't think the end fights were a great climax in the slightest.

I won't hold up RP as a great film by any means, Chocolate was definitely a better film overall, it had a better plot at any rate but I just found it lacking, as I said before it felt like Jeeja really was fighting for her life at the end of RP. If you didn't dig it, that's cool.

Hasimir Fenring

I finally got round to watching this a couple of weeks back. Story was very silly, but the action was good enough to compensate. Whilst I feel Chocolate was a better film, it looked to me like Jeeja was getting a lot more power behind her strikes, so she didn't resemble a cute female John Liu this time. More a cute female Sammo, judging from some of the close-ups. Cotton wool in mouth...

The feel of this movie is all over the place, bouncing between comedy and melodrama, and the story goes off into some weird directions. Human traffickers collecting women's tears to make perfume.

The action is pretty solid. There is some drunken breakdancing fighting gimmick that gets a bit over used. The final half hour is full of really good fighting though, and Jeeja Yanin gets to strut her stuff a bit more without the breakdancing shenanigans holding her back.

All in all, definitely worth a watch for fans of Yanin/Rittrikai (arent we all?). Some solid action, and even worth a chuckle at times early on.

• Like 3