Wong Cheng Li in STREET SOLDIERS

Guest tigerstyles

Guest tigerstyles

i have fond memorys of this 90's action classic.. cheese n Huang please!

204929.1020.A.jpg

checkout the review

also stars some guy who goes by the name

Sometimes Credited As:

Wang Chang-Li / Silver Fox / Cheng-Li Huang / Cheng-li Huang / Jing Lee Huang / Jason Hwang / Jeong-Ri Hwang / Jeong-ri Hwang / Wong Cheng Il / Hwang Jeong-Ri / Wang Jia Le / Huang Jang Lee / Wan-Chung Lee / Wang Chang Lee / Wang Jang Lee / Wong Cheng Lee / Wang Cheng Li / Wong Cheng Li / Wong Chung Li / Wong Zheng Lieh / Chang-Li Wang / Chin Li Wang / Ching Lee Wang / Ching-Li Wang / Jang-Li Wang / Cheng Li Wong / Cheung-Li Wong / Tsing Lee Wong

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

I'm curious to see this film because Hwang Jang Lee is in it. Is the fight between him and Jun Chong pretty good and worth seeing?

ThunderScore

Just saw this! Wong Cheng Li as the "baddie" in a 1990 film that's kind of WEST SIDE STORY meets THE LAST DRAGON - shot in Hollywood and produced by and starring Jun Chong, aka Bruce K.L. Lea from BRUCE LEE FIGHTS BACK FROM THE GRAVE! They both eventually square off against each other but it's much too short! Disappointing that Wong Cheng Li plays a mute character, but he has one funny moment in a clothing store. While the rest of the Street Gang is wreaking havoc - he's trying on clothes...

The film was distributed by legendary music producer Mike Curb, who's still busy these days. I know some of his work is being featured in Tarantino's INGLORIOUS BASTERDS soundtrack...

picture.php?albumid=5&pictureid=915

Yes, this movie is a definitive B-movie fan's dream action film. What helped it in B-movie standards is Jeff Rector's over the top performance as bad gang leader Priest. The film also has Fabian Carrillo, who starred in the martial arts action film LATIN DRAGON in 2004, as one of the bad gang members as well. Jun Chong also choreographed the martial arts fight scenes, including his climatic battle with Hwang, who was credited with his son's name, Jason, in the credits, so in the film Hwang is credited as "Jason Hwang".

Mike Curb would also distribute COLLEGE KICKBOXERS, in which Imperial Entertainment re-titled TRAINED TO FIGHT for their original VHS release in 1991. However, one of Brentwood Entertainment's DVD packages has the film under its original title.

Recently found out that key crew members behind the classic ANGEL (IRON ANGELS) series were responsible for COLLEGE KICKBOXERS. :bigsmile:

Mike Leeder

Tang Tack-wing who played the Cook/teacher in College Kickboxers, was one of the stunt/choreography team for the Angel series, he worked closely with Stanley Tong for a long time, he's the bulky swordsman who battles Michelle Yeoh in Magnificent Warriors at one point

Funniest thing for me was seeing CK being marketed as Young Van Damme: The True Story for its Philipine release

Tang Tack-wing who played the Cook/teacher in College Kickboxers, was one of the stunt/choreography team for the Angel series, he worked closely with Stanley Tong for a long time, he's the bulky swordsman who battles Michelle Yeoh in Magnificent Warriors at one point

Funniest thing for me was seeing CK being marketed as Young Van Damme: The True Story for its Philipine release

HAHAHAHA That's awesome!!! I like the title they used when it was released on home video: TRAINED TO FIGHT.

I learned that IRON ANGELS producer Teresa Woo produced the film and co-wrote the film. IA presenter Sally Aw (Woo Qui-Lin) was executive producer on the film and IA planner William Yuen co-produced the film. I guess with the success of the IRON ANGELS (ANGEL) films, they wanted to try internationally like Ng See-Yuen did with his NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER films.

Mike Leeder

Yep...its funny but a lot of people tried to do films for the Intl market ala No Retreat No Surrender/karate Tiger series but never really worked

I remember getting the film and Tang tack-wing was suprised a nyone had seen it

very talented guy should have done more

Yep...its funny but a lot of people tried to do films for the Intl market ala No Retreat No Surrender/karate Tiger series but never really worked

I remember getting the film and Tang tack-wing was suprised a nyone had seen it

very talented guy should have done more

I agree...he was pretty agile especially in his fight scene against the White Tigers before helping Ken McLeod with his "pressure point kung fu"...wish I knew where he was. Jeff Langton (who played the uncredited finalist in the tournament against Ken) was looking for him as well.

Archived