The story of Wong Fei Hung 1949

FrankBolte

黃飛鴻正傳 The story of Wong Fei Hung part 1

Language: Dialogue in Cantonese ;

Phys. Desc: 72 min. : sound, b&w.

Period: Period.

Genre: Martial arts films (Kung fu) (Genre)

Note: A short film demonstrating southern martial arts, such as the "Double shapes of tiger and crane" and "Fifth son's eight trigrams rod" techniques were shown together with the main feature, performed by martial arts consultants of the film.

Rel Date: 08. 10. 1949.

Prod. Place: Hong Kong.

Credits: Director, Wu Pang.

Line Producer, Wan Ling-fung ; Scriptwriter, Ng Yat-siu ; Producer, Cheung Chok-hong ; Author, Chu Yu-chai ; Martial Art, Leung Wing-hang ; Consultant, Yu Leung ; Narrator, Wong Hon-hei, Mok Kwai-lan ; Martial Arts Consultant, Yuen Wing-kwai, Poon Kwai-yat, Chan Hon-chung, Wu Wan-fei, Wu Pang-hing.

Synopsis: Wong Fei-hung visits Foshan to preside over the lion-dance ceremony of the Sang Cheong medicine shop. Leung Foon, an admirer of Wong, gets into a brawl which is pacified by Wong. Leung asks to be Wong's disciple. The local bigwig Tai Nan-hung has his eye on Lau Suk-fen, wife of Chan Cheung, the boss of Sang Cheung Medicine Shop. He invites the couple to dinner but then kidnaps the wife while the drunk husband is beaten to senseless. Ah Fook, henchman of Sang Cheung pleads for help from Wong Fei-hung. Wong confronts Tai Nan-hung who refuses to hand over the wife. In the struggle, Wong saves the wife but is wounded. He darts away to hide inside a house, where his wound is tended by Ah Fun, and the friendship of them grows. On returning to Guangzhou, Wong is made chief coach of a martial arts association. As Wong is feted in a banquet, 'Wild Beast' Wong gate-crashes the event to publicly insult Wong Fei-hung and his late father. Angered but not humiliated, Wong leaves. Leung Foon searches out 'Wild Beast' Wong and administers a beating to his underlings. In retaliation, Leung Foon is lured to a brothel where he is captured and pinioned. Wong Fei-hung now comes to his disciple's rescue.

part 1 Liondance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8OC_CGTUyU

part 2 Leung Foon becomes a disciple / Hung Gar ancestors / Iron thread

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wdVqn5OPv0

part 3 Shapes- Long Pole technique Kwan Tak Hing - Sup Duk Sao yuen Wing Kwei - Fu Hok Chan Hon Chung - ng long baat gua gwan - whip Kwan tak hing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyTquE1ADe0

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made my day - thanks Franky. Just to diverge a minute, got to thank you for all the promotion you've done for hung gar; your enthusiasm & chat on these boards and youtube in the past seriously pushed me to want to take my appreciation further than just movie-watching, and helped me understand where facets of these movies were coming from. I'm not over-emphasising that either, you definitely gave me a push/initial spark. I remember a thread on the old boards about some Mark Houghton training vids - I didn't get them at the time, your replies to folk got me curious. Between you, Lau's films & the discovering the right sifu & a push from my gf... now I'm training in hung gar. Got a loooong loooong loooongg way to go yet though. Cheers mate!

Thanks for this, Franky! This is awesome stuff, it's a real history lesson (on Cantonese action cinema, and of course the WFH films).

Made my day - thanks Franky. Just to diverge a minute, got to thank you for all the promotion you've done for hung gar; your enthusiasm & chat on these boards and youtube in the past seriously pushed me to want to take my appreciation further than just movie-watching, and helped me understand where facets of these movies were coming from. I'm not over-emphasising that either, you definitely gave me a push/initial spark. I remember a thread on the old boards about some Mark Houghton training vids - I didn't get them at the time, your replies to folk got me curious. Between you, Lau's films & the discovering the right sifu & a push from my gf... now I'm training in hung gar. Got a loooong loooong loooongg way to go yet though. Cheers mate!

wow,now that made my day ! Welcome to the hung family-hung kuen yat gar!

Yes this was recorded from HK TV,they played a couple of them after the passing of Shek kin..so, soon I will upload more stuff...:bigsmile:

Kung-Fu Scholar

I wrote a review of this movie several years ago for the old Hong Kong Cinema View from The Brooklyn Bridge. Beside reviewing I also tell of the background of both the movie and the series itself. It's pretty long and the english is clunky at time but very rich in inside infos. There's also some caps.

http://www.brns.com/pages4/action99.html

Enjoy.

It is footage like this that makes one appreciate classic films, whether it's a Hollywood gangster or comedy of old, or in this case, a true "classic martial arts film". Makes me wish I could see the film in its entirety.

One Armed Boxer

Great stuff Franky......& Happy Birthday to you!

Is it true you are no longer practicing under the Lau family?

• Administrator

Yes, Happy Birthday! You are a terrific, friendly guy, and I love that you promote your art of Hung Gar fist so proudly. :bigsmile:

Brilliant. Lau Jaam is a hero of mine. I need to catch up on more of these. Any chance of the second part of true story appearing; my brother got the first part from you for me as a birthday gift; I need to see how the story continues!

Brilliant. Lau Jaam is a hero of mine. I need to catch up on more of these. Any chance of the second part of true story appearing; my brother got the first part from you for me as a birthday gift; I need to see how the story continues!

same here,speaking from a hung kuen perspective;Lau Jaam is for me the one!

Been visiting his grave everytime im in HK,even a few weeks ago...

We still need to find the movie WFH and Lam Sai Wing from 1954. In this Movie Lau Jaam suppose to play the whole tiger and crane set ...

True story part 2 I hve but without subs,the one that helped me doing the subs is too busy these days...i hope we soon get it started.

Would love to see that fu hok, I've seen that clip of the tiger section from one film on your channel; need to see more!

My aim this year is to make it to Hong Kong, I'll need to save a little, but it's becoming more a neccessity; I think you know my Sifu, Leo Au Yeung, so these things are very important to me now.

Thanks Frank.

Would love to see that fu hok, I've seen that clip of the tiger section from one film on your channel; need to see more!

My aim this year is to make it to Hong Kong, I'll need to save a little, but it's becoming more a neccessity; I think you know my Sifu, Leo Au Yeung, so these things are very important to me now.

Thanks Frank.

I have neer met Leo personally but his sifu Sin Kwok Lam I met several times,he was actually the one who brought me to lau Jaams grave.Along with Dennis TO...

The tiger section you saw was from another WFH movie but i read that Lau Jaam plays the cpmplete set in WFH and LSW (also lam jo plays 8 diagram pole in this)...

Hongkong is great! Go there you wont regret :)

masterofoneinchpunch

Thanks again for taking the time and effort to put subs and the first release. I'm a little late watching it (not sure when you put the subs with it though or if you did that when you first uploaded it), but I am certainly glad I did. The references and influence this series has on later HK films is huge (it is mentioned in many of my HK movie books.) Funny that IMDB has only five total votes (should be six with mine.)

Archived