Promotional Still Confusion

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

I just finished watch When TKD Strikes. When I was browsing through the gallery section, I saw the lobby card with the same promo still as the DVD cover below.

t_16876.jpg

I'm a little confused. Is this something that actually happened in the film, but wasn't included in the final cut? Or is it a cut and paste job? I mean, why would Whang Ing Sik's character be attacking Sammo's character if they are both Japanese trying to wipe out the Korean resistance? Anybody know any information about this image, if it was really shot with the two guys fighting, or if it was created in a photolab? :)

KFS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

Bolo fighting Bruce is one thing. If it was Bruce fighting Jim Kelly, then it would be really weird.

Maybe the Embassy video is using an earlier image. I don't have access to the original lobby cards, just the images they showed in the special features on the When TKD Strikes DVD from Joy Sales. I'm assuming they were the original ones from 1972 or so.

KFS

The Embassy box was discussed among my friends in the 80's. Not only did the cover show Ing Sik trying to kick the crap out of Sammo Hung, but if you notice on the back you see Jhoon Rhee attacking Samo. If you remember the scene where this would have happened Jhoon Rhee was chained to a post while Sammo was being killed by Angela Mao. When he finally sawed his way through the post using the chain Sammo was dead. Jhoon is also missing the chains in the picture. If you were to look at a more detailed picture of the box [ or the actual box ] then you could tell where Embassy cut and pasted the picture of Ing Sik fighting Sammo. The part where their feet dip lower than the photo and go over the bamboo leaf decorations is poorly cut. This is not the case in the picture itself which shows no signs of it being cut and pasted. Our verdict back then was that Embassy got the photos from World Northal who in turn had a bunch of plublicity stills from Golden Harvest. As wih most movies plublicity stills are taken during the movie's production to be published in advance of the film's release. Very often they have nothing to do with the film itself or are based on a scene that was altered or cut from the final release. Basically Ing Sic and Sammo Hung staged this photo for the camera because it looked cool. Another Embassy box that used missleading plublicity stills was for "Golgo 13: Kowloon Assignment"

thedirtytiger

Hehehe anyone got lobbies from this one ? Often the lobbies have promo shots not in the film, just look at ths stills from Hapkido :)

Archived