Jim Van Bebber

Pressure

I love this guys films one thing about Van Bebber he know's how to entertain. Deadbeat at Dawn, The Manson Family and My Sweet Satan are all favorites of mine. I can't imagine what he would achieve with a budget.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hollywood is too busy giving Rob Zombie millions to shoot his crap on 16mm to invest in a genuine talent like Van Bebber.

• Administrator

Back in the early 90's I saw Jim's movie DEADBEAT AT DAWN. I thought it was cool, so I made up a t-shirt design for the film and sent it to him. We got to talking on the phone and he sent me an early cut of MY SWEET SATAN- powerful stuff!

I was in the middle of trying to make an ultra low-budget film myself, and I asked Jim to play a small part in it. He was game, so a friend and I took the 12 hour drive out to his place- a warehouse/studio/apartment. He was playing the part of my character's older brother. We filmed his stuff which included his character kickboxing with mine (yes, he drew blood), a serious speech he gives, and a gory dream sequence. I was really impressed with his acting and how much time and energy he devoted to doing that for me. Jim and all of his buddies (many that had been in his films) were super cool to us. We partied VERY hard, both went off with the nunchakus (he's good) in a sort of "dueling banjoes" kinda way, and he screened raw footage from THE MANSON FAMILY (which was called CHARLIE'S FAMILY at that time) for us on the wall of the studio. It was a great time, Getting to both work and play together.

The guy has a ton of talent, but it was always a struggle for him to get financing. And I know he was trying for a long time to get the cash to complete the Manson film.

We stayed in touch until he moved, then I never heard from him again. I was happily surprised years later when DEADBEAT got a DVD release from Synapse films. But I heard Jim was still going through some crazy shit. Then a few years later I saw that CHARLIE'S FAMILY had finally been finished and released. I bought it while I was out with a friend, but he was so interested in it that I let him borrow it before I even watched it. Then the poor guy died (leaving me with a corpse bride he had comissioned be to create) and I wasn't about to ask his family for the DVD, so I still haven't seen the film yet.

I wish Jim could get some cash to do something new, but he's a real rebel, and I can't see him playing nice with any Hollywood phonies.

Jim Van Bebber has directed a tour directory (or at least footage for it) for the Southern Rock/Metal band Down, which has yet to be released. A bit of trivia, Down vocalist Phil Anselmo was the voice of Satan in 'Charlie's Family'. Phil also contributed some of the music for the film, and there is an unreleased soundtrack with music that was composed and performed by a number of his projects.

Archived