What's your favorite Billy Chong film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Shaolin Patriot
I've been trying to go on a Billy Chong marathon over the past few days. So far, I've only seen two Billy Chong movies (Fist Full and Crystal Fist) and I was just about to watch Kung Fu Executioner but I don't know which version to watch. There's an 80-minute version and a 90-minute version both on YouTube. The 80-minute version is shorter (duh), but it has some scenes that aren't in the 90-minute version. :ooh: I haven't seen the movie before, so could someone tell me which is the most complete version?

80-minute version:

7MElsbeGRD0

90-minute version:

eu7bysgwUNE

Thanks!

Personally, I'd go with the 90 min. version. Images appear somewhat sharper. The 80 min. version is missing some of the opening scene & I noticed some bad video hits later on. It's been years since I've seen the film, but I believe the 10 minute difference was due to an added nude scene and more graphic violence.

And yup, that sure ain't Carl Scott in the screen shot for the 80 min. version! :neutral:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaolin Patriot
I wasn't sure I'd seen any of Chongs movies, but I remember really liking Super Power. You guys are psyching me up for A Fistful of Talons at the New Beverly!:wink:

Come out and see Jade Claw & KF Executioner tomorrow night. If you liked Fistful last week, you'll like these even more! :bigsmile:

Judging by the links you provided, I'd defiantly go with the 80min one!

Thanks! I just watched this version yesterday and I enjoyed it.

For some reason the youtube links seem to show a freeze frame of mostly asian softcore. Maybe someone pranked them- make love not war? It's not just this one, but dozens.

Tell me about it. That's what happens when YouTube allows users to choose their own video thumbnails.

Personally, I'd go with the 90 min. version. Images appear somewhat sharper. The 80 min. version is missing some of the opening scene & I noticed some bad video hits later on. It's been years since I've seen the film, but I believe the 10 minute difference was due to an added nude scene and more graphic violence.

And yup, that sure ain't Carl Scott in the screen shot for the 80 min. version! :neutral:

I might end up watching both versions just to be safe. Thanks for the info! And yes, that isn't Carl Scott in the thumbnail. :squigglemouth: I'll post about my favorites once I finish my Billy Chong movie marathon (4 more movies left) :wink:.

I’ve finally gotten around to watching more Billy Chong movies and I’m glad I did. I saw 5 of the 7 movies he made for the Eternal Film Company from 1979-1983. I made my own Top 5 list, ranking them from best to worst. I excluded Aces Go Places 5 from the list because that isn’t really a Billy Chong movie. That’s like calling Alan Smithee a Jackie Chan movie (granted, both movies wouldn’t make it onto any Top 5 lists anyway).

1. A Fist Full of Talons

I may have a bias for this movie as it’s the first Billy Chong movie I ever saw, but this is my favorite of his. Sun Chung delivers a very unique atmosphere different from most other films at the time and the creative fight scenes by Leung Siu-Hung are fantastic. This movie also has a coherent story and a funky soundtrack. Though far from a masterpiece, in my opinion, A Fist Full is the most consistently entertaining, exciting, and fun Billy Chong movie.

2. Crystal Fist (Jade Claw)

This movie doesn’t impress with its story, but this movie is still fraught with creative fight scenes and fun characters, especially thanks to the interactions between Chong and Simon Yuen. This is definitely the movie that best displays Billy Chong’s physical prowess and the movie in all is a lot of fun. The awesome intro helps.

3. Super Power

This movie doesn’t have the funky soundtrack, the awesome freeze frame, or Simon Yuen from Crystal Fist, but Super Power gets major points for having a great story. The fight/training scenes are still incredibly fun and Billy Chong is as delightful as ever.

4. Sun Dragon

The English dub is terrifically terrible, but the movie itself isn’t that bad. There’s a well-paced story and amusing characters, along with some awesome fight scenes. Billy Chong and Carl Scott both get their chances to shine. A little typical, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

5. Kung Fu Executioner

I don’t know about you, but I thought this film felt like a Godfrey Ho movie, full of ninjas, mustached bad guys, a modern setting, and an awkward English dub. Make of that what you will, but despite some flaws, this movie is saved by some incredible fight scenes that take up a majority of the film. The awesome intro also helps.

Morgoth Bauglir

That is a good top 5. They're all good watchable movies. Hard for me to rank them. But Kung Fu Zombie is my favorite no doubt about it. Fistful of Talons must've been awesome for you. I have a feeling that KF Zombie would be a life changing experience on the big screen.

That is a good top 5. They're all good watchable movies. Hard for me to rank them. But Kung Fu Zombie is my favorite no doubt about it. Fistful of Talons must've been awesome for you. I have a feeling that KF Zombie would be a life changing experience on the big screen.

Haven't seen KF Zombie or KF From Beyond the Grave yet. I've been thinking of turning those two into a little Billy Chong double feature at home.

A Fist Full was a lot of fun for me. That one sticks out as my favorite. Seeing it on the big screen was quite a sight and it was extremely exciting. Can't imagine watching KF Zombie on the big screen. Sounds interesting. :wink:

Morgoth Bauglir

You are so lucky. I have Talons on a Videoasia DVD and it is bad quality. I rarely complain about quality but jesis this one is hard to watch.

You are so lucky. I have Talons on a Videoasia DVD and it is bad quality. I rarely complain about quality but jesis this one is hard to watch.

I wish everyone could experience a kung fu double feature at the New Beverly. It's a lot of fun. If you ever find yourself in LA, you should look at the schedule and definitely stop by. If they screen A Fist Full again, I'd strongly advise as many people as possible to attend.

I've been looking for Chinese VCD's for Billy Chong's movies. I've found the Chinese versions of A Fist Full and Crystal Fist online, but both have terrible video/audio quality. I would love to find those VCD's and watch these movies how they were originally released. A Fist Full deserves a remastered widescreen DVD release in Chinese with English subs. I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Someone make it so!

Morgoth Bauglir

I second that big time. I'm not even that much of a fan. But I do like it and I'd be excited to get it remastered. And Chang Shan is in it which means I have to support it :xd:

I second that big time. I'm not even that much of a fan. But I do like it and I'd be excited to get it remastered. And Chang Shan is in it which means I have to support it :xd:

I emailed Shout Factory asking them if they had any plans on releasing Billy Chong movies in widescreen. I sent in the suggestion, but immediately got an automatic email saying that though they read every suggestion and consider each one of them, they aren’t going to respond to them (dang it). Oh well, I did the best I could and hopefully they will take this idea into consideration.

BTW, I just saw the Chinese version of A Fist Full online and though the subtitles were a pain to read, it was interesting to watch this movie in Chinese. This version also had an extra 6 minutes (including more dialogue scenes and end credits) which didn’t add a whole lot to movie, but they’re interesting to watch for completists. Here’s a link:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTc1MDIxNDc2.html

thanks for the link

No problem. I've also found Crystal Fist in Mandarin if you're interested. I haven't seen this version though because there aren't any subs. I might check it out one day.

Part 1:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTgzNjk1ODE2.html

Part 2:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTgzODQ3MTg0.html?from=y1.2-1-96.3.1-1.1-1-1-0

Saw Crystal Fist at the New Beverly last week. Good movie but I have to say I prefer Fisful of Talons. Before the show Brian Quinn said they were actively trying to track down a 35mm print of Kung Fu Zombie to show there.. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Saw Crystal Fist at the New Beverly last week. Good movie but I have to say I prefer Fisful of Talons. Before the show Brian Quinn said they were actively trying to track down a 35mm print of Kung Fu Zombie to show there.. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Great news! More HK movies! Thanks for the info. I wish I could program a month at the New Bev. The whole calendar would be HK movies. :tongue: Morgoth, if they were to screen KF Zombie, would you fly out to LA to watch it?

a lot of good stuff in youku shame on the quality

The quality is a big issue, but I'll visit the site if I'm desperate to find a movie.

I just watched Super Power, so that's my first Billy Chong flick.

As a whole it was just ok. It's such a typical kung fu movie that it is almost funny, lol. But the last half an hour or so was all classic material. Billy Chong seems legit though, hell of a kicker from what I saw here too. I' think I'll try to check some of his other films out soon. Is Kung Fu Zombie what it sounds like?!

Morgoth Bauglir
I just watched Super Power, so that's my first Billy Chong flick.

Is Kung Fu Zombie what it sounds like?!

No it's even better than it sounds.

Lol actually let me retract that a bit. I was hasty. I forget some times I like Zombie more than most. I would say its not as good as Five Fighters but it is a shit ton of fun.

Just finished watching the Chinese version of Crystal Fist (Jade Claw) and I found out that there's about 5-6 minutes of extra scenes in this version than the US version. Some of the extended scenes are pretty interesting while others aren't. Here's a comparison (Fair warning: The video quality is quite horrendous/there are no subs):

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODUxMDYzMjgw.html

3:25-5:50

After the opening credits, before Billy Chong enters the school disguised as an old man, he walks in as himself while the two teachers are teaching. They think he is challenging them to a fight and is sent away when they find out he has no money.

9:50-10:30

More dialogue when deciding if Chong can join the school.

41:14-42:26

Some dialogue between Simon Yuen and Chong while cooking followed by a brief scene when Chong is being taught/teased by the two teachers.

63:36-65:06

Don't know what's going on here. I don't know Mandarin, but from what I can tell, a girl at the restaurant talks to the rich man and later embarrasses him.

I finally watched Kung Fu Zombie, it was awesome. Highly entertaining movie, that was pretty hilarious (both intentionally and unintentionally), and action packed. I think the plot was actually above average for a fu movie, but it's so fast paced it really doesn't matter. I think I enjoyed this more than Spooky Encounters, but i won't say it's because I think it's a "better movie."

My only complaint is that the action was under cranked most of the time, and took away from the otherwise fantastic kung fu. Always nice to see KYM throwing down.

I have now seen two Billy Chong movies, and this is head and shoulders above Superpower to me. With Superpower I was impressed by Billy Chongs screen fighting ability, but that was about all I liked about it...this had that and more.

I finally watched Kung Fu Zombie, it was awesome. Highly entertaining movie, that was pretty hilarious (both intentionally and unintentionally), and action packed. I think the plot was actually above average for a fu movie, but it's so fast paced it really doesn't matter. I think I enjoyed this more than Spooky Encounters, but i won't say it's because I think it's a "better movie."

My only complaint is that the action was under cranked most of the time, and took away from the otherwise fantastic kung fu. Always nice to see KYM throwing down.

I have now seen two Billy Chong movies, and this is head and shoulders above Superpower to me. With Superpower I was impressed by Billy Chongs screen fighting ability, but that was about all I liked about it...this had that and more.

Still have yet to see KFZ. Sounds like a fun movie to watch. I love the underlined quote. I've seen several movies where I would say the same thing. I'd probably recommend you watch A Fist Full next, but there hasn't been a decent release of this movie yet, which is a huge shame.

When I saw A Fist Full at the New Beverly for the first time, I felt like it was so fast-paced, that it was over in 30 minutes. I was so excited throughout. It felt like the opening credits started, I blinked, and then it was over. If this movie had a half-decent release, I imagine this movie could've gotten a bigger cult following. Very fun movie, but I think I'd wait for a better release before watching it for the first time.

If not A Fist Full, then I would definitely recommend Crystal Fist instead. CF is a very fun movie to watch with some great training/fight scenes. The first time I saw it, I felt like it was very typical, but it's grown on me over time.

Yeah is think fans of our genre tend to say something similar often, haha. I surely do.

I am not too much of a stickler on quality for these old films, if there is a watchable VHS quality release, I'm content.(although id of course prefer better). Fistful sounds awesome, I'll have to see it eventually.

My feelings on Superpower are the same as your first impression of Crystal Fist. How do you feel about Superpower?

Still have yet to see KFZ. Sounds like a fun movie to watch. I love the underlined quote. I've seen several movies where I would say the same thing. I'd probably recommend you watch A Fist Full next, but there hasn't been a decent release of this movie yet, which is a huge shame.

When I saw A Fist Full at the New Beverly for the first time, I felt like it was so fast-paced, that it was over in 30 minutes. I was so excited throughout. It felt like the opening credits started, I blinked, and then it was over. If this movie had a half-decent release, I imagine this movie could've gotten a bigger cult following. Very fun movie, but I think I'd wait for a better release before watching it for the first time.

If not A Fist Full, then I would definitely recommend Crystal Fist instead. CF is a very fun movie to watch with some great training/fight scenes. The first time I saw it, I felt like it was very typical, but it's grown on me over time.

Yeah is think fans of our genre tend to say something similar often, haha. I surely do.

I am not too much of a stickler on quality for these old films, if there is a watchable VHS quality release, I'm content.(although id of course prefer better). Fistful sounds awesome, I'll have to see it eventually.

My feelings on Superpower are the same as your first impression of Crystal Fist. How do you feel about Superpower?

I actually really liked Super Power. I thought the fights were a lot of fun to watch and I thought Billy Chong was a "delightful" lead. Honestly, I think Crystal Fist is even more typical than Super Power. It at first seems like an obvious Jackie Chan rip-off, but after watching it again, it grew on me. The funky soundtrack and the interactions between Simon Yuen and Chong are definitely highlights. The revenge plot is there but it's in the shadow of an otherwise fun movie.

The video quality for A Fist Full is actually barely watchable. I feel like video quality plays a big part in how much you enjoy a movie which is why I was overwhelmed watching A Fist Full on the big screen. Just go into it open-minded. If you somehow get passed the quality, it's a lot of fun. Nothing ground-breaking, but that's just fine.

Archived