What's your favorite Billy Chong film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Yakuza954

He looks like an ethnic chinese to me. Lo Lieh also made plenty of movies and was from Indonesia. This is the first time I've ever heard of him being cocky though. Conan Lee, anyone?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

I always thought Lo Lieh was Chinese, that's interesting info. Billy looked like he was either from India or maybe of a mixed ancestry but never thought he looked full Chinese. Alexander Fu Sheng also looked like he was mixed with other than just Chinese ancestry as well.

Guest wizard12220

Lo Lieh is Chinese and I heard that he was born in Medan, Indonesia.

Billy is Indonesian from Chinese descent.

His brother, Leo Chandra was also used to be an actor, and starred in many Indonesian action/martial arts movies

Guest Chinatown Kid

That's interesting info, thanks. I think I keep confusing Indonesia with India, which is two different places. I always thought Billy had features like the people of India although he looked like he was mixed with other Asian blood as well.

Guest WalkOn

Wizard12220, do you still have Rio sang juara available? (trade/sell/whatever!) Please let me know, or show us a clip. :D

Regards,

Cesar

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for that confirmation Yakuza, I knew Fu Sheng didn't look like he was 100% Chinese. I wonder if if he felt a kinship with Bruce being from the same mixed races? Fu Sheng bought the same house Bruce had lived in in HK and probably looked up to him.

Guest the dirty tiger
Kind of sad that Chong never became a big star

Well in Indonesia he is pretty damn popular, everyone knows who he is ( except under his real name ), he doesnt exactly get mobbed in the street but he is on tv there and is still making shows. He is a household name in Indo, but their stuff doesnt exactly travel well especially since it is all super low budget and so damn frickin hard to find outside of Indonesia in the first place. Apart from that it never ever has english subitles so nobody who doesnt speak Bahasa will bother watching it except for a few of us

Guest rdenn

i remember reading an interview a while ago with robert samuels from red wolf, i dont give a dam.. and he said he made a film with billy chong in indo.. does anyone have any info on this..

Morgoth Bauglir

You hit a nerve with me here Boxer. I didn't think there was anyone out there who liked this movie as much as me. You may like it more than me. :eek: This is my favorite Billy Chong movie and it has my favorite performances from long time veterans Kong Do and Chan Lau. You should pick up the Videoasia version. It runs 93:50 and it's a much better movie. There's tons of small comedy and story fragments that were cut out, even a couple action bits. And the action in this movie is white hot so I don't know why they would cut anything out.

The Videoasia version also comes with Fistful of Talons and an awkward uninformative Billy Chong interview.

One Armed Boxer
You hit a nerve with me here Boxer. I didn't think there was anyone out there who liked this movie as much as me. You may like it more than me. :eek: This is my favorite Billy Chong movie and it has my favorite performances from long time veterans Kong Do and Chan Lau.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I stumbled across a genuine old-school kung-fu movie that I got into as much as this one, for me it just had all the right ingredients in all the right doses. & anything that has Kwan Yung-moon letting loose in is always worth a watch.

You should pick up the Videoasia version. It runs 93:50 and it's a much better movie. There's tons of small comedy and story fragments that were cut out, even a couple action bits. And the action in this movie is white hot so I don't know why they would cut anything out.

The Videoasia version also comes with Fistful of Talons and an awkward uninformative Billy Chong interview.

Thanks for the info, the version I have is the Black Belt Theatre release.

Based on this thread, it sounds like the other Chong movies that I should check out are -

Crystal Fist

Sun Dragon

Kung Fu Executioner

Super Power

A Fistful of Talons

Truthfully I've only seen Chong in 'Kung Fu Zombie' and 'Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave'.

Morgoth Bauglir

You should check out Kung Fu Zombie stills. What are you waiting for, Halloween?

Thunderscore great post/picture.

OAB I'm with you, if Kwan Young Moon is in a movie I can't pass it up. On the Tai Seng Inheritor of Kung Fu DVD Bobby Samuels says that Kwan used to put on shows and have cars run over him. Maybe he was born invincible, I don't know. But I would believe it. That first fight he has with BIlly Chong in KF Zombie is one of my favorite fights. On a bunch of the Groundzero DVDs they have this fight scene as a special feature edited with Chan Lau cut out for the most part so that the action isn't interrupted. I show this clip to people all the time. All the people I've shown this fight to are underwhelmed. These people piss me off!

Morgoth Bauglir

Because he works in Indonesia his other movies and TV work aren't talked about much. I remember some awesome clips posted by rdenn but I haven't been able to find the movies.

One Armed Boxer
One of my secret shames: I've never seen a Billy Chong movie.

Your doctors license has just been.....revoked!

I wasn't sure I'd seen any of Chongs movies, but I remember really liking Super Power. You guys are psyching me up for A Fistful of Talons at the New Beverly!:wink:

Your doctors license has just been.....revoked!

Very well, then. I shall watch one before the Earth finishes its current revolution...perhaps two or three.

I've been trying to go on a Billy Chong marathon over the past few days. So far, I've only seen two Billy Chong movies (Fist Full and Crystal Fist) and I was just about to watch Kung Fu Executioner but I don't know which version to watch. There's an 80-minute version and a 90-minute version both on YouTube. The 80-minute version is shorter (duh), but it has some scenes that aren't in the 90-minute version. :ooh: I haven't seen the movie before, so could someone tell me which is the most complete version?

80-minute version:

7MElsbeGRD0

90-minute version:

eu7bysgwUNE

Thanks!

NoKUNGFUforYU

For some reason the youtube links seem to show a freeze frame of mostly asian softcore. Maybe someone pranked them- make love not war? It's not just this one, but dozens.

thegoldenstate

Yeah ... I've noticed that before. I'm guessing that the person that posts the videos puts that stuff as preview images in hopes of getting more clicks/ad revenue

For some reason the youtube links seem to show a freeze frame of mostly asian softcore. Maybe someone pranked them- make love not war? It's not just this one, but dozens.

Archived