What's your favorite Billy Chong film?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

I'm a big fan of Billy Chong and like all the films he made, my favorite would probably be Sun Dragon aka A Hard Way to Die strictly for the awesome fight action followed closely by Kung Fu Executioner. Chong and Carl Scott made a good pairing on screen imo. What's your favorite Chong movie? :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

definetely Crystal Fist. billy looks fantastic under Yuen Clan choreography.

kung fu executioner rocks too, altho i was more interested in watching Carl Scott fight..even tho he has absolutely no purpose in the story, outside from providing an entertaining fight here and there..

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yes Crystal Fist aka Jade Claw featured awesome action as well, for some reason I like Super Power a little better though....

One of my favorite scenes in Kung Fu Executioner is when Billy takes on Chiang Tao and his fellow Samurai gang, can Billy use those Chucks or what! Carl Scott also showed he was very proficent with them as well. I love the opening intro in KFE, definately bad ass!

Guest Dion Brother

for a pure movie, FIST FULL OF TALONS. For the best display of fighting, caught between CRYSTAL FIST and KUNG FU EXECUTIONER.

Guest Chinatown Kid

That clip of Pendekai Liar looked pretty good, I'm gonna have to see this film! Any idea what year it was made?

Guest WalkOn

Billy Chong's one of my top favorite stars. It's tough placing them in order, but here goes...

1. Kung Fu Executioner

2. Crystal Fist

3. A Hard Way to Die

4. Super Power

5. Kung Fu Zombie

6. A Fistful of Talons

7. Pendekar Liar

8. Kung Fu Beyond the Grave

9. Aces Go Places V (too bad it was such a short cameo)

Black Belt Karate nor Invincible Monkey Fists didn't leave too much of an impression.

Guest Isfahani
for a pure movie, FIST FULL OF TALONS

Seconded.

I like Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave next to that... It's all good tho.

Guest SunChien2004

My favorites would have to be Super Power and Crystal Fist.

On a side note, I have a question about a couple of Billy Chong movies, in Kung Fu Executioner and Sun Dragon, does Carl Scott and the various foreigners throughout the film speak actual Chinese? I mean, before the English dub of course.

Guest Chinatown Kid

That's a good question, I'm not sure but I would guess that Carl, Joseph Jennings and Louis Neglia were not fluent in the Chinese language and where speaking English when they delivered their lines. Carl Scott might have picked up the Chinese language some though because he went to HK and made not only KE and Sun Dragon but was also in Soul Brothers of Kung Fu and Bruce Lee: The Man/The Myth both starring Bruce Li. All these films were from Eternal who he must have had a contract for so my guess is he would have probably picked up some of the language being in HK around a mainly Chinese enviroment. I think Sun Dragon was supposedly filmed in Arizona but I believe the majority of it was probably filmed in HK or Taiwan masquerading as Arizona.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

1.Kung Fu Zombie-man I love this one!!

2.Super Power

3.Crystal Fist

4.Kung Fu Beyond The Grave

Its just too bad he wasnt able to match onscreen skill with some of the bigger names in the genre.

Guest rederror

Well i havent seen all of Billy Chong's films but i got hold of Fistful of Tallons many years ago and would have to put that down as my favourite. Its a very well directed movie, very slick, stylish and brutal to say the least.

Guest Frank Lakatos

1) Jade Claw(Billy and Yuen clan greatness)

2) Fistfull of Talons(wacked out of place but interest and all with Hwang In Shik and Robert Tai)

3) Kung Fu Zombie(hard frenetic action the way I like it. the only movie that matches the speed and power of the action[not choreography] in this movie is The Victim and Pedicab Driver)

4) some parts of Pendekar Liar.

5) Sun Dragons(Billy and his friend doing a double team against the white fighter in the middle of the desert as if it was some double team against a kung fu master in China is wickedly crazy!)

There are a few other 70's taiwanese movies he did with Chen Kuan tai that I haven't seen yet and there's still much more wicked Indonesian made Billy Chong movies out there. His Pentjak Silat choreography is just as interesting as his Taiwanese Kung Fu choreography.

Wan once told me that Golden Harvest considered hiring Billy Chong to replace the injured Jackie Chan during the Armour of God production.

Walkon, email me at lakatosfrank@hotmail.com, I'm on hotmail now, not yahoo anymore. Send me your postal address as soon as you can.

Thanks

Frank

Guest Iron Boat

The film he did with Chen Kuan Tai is Invincible Monkey Fist, and that is one different kind of flick. Its shot on location in Taiwan, a lot of beautiful scenery. The main villian is one memorable cat, they look almost like Pirates.

Guest Chinatown Kid

To be honest, I prefer Chong over Chan as well. Billy was more intense in his style of fighting imo. They are both great though.

Guest rdenn

he was excellent one of my favourites for sure but i think becuase he was indonisian he wouldnt of been a big star in hong kong anyway (well he proberley was in his home country) plus i think he was quite cocky in real life.

Archived