Merantau (2009)

CrazyFrog

make believe

any word when Magnet / Magnolia is going to release this? The other day I was this close to ordering a bootleg of it. It was also the 130 minute version which made it all the more tempting.

I just saw Merantau in the theater yesterday at the Fantasia film festival. I saw this review from the main site of KFC

http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-merantau-warrior-2009-14390

My quick take on the film is that the action is phenomenal. There's a fight on a narrow pedestrian bridge, which pulled me out of my seat - well shot, well choreographed, and full of drama. Iko Uwais is the love child of Gumby & Tony Jaa. He's one of the most inventive & capable of fighters I've seen in years. Director Gareth Evans put together a very well shot film, making great use of Jakarta locations; Merantau does not look like a film shot by amateurs. The premise of the film's plot is simple & compelling enough - a young man leaves his home in a small town and moves the city, challenging himself against the adversity of life. With all of that, you would think that Merantau couldn't go wrong, but the film is let down by many unintentionally hilarious scenes, bad dialogue, and acting performances that were so strange there are no words for them. The audience broke into laughter so many times during scenes that were meant to be dramatic, but killed by strange turns of phrase or awkward moments. Merantau's bad guy is probably the funniest villain I've ever seen in a martial arts film - I can't place his accent, which he goes in and out of throughout the movie. He could be French, Spanish, or South African. He's a Western sex-slave trader, who's inclined to go around hugging his fellow gangsters while bleeding on them profusely. There's a scene in which he takes a bottle to the face that cracked people up, and when he smashes a glass of scotch against his brother's head in a moment that I think was meant to be dramatic, it was one of the best WTF moments I've ever had watching a movie. It's crazy, hard to describe and needs to be seen to be believed. As a Martial arts film, Merantau is noteworthy for it's action scenes, but as a cult classic/midnight madness film it has a huge future ahead of it.

I saw Merantau a while ago now and hugely enjoyed it. Some great and skilful action from a potentially future martial-arts superstar. I really enjoyed the Silat style making the fight sequences look different and still very exciting. It was also good to see the action crescendo towards the end of the film with the fights getting better and better throughout the movie.

OpiumKungFuCracker

For those of you who have seen it, what do you think?? I haven't seen any other Indonesian martial arts flick besides this one, but I would put it up there as one of my favorite martial arts movie in the past three years or so...

The bluray was released yesterday and I ordered it on Amazon.. Not many special features with just a behind the scenes footage...

81myCSIK98L._AA1500_.jpg

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm looking forward to watching this. I just got the DVD and there's bunch of special features. Deleted scenes, bloopers, making of Merantau, video production journal, bamboo pole stunt and storyboard to screen: fight comparison.

I really enjoyed Merantau and am really looking forward to Iko Uwais' next movie. I would tend to agree with OKFC its definitely amongst the best martial-arts movies of the last few years.

I thought it was solid, I found the dvd sitting out on the shelf last week at FYE! it definitely didn't provide the same level of thrills that Ong Bak did, and the similarities are very obvious, but it was definitely one of the best martial arts films produced in 2009 that I've seen, and a worthy addition to the collection.

I thought it was solid, I found the dvd sitting out on the shelf last week at FYE! it definitely didn't provide the same level of thrills that Ong Bak did, and the similarities are very obvious, but it was definitely one of the best martial arts films produced in 2009 that I've seen, and a worthy addition to the collection.

So true but still very good.

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ yep, this movie is phenomenal got it on bluray..... I love the story and the characters you care about, good stuff...

ShaOW!linDude

Hmmm. This is interesting. I have the Blu-ray (112 mins.) and the first version I bought (put out by BonZai Media Corp.) which states it's uncut (108 mins.). I just threw both copies in the dvd player to double check and those are correct run-times.

Hmmm. I watched these like within a month or so of each other but I don't remember any differences to tell you the truth. Certainly not in the fight scenes.

Sounds to me like you should get the Blu-ray. It's got a bunch of extras including a deleted fight sequence.

OpiumKungFuCracker

^ yeah, I think the scenes that were in the director's cut are the deleted scenes included in the bluray/dvd.... It's mostly Yuda mentoring that little kid when he got to Jakarta and some family drama with his brothers in the beginning of the film...

I got the DVD the special features are all good and one of the deleted scenes I would of liked to have in the film. The only thing is I had slight difficulty getting the subtitles to work but that's an intense nitpick.

This movie is off the chain, a modern martial arts film with good acting, good writing and some of the best action scenes ever to be filmed. This is one sweet episode of the Twilight Zone.

I would put the final two on one fight as the best two on one fight of the decade even surpassing the one in Ong Bak2.

Just watched this movie last night, wanted to watch the uncut version first time if I could but it wasn't happening so finally gave in and purchased the region 2 disc. What can I say? The movie was awesome and the best thing, I enjoyed it as a complete piece. The tone the director set was really involving for me.

I would put the final two on one fight as the best two on one fight of the decade even surpassing the one in Ong Bak2.

You know what, I actually thought that fight, at least the beginning of it before they get the weapons out to be the worst fight in the film. The fight between Yuda and the Silat master in the lift was the best for me.

Just to be really critical, some of the blows weren't sold as hard as you might see in a Tony Jaa film for instance and some stunt guys reactions/falls were a little soft and there were couple of dodgy bits of wirework but considering this was a first time attempt for a lot of the crew it's definately a brilliant achievement. Hope there's another in line.

Morgoth Bauglir
Me too, but I hope unlike Ong Bak, they go with an original movie instead of sequels.

There's sequels to Ong Bak?:tongue:

I didn't care for Merantau. The elevator fight was good. I can't say any other fights stood out to me. I wish they would have got some guys with high level skills to play the main bad guys. Maybe then I would speak more highly of this movie.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I'll agree with you that the main bad guy is skill less, but Laurent Buson, the other one, is good. He's a member of Z stunt team. Check this out:

zLyy4YAl2Qk

Me too, but I hope unlike Ong Bak, they go with an original movie instead of sequels.

No sequels to "Merantau". From what I heard, the next project to begin shooting in a few months is called "The Raid", it was described as a cross between "Die Hard" and "Assault in Precint 13" played out as a martial arts picture.

After that is "Berandal", the setting is in a prison and might have Iko Uwais alongside a 'foreign' actor.

• Administrator
I'll agree with you that the main bad guy is skill less, but Laurent Buson, the other one, is good. He's a member of Z stunt team. Check this out:

Thanks for posting that. I don't think I've seen too much of the Z Team's work. Those guys are really impressive!

No sequels to "Merantau". From what I heard, the next project to begin shooting in a few months is called "The Raid", it was described as a cross between "Die Hard" and "Assault in Precint 13" played out as a martial arts picture.

After that is "Berandal", the setting is in a prison and might have Iko Uwais alongside a 'foreign' actor.

Good news indeed Bengs! I am anxious to see more from Iko Uwais. Do you know if these projects are going to be with Iko Uwais teaming up with MERANTAU's director again?

I really enjoyed MERANTAU. I picked up the UK DVD when it came out. My buddy Gorhama found the BD for a great price and got it for me :bigsmile:, so I'm looking forward to watching it again in style, and seeing all of the extras.

Personally, I thought the lift fight was incredible. I also really loved seeing Iko's Silat skills in the pedestrian bridge scene. The end fight was very, very cool. Great stuff. Looking forward to the next one from any of the guys involved.