Merantau (2009)

CrazyFrog

I look forward to your review but wonder do you mean your review will be a video review, or just a regular text-based review of the DVD?:confused:

Footage from the DVD screener. I am reviewing that.

When you go to youtube.com what do you see? What browser are you using?

Footage from the DVD screener. I am reviewing that.

When you go to youtube.com what do you see? What browser are you using?

firefox

i see...

Hello, either you have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I've got no idea what the problem is as I have Java on and the latest Flash player. I tried doing a search on google and found what was supposed to be a solution. I uninstalled and reinstalled it just doesn't work. Usually I'd just watched the videos through the forum and they played just fine (unless there's a request stopping other sites from embedding).

Guest WuxiaFan
watched it last night, not bad film real simple plot and well paced, the Silat is quite good ,few dodgy bits but it more good than bad 7/10

I want to check this one out. Trailer looked good. Thanks shapes! :smile:

Apparently, the DVD is out. EThaiCD doesn't carry it, some Indonesian site had a version without English subs, so I ended up downloading a subbed version

In short, - if we didn't have Tony Jaa, it would be an impressive film. But since we do, Merantau looks just like yet another MA flick. I thought, Silat doesn't look so spectacular (read: flashy) on film overall. The guy who plays the hero, while a talented practitioner, lacks unique skills of Tony and doesn't have a strong presence. Where Jaa channels raw, merciless fury, main character here still looks like a nice guy, just pissed off.

Another thing. Jaa demonstrates a very fine, precise, fluid and flawless technique, while Iko Uwais looks just like another action star ( Choopong or Mike B). I think all these guys are somewhat sloppy and far from perfect.

The movie starts way too slow. In the first hour we have 3 action bits which last a few seconds each. There are a couple of wire assisted stunts(falls) that completely ruined the moment for me. I'd rather had them cut. I thought that fights lacked that pure insanity, desperation and fury. I don't know.

All the actors are very young, almost kids, and very often I just couldn't take them seriously

The good part. I can't find a single thing to complain about the way the fights were shot. Just great. Very, I mean, VERY long takes looked unbelievable at this day and age.

The elevator fight was the best, IMO. For the most time Uwais just beats the unskilled henchmen, but the elevator fight had him against a comparable fighter and the result was very satisfying. The final showdown was very good with some painfully looking falls. Overall, while not totally jaw dropping, the action was solid, well shot and edited. I repeat, if I didnt see Jaa's movies, I would rate it much higher, but I'm afraid, Jaa set a VERY high standart.

Another thing I didn't really liked - after the final fight the movie drags on for another almost 20 minutes and I had to force myself to sit through, knowing than there's no more action left...

Better than anything Chupong or Mike B ever did. To my tastes, better than most of recent Jet's and Donnie's work action-wise. I would put it right after Jaa's work and Jeeja's Chocolate .

amazon.uk will have it in April

To my tastes, better than most of recent Jet's and Donnie's work action-wise. I would put it right after Jaa's work and Jeeja's Chocolate .

amazon.uk will have it in April

being worse than jaa's no bad thing, after all he raised the bar so frelling high, I look forward to this.:bigsmile:

only £7.49 on Amazon UK!:bigsmile:

I saw this the other day with subs and i enjoyed the heck out of it. The storyline is well done though they didnt really elaborate on the basic setup that well, the movie sort of just turns into back to back fight scenes about halfway through. The fights are really well done, there isn't much brutality like a Jaa or sammo movie apart from a few nasty falls here and there but i really liked the choreography, its kind of hard to describe but the trailer gives you a good example of what the fighting is like.

Saw this and thought the action was extreamly generic. I hardly saw any silat at all.

please don't take any offence but I would appreciate to know more about your dislikes and likes. Plus further opinions about why you felt this about the film. I'm just curious given your 2 brief posts so far

He's right(imo). The action is extremely generic. He comes off rather Jack like but there's nothing in the action that goes, boom. Most of the strikes are the same in every fight against every opponent even the same opponent. The fight in the elevator is the best and the one that most shows silat.

Don't expect Jaa type action or performance. Don't expect to see a movie full of silat on display.

please don't take any offence but I would appreciate to know more about your dislikes and likes. Plus further opinions about why you felt this about the film. I'm just curious given your 2 brief posts so far

I wasn't aware that you had to have a ton posts to state an opinion on a film. Everyone's new on some board at some point and not every newb writes an essay for their first post. When I said the action was generic that means it's nothing new or groundbreaking. The techniques showcased are like something you can find in a power rangers episode or something. It's not like it showcased much stylistic silat techniques in the movie. Let's put it this way this dude in this movie doesn't do for Silat what Tony Jaa did for Muay Thai. Basically this is your basic B movie that goes straight to video.

I wasn't aware that you had to have a ton posts to state an opinion on a film. Everyone's new on some board at some point and not every newb writes an essay for their first post. When I said the action was generic that means it's nothing new or groundbreaking. The techniques showcased are like something you can find in a power rangers episode or something. It's not like it showcased much stylistic silat techniques in the movie. Let's put it this way this dude in this movie doesn't do for Silat what Tony Jaa did for Muay Thai. Basically this is your basic B movie that goes straight to video.

Of course you don't have to have a ton of posts or write an essay. I just didn't know what to take from what you had said. Was it good and entertaining regardless of whether there was nothing ground-breaking used? I couldn't tell that is all.

Anyway welcome to the forum!:bigsmile: