Merantau (2009)

CrazyFrog

jiujitsu77
Let's clarify a few things... this particular Pencak Silat (Penjak Silat is an old spelling) is an Indonesian martial arts, not Malaysian. Although Indonesians and Malaysians are both have the same roots, they're Malays, this is still a unique Indonesian martial arts film from Indonesia.

hey quick question...the karambit isnt exclusive to the indonesian silat am i correct?

for everyone out there that is the knife he used at the beginning of the trailer. im sure most of you know of it though. its a cool little weapon and actually still practical.

blue_skies

I'm not blown away by that trailer but my interest is certainly peaked.

PLENTY OF PRODUCTION blogs on youtube too.

I keep hearing guys compare SPL and Flash point to Thai style of fighting,but in my opinion it looked MMA not really Thai.I'll check the movie out when it comes online.If it's good enough,I'll buy it.

HyperDrive
hey quick question...the karambit isnt exclusive to the indonesian silat am i correct?

for everyone out there that is the knife he used at the beginning of the trailer. im sure most of you know of it though. its a cool little weapon and actually still practical.

Yes you are. It's also used in Malaysian silat and Filipino martial arts.

Anyways, there is one aspect of this movie I'm wondering about. That would be the claim that this is the first Indonesian martial arts film in a quarter of a century.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6811&highlight=Indonesian&page=3

Falkor posted footage of one from 1991 in the above link. So do they mean a silat-heavy movie? Or in general? I know that this footage falls just outside the 20 year mark. It's just that I find it hard to believe that one hasn't been made since then....

Mark Pollard

The next trailer for this film needs to play up the dramatic element. Based on what I have seen, this film will have a stronger story than anything coming out of Thailand. Also, Todd tells me we've only seen a portion of the film so far, basically what was completed at the time the trailer was released. I was a little concerned about the lack of distinction in the fighting as well but I'm now confident there is more to offer in terms of fighting technique.

Merantau is a new Indonesian Pencak Silat movie directed by a British director.

It was officially selected as closing film of PiFan 2009 (Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival).

Watch the trailer at:

Guest Yi-Long

The last link mentions that when it comes over to the west, it will be a cut version. They'll try to include the original cut on the disc as well, but let's hope they mean it's on a seperate 2nd disc, and not 2 versions on 1 disc.

I still dont understand why 'we' (the west) need an 'international' version for these movies, cause it pretty much always makes the movies worse, not better, but we've had that discussion for many MANY years now (Hell, even Seven Samurai was released in the west CUT(!) )

ToothbrushFu

There were a lot on interesting making-of videos put up on the official site ( http://www.merantau-movie.com/ ) while this was in production. Its worth having a look at those if you want to see what kind of action they were going for. No doubt they'll all turn up on the DVD release.

BTW the director used to post occasionally on the now-defunct KFCC forums.

Very promising, anyone know the DVD release date yet...with ENG subs?

you know we need a thread with a list of recently or just about to be released films on DVD! maybe with youtube vids links included? I see loads of promising trailers on this site, then forget their names by the time a DVD eventually happens. what do you guys think?

• Administrator
Very promising, anyone know the DVD release date yet...with ENG subs?

you know we need a thread with a list of recently or just about to be released films on DVD! maybe with youtube vids links included? I see loads of promising trailers on this site, then forget their names by the time a DVD eventually happens. what do you guys think?

Great idea! Maybe just call it "Upcoming Flicks" and we can just have release dates, trailers, ect.

Still playing at the Indonesian theaters for the second week. Some theaters are even playing it with English subtitle.

The movie is having a good word of mouth, so hopefully it can draw good box office.