Merantau (2009)

CrazyFrog

does anyone know which online retailers carry official Indonesian dvds? Also, what type of quality are they picture wise, do most of them have eng subs, and generally how long is the wait between theater and dvd releases in Indonesia?

does anyone know which online retailers carry official Indonesian dvds? Also, what type of quality are they picture wise, do most of them have eng subs, and generally how long is the wait between theater and dvd releases in Indonesia?

Actually, I admire and respect what director Garth Evans is doing. In his latest blog he said it will be a Region ALL, English subtitle, Uncut (Deleted Scenes included) and Original Soundtrack as DVD-ROM Content. This is how fans have always wanted the versions of their favorite films released. Looks like he is listening (Heck, he is a fan himself!). I am sure the wait for the Raid release will be worth the wait.

As for retailers, YesAsia.com has been the best reliable resource for 10+ years for me.

Here is a result of their Indonesia Inventory (they do music, books, electronics, and other media as well). The media are shipped from the original distributors. So the best possible quality.

and generally how long is the wait between theater and dvd releases in Indonesia?

Well the Merantau Indonesian DVD came out March February 2010. The US version came out on DVD February 2011, 1 year later. I noticed the same with other films like Ong Bak 2 and Ip Man.

Typically, I do not wait for the US release and order from the original International release date. The DVDs have better features for one.

yeah,Yesasia is my preferred site for Hong Kong, Japanese and Korean dvds. I never noticed them selling the Indonesian version of Merantau though, only the UK and US version. I just waited and got the US one, but apparently Merantau's orignal Indonesian dvd has no eng subs. I wonder if The Raid will when it comes out? I'm trying to gauge how the long the wait will be for it on dvd. some hope out there that the US release will be timed very close to the Indonesian one.

ShaOW!linDude
The US version came out on DVD February 2011, 1 year later.

Actually if memory serves me correctly, this was released Dec. 28, 2010, the Tuesday after Xmas. Not that it matters, I reckon.

yeah,Yesasia is my preferred site for Hong Kong, Japanese and Korean dvds. I never noticed them selling the Indonesian version of Merantau though, only the UK and US version. I just waited and got the US one, but apparently Merantau's orignal Indonesian dvd has no eng subs. I wonder if The Raid will when it comes out? I'm trying to gauge how the long the wait will be for it on dvd. some hope out there that the US release will be timed very close to the Indonesian one.

Here is a list of all versions.

February 2010 was the first release of the film. Still 107 minutes. So an uncut version (even the Indonesian one) was never released.

And yes the DVD came out in December 2010 and the Blu Ray was Feb 2011.

List of deleted scenes being cut were:

1) Yuda's life in Sumatra where he had crush on a girl and being ridiculed by his brother for being not serious on working in the farm

2) ceremony or ritual from his village celebrating Yuda's would be Merantau journey

3) Yuda's attempt to teach Adit (the kid) the philosophy of Silat

4) the job interview scene, in which on this scene, Eric invited Yuda to recruitment center when he found Yuda hadn't found any job yet.

As for the release dates. They have yet to be determined, but the Indonesian cut will be out at least 6 months prior to any DVD release we will see internationally. That's just how it works. And again, the first prints are usually good and fair for the year before we will ever see it on Blu Ray or 6months for DVD. Martial Arts films have always had this issue of release dates dating back to Bruce Lee's films. As well as nearly all the Shaw's.

I'm excited about the director's choice, whichever it may be. I'm positive it will not be disappointing.

Gareth Evans just recently posted on Twitter that the SE DVD of Merantau should be out in December. Just watched this for the 2nd time again tonight (the international cut), and I've got to say I really enjoyed a lot more this time, great film! the first time I watched it was last year, after watching Disciples of the 36th Chamber, Chocolate, and Ong-Bak back-to-back-to back. then watched Merantau at like 4am, and although I liked it, guess I was too burned out for the night to fully recognize how good it was. After the past few months, my anticipation has come to a boiling point for The Raid, so I decided to rewatch Merantau, and I'm really glad I did. now I really can't fucking wait for The Raid! good news is, Todd Brown confirmed the Indonesian release has been pushed back so they can co-ordinate an international release to be simultaneous. shouldn't be long now!!

I enjoyed this film very much. Sorry I was so late to it, however, I found it worth the wait. So many productions to catch up on, I'll never be bored after tracking down some of these titles.

Man, I just read this entire thread in reverse, I want an hour of my life back, it's like a thread of the banned:xd: I keed-keed:angel:

I'm late to the party on this one myself, I'm going to watch it on netflicks, I've already seen "the totally eyeblowing fn awesome" - The Raid, so I'm going in not expecting the same performances, if anything it will be cool to see the buildup between this first movie and The Raid. After watching the trailer again I certinaly see the similarities with Ong Bak, but that's certainly not a bad thing.

Unless you were so interested to Indonesian culture, you probably don't care about those deleted scenes at all

2) ceremony or ritual from his village celebrating Yuda's would be Merantau journey

Not to bring the whole cut/uncut thing back, cause Jesus Christ knows there are already 18 pages of it in this thread, but these are the scenes I personally hate to see get cut out, a good part of the reason I like Asian/foreign cinema is the culture. I do understand however that most westerners are going into it for the action hence the cuts.

It does sadden me when I read reviews on people complaining about Tony Jaa's dance scene in Ong Bak 2, first the dancing is part of the fkn plot, second Jaa does some amazing acrobatics in that scene while changing out Thai masks, it's amazing and as good as the fight scene it leads up to, the whole royal setpiece was fantastic.

Anyways, I'm all down for this Southeast MA movies coming out, growing up on Kung Fu/Karate flicks it's great to get some other styles in the mix, would LOVE to see a movie with Muay Thai and Silat squaring off:nerd:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Man, I just read this entire thread in reverse, I want an hour of my life back, it's like a thread of the banned:xd: I keed-keed:angel:

I'm late to the party on this one myself, I'm going to watch it on netflicks, I've already seen "the totally eyeblowing fn awesome" - The Raid, so I'm going in not expecting the same performances, if anything it will be cool to see the buildup between this first movie and The Raid. After watching the trailer again I certinaly see the similarities with Ong Bak, but that's certainly not a bad thing.

Not to bring the whole cut/uncut thing back, cause Jesus Christ knows there are already 18 pages of it in this thread, but these are the scenes I personally hate to see get cut out, a good part of the reason I like Asian/foreign cinema is the culture. I do understand however that most westerners are going into it for the action hence the cuts.

It does sadden me when I read reviews on people complaining about Tony Jaa's dance scene in Ong Bak 2, first the dancing is part of the fkn plot, second Jaa does some amazing acrobatics in that scene while changing out Thai masks, it's amazing and as good as the fight scene it leads up to, the whole royal setpiece was fantastic.

Anyways, I'm all down for this Southeast MA movies coming out, growing up on Kung Fu/Karate flicks it's great to get some other styles in the mix, would LOVE to see a movie with Muay Thai and Silat squaring off:nerd:

Agreed, no need to cut out the culture aspect of a Martial arts movie.. If people can't handle it, then they should go someplace else... Seriously hate the butchering of foreign movies...

Agreed, no need to cut out the culture aspect of a Martial arts movie.. If people can't handle it, then they should go someplace else... Seriously hate the butchering of foreign movies...

Well I don't know if I'd call it butchered, more like a watering down to me.

It seems counterproductive to go out of your way not to buy the cut version though, if you don't show support for these movie we probably won't get anything at all, the more support we give the better chances of getting the uncut version, and not to mention the people making these movies are the ones truly deserving of the support, the better the disk does in the West the more funding they might get for their next movie. Just my opinion though, let's not argue about it for 18 pages ;P

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well I don't know if I'd call it butchered, more like a watering down to me.

It seems counterproductive to go out of your way not to buy the cut version though, if you don't show support for these movie we probably won't get anything at all, the more support we give the better chances of getting the uncut version, and not to mention the people making these movies are the ones truly deserving of the support, the better the disk does in the West the more funding they might get for their next movie. Just my opinion though, let's not argue about it for 18 pages ;P

Yi-long is no longer here, lol... I don't think it be a problem now...:tongue:

Yi-long is no longer here, lol... I don't think it be a problem now...:tongue:

I know lol I'm in a goofy mood today, especially after reading the "is it just me" thread in the general section:tongue:

Watched this the other night, the first half I couldn't help but compare it to Ong Bak and TYG, and Iko really does look a lot like Jaa with that mop on top, seems Mr Evans was heavily influenced by Jaa and his movies(which is a great thing imo), the fights didn't really get going till the strip club, where it started getting good, the villains were of your typical one dimensional foreigners found in Asian movies. Where this movie hits home is it really sticks the ending hard, I was spoiled the ending a couple months ago but luckily forgot about it till it happened, it was a ballsy ending that elavated this movie significantly.

It seems they really got the hang of bringing Silat Choreography to screen in the Raid, I wonder how similar Muay Thai and Silat is? The action in Merantau looked a lot like Muay Thai, once again, that is by no means a bad thing.

Can't wait to see the next movie coming out from Indonesia, these guys have raised the bar for everyone.

It's a mishmash of looks and feels. He does resemble TJ here and it feels like the pictures that you named. The action to me comes off like Jack's stuff right down to the rhythm and body language. The silat is there but it's done like Jack. The elevator fight is the one that really says silat. The end with the 2 guys who come off weak to me, felt just like a Jack fight as well.

The Raid is a completely different creature that shows ties to nothing. Not Jack, not Tony and not Merantau.

8DiagramAuntieFighter

FA2B7F62-97FE-477A-A587-A8A70D3A8B75.jpeg.1fe9a77c2a1082fbe4490c86c6954d66.jpeg

Watched it with my brother just now. Love the odd sound effects they use for the fist fights in both this and The Raid

• Like 2