Anyone have direct contact with Media Blasters?

OldPangYau

I was thinking, in September I'll be going to the Horrorfind Convention in the Hunt Valley area in Maryland, and they usually have a Media Blasters representative in the merchadise room. I figured, if it hasn't been announced what the next batch of SB films will be by then, maybe I could drag something out of whoever's working... I know it's still a good month and a half away until the event, I just thought it could finally lead us to some info... okay, so I've been enjoying their SB DVDs too much :tongue:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the next batch list but can't release it at this time.

I've suggested some extremely enticing interviews to MB for extras - which I’m hoping they'll pick up.

If they do, it will blow the roof off for these releases. (Keep your fingers crossed.)

All I can say, for now, is if you're a Venoms fan .. you will not be disappointed.

Well, at least it looks like someone knows... as for "Venoms", I've been becoming a fan through other films (I'll finally see Five Venoms when the DD DVD comes out!), includng Chinatown Kid... hmm, if Media Blasters got that one, it would be a very controversial project. Wonder if Celestial could ever get the proper cut restored and remastered for distribution, rather than the 90 minute watered down cut. But before I go into a tangent...

So, are they going for another 10? More? Less? Any info you can give us aside from the "Venoms" hint? I'm guessing not, but it's great to see that not only are they still going forward with them, but they've already picked out their next selections. Can't wait for more info at some point! I could still try to fineagle something out of the rep at Horrorfind :tongue:

I have the next batch list but can't release it at this time.

I've suggested some extremely enticing interviews to MB for extras - which I’m hoping they'll pick up.

If they do, it will blow the roof off for these releases. (Keep your fingers crossed.)

All I can say, for now, is if you're a Venoms fan .. you will not be disappointed.

teako, i sent you an email about the same thing. i'd rather work with MB for real in NYC than offer cheap bootlegs of the VenomsFilms online. Can you help me out?

The Running Man

teako170,

If you have any contact with Media Blasters can you please send this message over to them regarding subtitles?

Ask them to please start translating the untransltaed credits at the opening of the films? They transalte many things that the Celestial subs don't during the films and it'd be nice for them to do the same on the opening credits for the films.

Also, to please make note of wether the original dialect for the films was Cantonese or Mandarin and have the English subtitles be based off of that. Despite the huge improvements over the Celestial subs, two of the previous releases were Cantonese films (The Master and Martial Club) but the subtitles were based on the Mandarin tracks instead.

I'd appreciate it if you can pass that over to them. :)

I wish that MB would do complete re-translations. Their subs at the begining of challenge of the masters are pretty much the same as the IVL release & don't reflect what is being said. The description of the game of Pao at the beginning is all wrong. I haven't bothered with the other releases because of this subtitle issue. Have they gotten better since?

isn't there a risk of letting out upcoming titles too early, they may fall into the wrong hands right?

*cough**cough*panmedia*cough**cough*

The Running Man

Haz,

I'm surprised you write that. I've seen the subs on their releases as the real big treat since other companies don't even bother or in the case of Dragon Dynasty they even make the subs worse. MB's been doing retranslations since their first release. They've gotten better overall with each release and I've compared their subs with the Celestial ones and I've seen big improvements. I don't remember checking Challenge of the Masters though.

Can you be more specific on what you saw wrong?

Media Blasters was informed of the suggestions made in this thread. The response I received stated that they will keep these suggestions in mind for future releases.

They've been open to other suggestions made by fans so if they can make it happen, it's something we might see.

Media Blasters was informed of the suggestions made in this thread. The response I received stated that they will keep these suggestions in mind for future releases.

They've been open to other suggestions made by fans so if they can make it happen, it's something we might see.

Wow, very nice. It's great to see how open they are to the fans. They've come a long way from "bootlegals", such as porting the Mega Star DVD of Story of Ricky for their release ten years ago :wink: Kinda like Brentwood/BCI's transformation... let's hope MB/TS sticks around a lot longer though!!!

Another suggestion though... I noticed they've thrown their hat into the blu-ray ring with Ichi and Death Trance. Maybe they could either look at their best selling SB releases or do a poll to see which SB title could have a possible blu-ray release. BCI had such promise by being the first (possibly in the world) to release any SB films on blu-ray, with Opium and the Kung Fu Master having great reviews. I'm sure Five Element Ninjas will be the pick if it were a poll :tongue:

Haz,

I'm surprised you write that. I've seen the subs on their releases as the real big treat since other companies don't even bother or in the case of Dragon Dynasty they even make the subs worse. MB's been doing retranslations since their first release. They've gotten better overall with each release and I've compared their subs with the Celestial ones and I've seen big improvements. I don't remember checking Challenge of the Masters though.

Can you be more specific on what you saw wrong?

In Challenge, they keep talking about a "Pao" in the english subs. They put it in italics. Its just like that in the IVL DVD. If they were translating the film, I think they would have actually told people what a Pao is. The text that follows is pretty much a word for word copy of the IVL DVD with some punched up grammar. It's exactly what Image does. There is no difference.

MB:

"In a duel, gradually merging force with mercy, combined with Qi Gong, the foe is controlled"

IVL

"In a duel, gradually merging force with mercy, combined with Qi Gong, can the foe be controlled"

That barely makes any sense.

You don't need to know Chinese to know that nothing here is being re-translated, except some signage, and the odd phrase & I don't even trust their translations of that. After Challenge, I didn't bother buying another one because it's just another case of a company duping the fans. When they offer completely original translations of Shaw films, then I'll buy another one. Without that, I don't feel motivated to double-dip on their releases.

Archived