Shaolin (2011)

Milkyway

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liked it a lot, but wish there were fewer scenes with kids. Some of the wirework was a bit off.

I thought the story was good, and Andy Lau's role played to his strengths.

Liked it a lot, but wish there were fewer scenes with kids. Some of the wirework was a bit off.

Groan...porque?

So has anyone here seen the 44 minutes (!) of deleted scenes on the Well Go USA release of this film?

You know how when Pixar releases a movie on DVD, they add a bunch of new featurettes for some of the side characters? That's basically what these are for the two monks played by Xing Yu and Yu Shaoqun. They both have complete stories told in the deleted scenes. Turns out they had a much harder time accepting Andy Lau. Lau gets some time in these scenes too, including one moment where a warlord's son comes back and tries to kill him. Oh and there are several deleted action scenes! They are good too, though unfinished. This film could have been 3 hours long and still been good!

Iron_Leopard

I thought this was a pretty good movie actually. But my main problem with this movie and pretty much all of the so called kung fu movies post Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is the lack of fight scenes. Besides Fearless and Ip Man most movies like Shaolin are drama movies with martial arts in them. They really aren't pure "Kung Fu" movies.

Hong Kong action movies became so Americanized with CTHD that they forgot their original mission. To deliver nonstop exciting martial arts extravagances that no other country in the world could replicate. I'm not one to complain about good stories. I want a good story. I loved the story of Shaolin and Wu Xia. But they were so front and center of the movie that they almost forgot to pack in the action. There is only 3 fight scenes in Wu Xia and they are spread out so far apart that you forget this is suppose to be a martial arts film. Shaolin has a bunch of skirmishes but that's about it. No real "ok it's time for an epic fight scene" like in CTHD. Hell even Hero only had one real fight scene with Nameless vs Sky.

Maybe I haven't watched enough of these movies and I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just feel that sophisticated stories have replaced the need for action in martial arts films. Shaolin missed a great opportunity to have some extended fights with Wu Jing and that wicked Henchmen guy. He just comes out of nowhere and kicks him in the head Wu Jing is pretty much done. Why? Because we needed to get back to the story as quickly as possible. We don't have time for a super sweet fight scene between these two.

I mean if someone asked me to recommend them a good kung fu movie from the last 5 years I would have trouble recommending them Shaolin. There's just not enough traditional kung fu action to please. It's a good movie. Just not a good kung fu movie.

Archived