Shaolin (2011)

Milkyway

Saw it. Jet Li was great! He really made this remake. Don't know what it would have been without him.

Movie was fine. Andy was good, as he always is these days. Could have done with either someone else in Nic's role(someone older), or him not hamming it up through the whole thing. His character and the white guy were jarring in that no one else's acting was like that. Too much ham. It's like he didn't know how to play the character and Chan didn't show him the way.

Action is forgettable across the board for the most part. Jack's stuff came off the best and the cleanest, too me. Lots of floating and wires. Pretty much swing and hit choreography, that honestly fits this particular picture. No a complaint but it did nothing for me. It's like the way the action in Bodyguards and Assassins fit the movie but doesn't do anything for you. Lau and Tse were ok for as long as it lasted in their end fight.

Looks like lots was cut. Stuff from the trailer is not to be seen. No Wu Jing vs Lau fight from the trailer. The many monks training in the snow is also not there.

Like I said, movie was fine, as were the performances, save two. Jet was great. Action fit, I guess, but is already forgotten. No complaints, save for the floating based wire work. I hate that crap. Should be seen as a movie and not a kf movie.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the thread title says Jet Li stars in remake of Shaolin Temple. You saying that the thread title is wrong?

Yes it is wrong! We have been trying to get the Mods to change it. So where did you see it, let us know? I didn't know it was out yet. Who did you think Jet Li was in the movie?

SHAOLIN has opened across China, Singapore etc..it opens in HK today..

But just wondering what film Baron K saw...with Jet Li, Andy Lau, Nicholas Tse, etc?

Jackie is an extended cameo, Andy Lau & Nicholas Tse are the two main leads, with solid support from Wu Jing while Xing yu, Hung yan-yan etc also pop up

And which white guy are you talking about?

BaronK

Saw it. Jet Li was great! He really made this remake. Don't know what it would have been without him.

Movie was fine. Andy was good, as he always is these days. Could have done with either someone else in Nic's role(someone older), or him not hamming it up through the whole thing. His character and the white guy were jarring in that no one else's acting was like that. Too much ham. It's like he didn't know how to play the character and Chan didn't show him the way.

Action is forgettable across the board for the most part. Jack's stuff came off the best and the cleanest, too me. Lots of floating and wires. Pretty much swing and hit choreography, that honestly fits this particular picture. No a complaint but it did nothing for me. It's like the way the action in Bodyguards and Assassins fit the movie but doesn't do anything for you. Lau and Tse were ok for as long as it lasted in their end fight.

Looks like lots was cut. Stuff from the trailer is not to be seen. No Wu Jing vs Lau fight from the trailer. The many monks training in the snow is also not there.

Like I said, movie was fine, as were the performances, save two. Jet was great. Action fit, I guess, but is already forgotten. No complaints, save for the floating based wire work. I hate that crap. Should be seen as a movie and not a kf movie.

BaronK is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

The white guy I was referring to was an officer. The highest ranking one. The leader. He's not good. He's barely in the movie but he doesn't fit with his bad acting.

Are there any mods for this forum? No, Jet isn't in the movie. Andy is very good, Nic is not the acting equal this movie called for.

Sorry Baron K, i'm just a little confused as to why in your earlier comment you talk about jet's performance in the film....who did you think was Jet in the movie?

BaronK made a joke. Geez.

I thought he was beeing serious when he wrote his blog, that is why I think we were all confused on here.

the movie is really good so far (Im half way through watching a mainland DVD ,mandarin no subs... its pretty brutal even its cut...will get the HK DVD for sure.

#

edit* with possible spoiler

saw the whole thing now...still very entertaining film but I dont know,they couldnt leave the evil gweilo out for once...destroyed the end for me...something like during the shooting the producer came on set saying,hey we need to add some evil gweilo scene...they all did it; true legend,yip man 2,Chen Zhen etc...lets jump on the bandwagon :(

After reading the expected trouncing of SHAOLIN in the film review section of the South China Morning Post I went to see this yesterday on a huuuge screen in a Kowloon mall theatre and was suitably impressed with, hmm… the first two parts of this 140 minute epic. Just like in Yuen Woo Ping’s recent TRUE LEGEND the somewhat forced final showdown was dripping with over-the-top pathos and proved to be something of a predictable letdown (evil Brits pillaging Chinese antiquities and killing indiscriminately… Well, British gunboat diplomacy in the Middle Kingdowm was devilish and they were robbing invaluable treasures left, right & center, but to go as far as having the island gweilos shelling Shaolin Si and turning the monastery into rubble… oh well, its just a movie, innit?)

Other than that the cinematography was simply awesome and so were the acting performances of basically all of the leads. Outstanding in particular Fan Bing Bing as the warlord’s grief-stricken wife and Jackie Chan as the cranky cook who denies knowing about kung-fu… Well, you’re almost lulled into believing they would just use him for a dramatic role until he gets his one hilariously funny fight scene that really goes against the deadly serious gist of the film, but is nontheless one of the highlights here. “Stir-fry ‘em like rice noodles!“, yells one of the Shaolin bambinos... and Jackie grabs a gigantic wok and does it. Gun salute for that, big man!

By the way, Jackie’s part was waaay more than just a cameo.

And, sure, Nick Tse overacted as usual but I thought that he made the most of his manical villian role and was definitely not a mis-cast.

Corey Yuen’s action choreography was inspired for the most part, sometimes insanely brilliant, and I truly marvel how anyone can weigh in with assessments like “the action is forgettable across the board”. But then that very same somebody spotted Jet Li in this flick and I sure as hell didn’t… unless the man appeared during the approximately 45 seconds I vacated my seat to relief myself… :wink:

Oh, and to anyone who’s already determined to invest in the DVD or BD (I certainly will!): make sure to AVOID the presumably forthcoming British release of this because there are so many horse trippings here that its guaranteed to be cut for “animal cruelty”!

jackie didnt pull one shape in the movie but he does it in forbidden kingdom...::tinysmile_angry2_t:

What is a "shape"?

Is that a traditional form or style?

First, this thread is whack. I am more than happy to write another review if this was locked. Too much confusion and nonsense.

Second, I only watched without subtitles.

Third, slight spoiler under STORY

Action

Though it's no reign of assassin, ip man, or true legend, I think there's more than enough action. The fight scenes aren't long, but there are plenty of nice cool ones. Much of the actions are kinda like US movies, meaning you got horse chases, explosions, etc. Not your typical 5 minute fight scenes. WAYYY more action than Karate Kid 2010...at least 5 times....so you get a sense how much butt kicking there is.

Some of the wire effects are corny and fake looking, but overall, it's great.

Story

I don't understand Chinese and no English subs, but DAMN, this story was enjoyable. It's one of those movies that you don't need subs to enjoy. You just get it. It was done well. Maybe it's a crappy movie with subs, but by the way it looks, it's a very good movie.

However, it is a stereotypical film where guy loses it all, and he finds himself. Think True Legend, Reign of Assassins, Fearless, etc. That's why it was so easy to understand.

Other

It's a beautiful film. Very well done.

Conclusion

I was not disapointed at all. I was scared this might be another messed up film like Donnie Yen's "Chen Zhen"...or whatever it's called. This movie not only looks like a fairly good kick butt "martial arts" film, but a great story to go along with it. For those of you who think the action is not enough, I think you'll find that the story fills the gaps. I would not be surprised if this film was paraded all over the golden globes and oscars or whatever because the story is there.

I look forward to the DVD and english subs.

ShaolinposterofJC.jpg

ShaolinJC.jpg

ShaolinJC7.jpg

ShaolinJC3.jpg

ShaolinJC2.jpg

ShaolinJC5.jpg

ShaolinJC6.jpg

ShaolinJC8.jpg

ShaolinJC4.jpg

You have some impressive photos of Jackie. I saw the flim last Friday i thought cool enough that when it comes out on DVD im buying a copy.

Ah, I wish I was in my hometown because it had played on cinemas in my hometown.

I have to wait the DVD, then. Based on Shen_pai, Andy, and Sheng's posts, it seemed the movie is good.

Ah, I wish I was in my hometown because it had played on cinemas in my hometown.

I have to wait the DVD, then. Based on Shen_pai, Andy, and Sheng's posts, it seemed the movie is good.

It was amazing indeed Jackie was the best part in the flim.

My Updated Review

Okay guys, I have seen it with subtitles and I think I can give a complete review. Unfortunately, it's a little negative.

Is it a good movie? Yes! Would I recommend it? Definitely! Is there a lot of fighting/action? More than enough! If you're one of those that just want to see action, no worries! There is enough action. Not too many long fighting scenes, but it's not like Chen Zhen where fighting seems like it's nonexisting. Enough figing to get your martial arts fix.

Do I love the movie? Nope! I fell in love with True Legend, Ip Man, Tony Jaa films, and Reign of Assassins...but I didn't here. The first part of the film was awesome, but it kinda went down hill after that. They were doing a good job of personalizing Andy Lau, but I think they lost it halfway. There was a part of the film where he disapeared and I forgot about him. The movie was all over the place. The last fight scene was just illogical. The fighting was awesome, but to fight was illogical. It started becoming corny to me.

Where I thought they really dropped the ball was that this was a good opportunity to teach about Buddhism and Shaolin...but they didn't. You just see them fight, train, and help others, but you just didn't learn anything about why. They could have used christian priests or any other religious groups, and threw in fighting. Shaolin shouldn't have been the title of this film.

The best movie I can compare this film to is Fearless. Fearless was better because it was very personal and there was a lot of charm in the film...a better story..or better told. Shaolin had better fighting. Fearless is better overall, but Shaolin is better halfway...then it got corny.

thelastweaponmaster

Does anyone know when Shaolin (the 2011 version) comes out on dvd and what extras will be included? Thanks.

They were doing a good job of personalizing Andy Lau, but I think they lost it halfway. There was a part of the film where he disapeared and I forgot about him.

Sounds promising now!

I was on the fence about this movie before but if it's not completely Lau-centric I'm going to give it a watch.

Archived