Shaolin (2011)

Milkyway

Fan Bing Bing is in this! I like her.

As sad as it is that Jet won't be in this movie, I'm still holding out for it. If they actually make a down-to-earth kung fu film, I'll be more than satisfied. That Jackie will finally get a role that's both respectful and suits his age is also not a bad thing.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and with a Shaolin setting, and Cory Yuen doing the choreography with Jackie, Wu Jing, and real monks....this is awsome

thanks for the photos

found another article at WU-JING.ORG with some more information about the roles.. also confirms that Jackie Chan's role is going to be just a cameo

http://wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/721-Benny-Chan-Narrates-A-New-Story-of-Shaolin.html#extended

but some of the most interesting information in this article has nothing to do with the Shaolin film.. he talks about "Chinese Zodiac" ("Armour of God 3")

Jackie Chan indicates that while he has known the abbot Shi Yong Xin for more than 10 years, and he had expressed interests in working him Jackie Chan says that he is not likely to shave his head as he's doing another film, Chinese Zodiac, which is about treasure hunting, that begins production in January 2010.

Originally, he was wavering, turned it down after accepting due to Chinese Zodiac, that has been in works for 5, 6 years. But Albert Yeung told him that the film needed him, that's why he took up this project. However, it's by and large a cameo.

He says that he'd be directing Chinese Zodiac, for the script is really excellent, and the cast will be new blood predominantly, with his friends like Louis Koo making guest appearances. It will be shot on location in Europe, such as France.

cool,really?Wen did he say that?

I forget when, but it was during an interview. I'll try to track it down.

thanks for the photos

found another article at WU-JING.ORG with some more information about the roles.. also confirms that Jackie Chan's role is going to be just a cameo

http://wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/721-Benny-Chan-Narrates-A-New-Story-of-Shaolin.html#extended

but some of the most interesting information in this article has nothing to do with the Shaolin film.. he talks about "Chinese Zodiac" ("Armour of God 3")

Jackie Chan indicates that while he has known the abbot Shi Yong Xin for more than 10 years, and he had expressed interests in working him Jackie Chan says that he is not likely to shave his head as he's doing another film, Chinese Zodiac, which is about treasure hunting, that begins production in January 2010.

Originally, he was wavering, turned it down after accepting due to Chinese Zodiac, that has been in works for 5, 6 years. But Albert Yeung told him that the film needed him, that's why he took up this project. However, it's by and large a cameo.

He says that he'd be directing Chinese Zodiac, for the script is really excellent, and the cast will be new blood predominantly, with his friends like Louis Koo making guest appearances. It will be shot on location in Europe, such as France.

this confuses me because if he was just making a cameo why is he in those pics?

DeathFuMaster
this confuses me because if he was just making a cameo why is he in those pics?

Because he is Jackie Chan I guess, mabey to draw publicity to the movie?

Chan's not making a cameo anymore. He is playing one of the lead roles. He will play a chef at the Shaolin Temple who is a martial arts master but tends not to use it much until he trains Nicholas Tse and Andy Lau's characters.

Nicholas was handpicked by Abbot Shi Yong Xin for the role of the spoiled brat who gets a new lease on life once he hides in the temple and becomes an expert in Chin-Na (Joint Locks). Andy Lau starts out as a villainous warlord's son, but he will eventually turn good and train with Tse for the forces of good. Fan Bingbing will play Lau's wife and according to Lau, Wu Jing is playing the main villain. Xing Yu will also co-star and is excited because he was actually a real-life Shaolin monk as a kid.

Corey Yuen is going to choreograph the film's action sequences and training the actors in certain skills. Tse, who has been quite the non-formal superkicker, will be working on Chin-Na and Yu Shao Qiang will be training in kicking for the film.

Check out the full story at =all]wu-jing.org

I think Nic is going to do more fist work this time around and Yu Shao Qiang will be the kicking expert of the film. But Nic has had the right training and fared well in the kicking department like in Dragon Tiger Gate and Wing Chun. I heard he loved the training in Wing Chun that he continues to study it.

Chan's not making a cameo anymore. He is playing one of the lead roles. He will play a chef at the Shaolin Temple who is a martial arts master but tends not to use it much until he trains Nicholas Tse and Andy Lau's characters.

Nicholas was handpicked by Abbot Shi Yong Xin for the role of the spoiled brat who gets a new lease on life once he hides in the temple and becomes an expert in Chin-Na (Joint Locks). Andy Lau starts out as a villainous warlord's son, but he will eventually turn good and train with Tse for the forces of good. Fan Bingbing will play Lau's wife and according to Lau, Wu Jing is playing the main villain. Xing Yu will also co-star and is excited because he was actually a real-life Shaolin monk as a kid.

Corey Yuen is going to choreograph the film's action sequences and training the actors in certain skills. Tse, who has been quite the non-formal superkicker, will be working on Chin-Na and Yu Shao Qiang will be training in kicking for the film.

Check out the full story at =all]wu-jing.org

Yess!! Shaolin movie, secret kung fu master chef, warlords son, spoiled kid, wushu expert as villian......

my friends....a kung fu classic!! This means training sequences!!!!!!!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

Hopefully Andy Lau gets to do some good fighting. House of Flying Daggers is the best fighting performance I've seen from him in recent years. I think a lot of people doubt Andy Lau's screen fighting skills, but that just means you obviously haven't seen Lucky Stars Go Places! Also does anyone remember that vid where he almost beats up some a-hole at one of his recent concerts? Andy Lau is a badass.

Hopefully Andy Lau gets to do some good fighting. House of Flying Daggers is the best fighting performance I've seen from him in recent years. I think a lot of people doubt Andy Lau's screen fighting skills, but that just means you obviously haven't seen Lucky Stars Go Places! Also does anyone remember that vid where he almost beats up some a-hole at one of his recent concerts? Andy Lau is a badass.

Remember it? I bragged about it to some co-workers and they actually praised Andy for what he did and here's the good news about Lau in terms of Shaolin. He has been training for three months in Shaolin Kung Fu and accepted the role because he wanted to work with Benny Chan again, who directed Andy in one of his breakthrough films, A MOMENT OF ROMANCE. Plus, he liked the script as well.

Oh and Andy was doubled for the acrobatic flips in Lucky Stars Go Places, but did a bunch of his own kicking. The double is a familiar face, Chin Kar-Lok, who also doubled Andy in Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.

Morgoth Bauglir
andy lau has been doing decent fighting from his tv work with tvb he is more than capable of pulling of shapes in this movie.

Definitely. His screen fighting has always been solid. Rdenn do you think shapes are getting more popular again? MAybe one day we can get back to having more than 2 or 3 shapes movies a year from HK.

Al that's good to hear about his training. He has to be getting on in age, he's been around for awhile. It'll be good to see him give one last really good fighting performance. Oh, and he also did his own punching in Lucky Stars:wink:

. Rdenn do you think shapes are getting more popular again?:

i do think they are but looks like china is behind it at the moment, hk doesnt seem consistent in that department, ,still waiting for this mainland movie taishan to drop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMn6zNsMZE it may look like not much budget but its shapes so production value is not important to me , and china tv is high on shapes at the mo, better than hk now need to check out this guy wue yue he is the main man for china at the moment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRCL5uGXks

Lets see what happens, so much potential hopefully it will be fulfilled..

Would be good to see a general return of quality old skool style Kung Fu movies with fight scenes containing more than 5-6 moments in a take,restrained wirework etc.

There must be more than a few young talented martial artists that could work with experienced directors & action choreographers, just need to add old skool marital artist/ actors to play master/teacher/roles.

Imagine Yang Sze (Bolo) playing the master who teaches the not looking style or HJL teaching kicking, the possibilities are endless

Update:

SHAOLIN

The film is currently into production. Jackie Chan will be joining the shoot after the Lunar New Year. Also appearing in the film are original Shaolin Temple trilogy actor Yu Hai and "Clubfoot" himself, Xiong Xin-Xin, who gets to fight Andy Lau in the film.

Wu Jing spent a week at the Shaolin Temple to train for his role in the film and got praise for his hard work and professionalism.

Full article: Wu-Jing.org

It looks like a tentative release date for SHAOLIN could be late 2010/Chinese New Year 2011.

Andy Lau has trained for two months for the role, having four trainers in the forms of Corey Yuen, Richard Hung (Yuen Tak), Reverend Shi Yong-Zhi of the Shaolin Temple and Yong-Zhi's former student and current Hong Kong action film star Xing Yu (aka Yan Neng).

Pic of Andy with Xing Yu and Shi Yong Zhi for training

Shaolin_25_Training_sn.jpg

Official Plot of the film, according to Wu-Jing.org.

China is plunged into strife as feuding warlords try to expand their power by warring over neighboring lands. Fuelled by his success on the battlefield, "young" and arrogant warlord Hou Jie (Andy Lau) sneers at Shaolin masters when he beats Jing Neng (Wu Jing) in a duel. But the pride comes before a fall.

Soon, Hou Jie is betrayed by Cao Man (Nicholas Tse), who is the 2nd-in-command and his buddy, and walks right into a trap and gets waylaid by rival warlord Song Hu (Shi Xiong Hong). To make matter worse, his wife (Fan Bing Bing) deserts him, while his child is killed. The crestfallen and heartbroken Hou Jie seeks refuge at Shaolin.

Hou Jie is on the verge of giving up his life when he becomes acquainted with the cheery Shaolin cook (Jackie Chan) who helps him see through life. He also resolves his conflicts with fellow monks Jing Neng, Jing Hai (Yu Shao Qun) and Jing Kong (Xing Yu). After becoming enlightened, he takes the tonsure.

As the civil unrest spreads and the people suffer, Hou Jie and the Shaolin masters are forced to take a fiery stand against the treacherous warlord Cao Man and his collaborator Suo Xiang Tu (Xiong Xin Xin). Led by Hou Jie, they launch a daring operation.

If Yu Hai busts out some mantis in this I'm going to lose my shit. Can't wait to see some footage!

Sad thing is they spend all this money time and effort then they go and put the worst ,cheap, shit sound effects you can find, untill they get that right all the new films will be below par the sound fx are amost the most important part of kung fu moives.

Nic Tse seems like a bit of an odd choice for a villain, but i'm still exited for this movie. It's good to see Jackie finally playing roles that suit his age. I hope that Xing Yu isn't underused again in this movie. I've always liked Andy Lau as a screen fighter.

Archived