Kung Fu Films For Women?

falkor

My wife didn't get into martial arts films until we met. She primarily likes Jackie Chan and I think her two favorite martial arts films are The Forbidden Kingdom and Chocolate. She loves the story of the film as well as Jeeja's martial arts skills.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cesare, thanks for posting the picture--he does have nice legs!

... it's easier to sell a movie like say Rashomon when you can explain how influential the film has been

Maybe I need a new strategy for KF, I would of thought a movie with a strong female presence would work better like Come Drink with Me.

Tosh:

Rashomon...influential, thought-provoking, a great film...yes. But there's a bunch of women over on the Toshiro Mifune board on IMDB who'll agree that he's the real lure of the film:

toshiror2.jpg

Women love "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" provided they are not put off by subtitles. They love anything with romance. "The Bride With White Hair", "Green Snake", "Ashes of Time" just to name a few I know of that held the attention of females in the room while they were being screened. "The Heroic Trio" was also favorable. Reaction to a screening of "Crippled Avengers" was "God this film is stupid." shortly before the girl stormed out of the apartment. They definately will have a hard time enjoying anything from Shaw Brothers. Out of old school some women in the room seemed to like "No one can touch her" up intil the ending where [ SPOILER ] the romantic lead in the movie turned out to be the villian as well as a kid eating wolfman. They didn't seem to enjoy that twist. Then again we were watching the butchered Ocean Shores print of the movie.

I've been watching kung fu since I was a little girl, and I still love it (I'm 27 now). My favorites as a kid had Sammo Hung or Gordon Liu. Later I got into Jet Li and Jackie Chan, then found Toshiro Mifune. Some of my favorite movies are The Legend 2, Return of the Master Killer, Zatoichi meets Yojimbo, Shaolin Soccer. I think if you start ladies out on the more humorous ones, they'll eventually appreciate the fighting.

I'm going to try to search for this some more, but I want to find an old kung fu or ninja movie I watched when I was little that had all women vs. women. It looked like it was made in the 70's I think. If anyone can think of movies that sound similar, could you post them, please? I want to see it again :).

Guest WuxiaFan
I must live in an alternate universe, because I'm a woman who loves these films but has a hard time getting my male friends to watch them with me!

Anyhow, to answer the original questions, I personally like both independents and Shaw Brothers. I like any films with either a good story, especially if it has an element of mystery or fantastical aspect, supercool moves or an actor I really like (Jimmy Wang Yu, Tan Tao Liang, David Chiang, Lau Kar Wing and my alltime favorite CHANG YI)--any of these elements make for a film I'll really enjoy. Some of my favorite films that I can watch over and over again are Eagle's Claws (one of my favorites), Master of the Flying Guillotine, One Armed Boxer, 7 Commandments of Kung Fu, Beach of the War Gods (this is probably one of the films I've seen the most) and Knockabout (which I would rank as one of the greatest films ever made). I tend to like watching films featuring these actors (rather than ones with female leads) but I've really come to like movies with Polly Kuan too.

If you're trying to lure your lady friends into watching these films with you, I'd suggest that you pick some films that have a good story and also a compelling lead actor--someone who's charismatic and easy to sympathize with and like, because she likely won't be familiar with any of the actors and it'll make it easier for her to get into it if the main guy is someone compelling--nothing can kill interest in a movie like not being able to remember who's who. I've always found Jimmy Wang Yu interesting, as well as Tan Tao Liang--but Chen Kuan Tai has a lot of charisma as certainly does Bruce Lee. You probably couldn't go wrong with any David Chiang film where he plays a hero who is haunted by tragedy (like the New One Armed Swordsman, or the one where he has to sell his horse (Have Swords Will Travel or the Wandering Swordsmans, I forget which)). Also any Jackie Chan movie I think would be a hit also. And also a film with a decent quality picture wouldn't hurt. What you really want to do is get them to like a few films and then gradually introduce other similar films until they're hooked.

Here are some films that have gone over well with my non-kung-fu-loving friends and family:

Enter the Dragon -- A sure-fire hit, everyone has liked this. Bruce Lee is very charismatic, the picture quality is excellent, it's set in modern times and has the bonus of being in English. It's good movie AND a good martial arts film.

Eagle's Claws -- Another hit, because of the interesting characters, intrigue and excellent story line.

Knockabout -- It's just a fun film with a lot of interesting action.

Mad Monkey Kung Fu -- Tragic story, awesome moves.

Master of the Flying Guillotine -- Not everyone I tried to get to watch this loved it, but my mother actually watched it and stayed awake for the whole thing, which tells me it must be one of the greatest movies ever made.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm also adding Five Shaolin Masters to this list. It's a great movie, maybe not the most interesting for a non-kung fu fan, but I think many ladies would enjoy that cast!

moongirl - I wish my wife would visit your universe! You sound like a dream! :smile: I love most of the movies you just listed above.

I finally found the movie I was looking for- Challenge of the Lady Ninja. Cheesy, but awesome.

placidpixie - LOL! Do you have a link so I can check it out? I'm from WI, so I love cheese!:xd:

moongirl - I wish my wife would visit your universe! You sound like a dream! :smile: I love most of the movies you just listed above.

:smile2:Thanks, WuxiaFan, you sound pretty cool too!

i love martial arts films too and i've been watching them since i was a little kid. the hubby loves them too so we always watch together although i tend to re-watch more than he does. we don't own a lot of movies but about 99% of the ones we have are chinese.

i'll watch pretty much anything with sammo, yuen biao, donnie yen, stephen chow, jet li, & jackie except jet and jackie's latests. i've watched some shaws too. it doesn't really matter whether they are modern, ancient (or wuxia).

my ideal move night is a good action/martial arts movie. some of my favorites are eastern condors (i love yuen biao! :D ), iron monkey, dragons forever, bride with white hair, etc. and no, i don't always require a love story implemented (ie: eastern condors). i definitely love the movies from the 80's and 90's more!

Guest WuxiaFan
i love martial arts films too and i've been watching them since i was a little kid. the hubby loves them too so we always watch together although i tend to re-watch more than he does. we don't own a lot of movies but about 99% of the ones we have are chinese.

i'll watch pretty much anything with sammo, yuen biao, donnie yen, stephen chow, jet li, & jackie except jet and jackie's latests. i've watched some shaws too. it doesn't really matter whether they are modern, ancient (or wuxia).

my ideal move night is a good action/martial arts movie. some of my favorites are eastern condors (i love yuen biao! :D ), iron monkey, dragons forever, bride with white hair, etc. and no, i don't always require a love story implemented (ie: eastern condors). i definitely love the movies from the 80's and 90's more!

Another dream girl.:angel:

What Kung Fu films do women like? Is there any female fans among us; if so, please share your all time favourites?

Do women generally prefer Shaw Brothers over independents?

Do women generally prefer movies with female martial arts actresses, or those with more muscular men like Chang Cheh's Shaolin Temple?

To all geezers and blokes: tell us about any of your positive experiences watching Kung with the opposite sex?

Ultimately, I would like us all to contribute to this topic and come up with a list of suitable cult titles for those emotional and psychotic species who like to nag all day long.

I'm a 28 year old woman, and I love kung fu films in general, but there's no doubt that I prefer Shaw Brothers films over independents. I don't prefer female martial artists over men, but I can't deny that I get a little pumped when I see another girl kicking ass. All women like Michelle Yeoh, right? I haven't seen every Shaw Brothers film yet, but so far some of my favorites are Crippled Avengers, Delightful Forest, Come Drink With Me, Magnificent Ruffians, Five Element Ninjas, Legend of the Bat, The Chinatown Kid, etc. I have to admit to not being as big of a fan of Fu Sheng as a lot of women are (at least that's the vibe I've gotten), but I appreciate his movies.

I'm not sure if that helps, but there it is!:smile:

I must live in an alternate universe, because I'm a woman who loves these films but has a hard time getting my male friends to watch them with me!

I am spiritually high-fiving you right now, as another woman.

• Administrator

I love that we're gaining some kung fu sisters on the forum here. Nice!

I just wish my lady was into kung fu more. She loves to play fight, learned the nunchaku (that blows her little students' minds when she surprises them each year with her "special" Teacher skills :xd:), but it's a real struggle to get her to watch any straight up kung fu films. BTW- Today's our wedding anniversary. We've been married 9 years. Maybe we could celebrate by watching CRIPPLED AVENGERS?! Yeah... probably not. :angel: LOL

TibetanWhiteCrane

Congrats Bob...!

Maybe if you watched half of Crippled Avengers and half of Sleepless In Seattle, then everyone.... sort wins!

Guest WuxiaFan
I am spiritually high-fiving you right now, as another woman.

Another dream girl! :angel:

I just wish my lady was into kung fu more. She loves to play fight, learned the nunchaku (that blows her little students' minds when she surprises them each year with her "special" Teacher skills :xd:), but it's a real struggle to get her to watch any straight up kung fu films. BTW- Today's our wedding anniversary. We've been married 9 years. Maybe we could celebrate by watching CRIPPLED AVENGERS?! Yeah... probably not. :angel: LOL

Bob - Congratulations!! Your lady is still light years ahead of mine, though! :wink:

• Administrator
Congrats Bob...!

Maybe if you watched half of Crippled Avengers and half of Sleepless In Seattle, then everyone.... sort wins!

Thanks man!

Oh! :ooh: It's not worth that! I can deal with some rom/coms, but I thought that was dreadful, shallow drek!

Bob - Congratulations!! Your lady is still light years ahead of mine, though! :wink:

Thanks bro! By light years ahead, do you mean age-wise? If she reads this, you're in trouble mister! LOL Just kidding, I get ya. Yeah, I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She's very cool.

WOW Congrats Bob!!! That's so awesome to hear about your anniversary today!!

My wife will watch Kung Fu movies with me from time to time. The last full movie she watched with me was CRIPPLED AVENGERS!!! So I can't complain too much. She didn't even laugh at it and thought the fight scenes were fun and enjoyed the Venoms acrobatic action!!! I said to myself.......I did make the right choice.

Then I said SHE'S ONE LUCKY GIRL TO HAVE ME FOR SURE!!!! :tongue:

Wolcott....nice to see you share my love of CRIPPLED AVENGERS and MAGNIFICENT RUFFIANS!! Ruffians never is mentioned along with other top Venoms films...but I absolutely loved every minute of it!!!

She loves to play fight, learned the nunchaku (that blows her little students' minds when she surprises them each year with her "special" Teacher skills :xd:)

That's awesome Bob!

gorhama, I agree, It's a great Venoms film! Getting to see Wang Li as a good guy is pretty cool, too.

spearman lo tat

congratulations to you and yours, and i wish you nine nines of years of wedded bliss.

here's a suggesion: Executioners from Shaolin. maybe your wife will find the scene of the wedding night very enjoyable!

peace!

• Administrator
congratulations to you and yours, and i wish you nine nines of years of wedded bliss.

here's a suggesion: Executioners from Shaolin. maybe your wife will find the scene of the wedding night very enjoyable!

peace!

Thanks a lot!:bigsmile:

Actually, she did enjoy that movie with me... about 10 or 11 years ago. While we were still dating. She thought that scene was great. She also liked the WAR OF THE ROSES type stuff in HEROES OF THE EAST a whole lot.

Archived