Prometheus

Milkyway

'Alien' prequel takes off

Ridley Scott attached to return as director

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fightingfist
'Alien' prequel takes off

Ridley Scott attached to return as director

Twentieth Century Fox is resuscitating its "Alien" franchise. The studio has hired Jon Spaihts to write a prequel that has Ridley Scott attached to return as director.

Spaihts got the job after pitching the studio and Scott Free, which will produce the film.

The film is set up to be a prequel to the groundbreaking 1979 film that Scott directed. It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

The deal gives Fox another chance to keep the "Alien" franchise alive. There were three sequels to Scott's original, but it is the first time the director has set his mind on directing one.

Spaihts has become a go-to-guy for space thrillers. After Keanu Reeves became attached to his Warner Bros. sci-fi script "Shadow 19," Reeves hired Spaihts to write the space journey epic "Passengers," which is berthed at Morgan Creek. That script got Spaihts the meeting with Fox and Scott Free, and he won the job with an "Alien" reboot take that the studio and Scott loved.

Fox has separately hired him to rewrite "The Darkest Hour," which Timur Bekmambetov to produce with Tom Jacobson. Spaihts is writing "Children of Mars" for Disney and Scott Rudin, and he will follow by rewriting "St. George and the Dragon" for Sony and Red Wagon.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118006722.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

The first film was brilliant hope this one is even better. if its confirmed that is

froffeecoffee

I hope this defies the odds and is actually good. The pre-production leading up to Ridley Scott directing has been pretty convoluted. Scott was set to produce and handpicked a commercial director named Carl Erik Rinsch to make his directoral debut with the prequel. Turned out Fox wouldn't greenlight unless Scott directed. So here we are now. All the info about this Jon Spaihts fella could be just another hurtle in making this film a reality.

They should just make another Alien story. Not a sequel, not a prequel, and not a remake/re-boot/re-imagining. I love the Alien movies, but studio interference just won't allow a good one to emerge. 3 and Resurrection despite their faults were good. But this seems more like a ploy for Fox to make more money instead of having a good director and writer come up with a story that could actually be great like Alien and Aliens.

My fingers are crossed.:yociexp34:

I heard they planned to do this years ago with Sigourney Weaver attached and Ridley Scott at the helm, but then AvP got greenlighted and it destroyed everything they had planned, continuity problems and such.

froffeecoffee
I heard they planned to do this years ago with Sigourney Weaver attached and Ridley Scott at the helm, but then AvP got greenlighted and it destroyed everything they had planned, continuity problems and such.

Yeah, the attempts to get this done included Sigourney Weaver. This is what I mean by convoluted. There is more of a effort to do an Alien movie than there is an effort to make a great story.

kungfusamurai

How can they make a prequel with Sigourney Weaver if Alien was the first time she encountered the creature?!! Plus, she's older now.

As long as he doesn't turn it into a teen cast horror sci-fi flick, I think it might be interesting. Maybe he can save the Alien franchise after the silly Alien Vs Predator sequel (if that is even considered part of the Alien movie canon).

Scott's movie direction has been hit and miss during the last decade, so it's hard to say where this one will go. We'll most likely be seeing more CGI instead of SFX make-up, which may or may not suck.

KFS

froffeecoffee
How can they make a prequel with Sigourney Weaver if Alien was the first time she encountered the creature?!! Plus, she's older now.

For the past few years this Alien film was supposed to be a sequel. Then it was going to be a sequel about Ripley and without the Alien. Now they've finally settled on making it a prequel.

kungfusamurai
For the past few years this Alien film was supposed to be a sequel. Then it was going to be a sequel about Ripley and without the Alien. Now they've finally settled on making it a prequel.

Ahh..thanks for clearing that up!

KFS

I hope this defies the odds and is actually good. The pre-production leading up to Ridley Scott directing has been pretty convoluted. Scott was set to produce and handpicked a commercial director named Carl Erik Rinsch to make his directoral debut with the prequel. Turned out Fox wouldn't greenlight unless Scott directed. So here we are now. All the info about this Jon Spaihts fella could be just another hurtle in making this film a reality.

They should just make another Alien story. Not a sequel, not a prequel, and not a remake/re-boot/re-imagining. I love the Alien movies, but studio interference just won't allow a good one to emerge. 3 and Resurrection despite their faults were good. But this seems more like a ploy for Fox to make more money instead of having a good director and writer come up with a story that could actually be great like Alien and Aliens.

My fingers are crossed.:yociexp34:

I liked all four Alien movies although the first 2 stand head and shoulders above the later sequels. So I'd definitely agree they should make another alien story in the same vein as the originals. Also it would be great to show the younger generation who have only seen the alien versus predator movies what a truly scary prospect the alien really is, not like in the AVP films.

I wonder how long it will be before there's an actual trailer. I bet Ridley's got a couple other projects to get off the ground first.

looks incredible - wondering how many clues we'll see that tie to Alien. Giger doing some art and props for the film is great.

Cautiously optimistic about this one. It looks really good, but I've been burned by Ridley Scott movies a few times. Great cast for this film, too.

Since they play a significant role in the film, there's going to be plenty of screen-time for them. Might just be the trailers not giving away too much I guess.

When's this coming out? I'm enthralled by the viral videos coming out for this, the one with Fassbender is so eerily awesome, I can't wait!

Archived