Shaw Brothers is BACK!

lillippa328

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, it's something! If we can get the old school fanfare (music at least) to comeback, I'll be happy! Although it was cool to see the old school logo in theaters when Kill Bill Vol 1 came out... one of my favorite moments in the theater!

You would think they would focus on martial arts films more so then anything else since that's what they were known for. Maybe throw in a little asian horror to spice it up too since that is a popular market these days....isn't it?

Should this forum be retitled "Shaw Brothers 195?-1985" or whatever so these new films go into a different forum?

You would think they would focus on martial arts films more so then anything else since that's what they were known for. Maybe throw in a little asian horror to spice it up too since that is a popular market these days....isn't it?

You would think, and we would hope, but it all depends on what the market demands... the way I see it, they're probably (hopefully) testing the waters... Producing future martial art films in the caliber of Ip Man, SPL, Flashpoint is probably more in line with the current (profitable) trend rather than the ancient swordplay types or kungfu (which is what Shaw Brothers Studio was more famous for).

What kind of contract do they have with Celestial pictures? Maybe the sale of the DVD's has turned enough profit to restart the studio.

Also, I wouldn't be particularly excited about any new martial arts films especially if they are the quality of Drunken Monkey.

i loved Drunken Monkey...it felt like an old school film
It was good to see LKL, CKC, and GL on screen again but LKL's persistent brand of comedy killed it for me.

its interesting.. first Golden Harvest has a semi-comeback and now Shaw Brothers are restarting film production.. i will be waiting to see what comes.. I am looking forward to "TURNING POINT" with Anthony Wong & Herman Yau directing.

Here is the trailer for "Turning Point" if anyone wants to see.. I haven't seen the TVB series its based on but looks good.. And nice to see the SB logo at the beginning. Yuen Biao is also in this film in a supporting role, you see him in the trailer. Nice to see two of my favorite actors together..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Mti_RNnF0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftwitchfilm%2Enet%2Fsite%2Fview%2Fthe%2Dshaw%2Dbrothers%2Dteam%2Dwith%2Dherman%2Dyau%2Dfor%2Dturning%2Dgate&feature=player_embedded

Blood Sword

Unfortunately those films will likely to be drama,comedy,crime(can live with that) or at very best wire-fu...I personally believe though one day golden age of traditional kung-fu films returns when ability of actor is more important than skill of people in edit studio.

Unfortunately those films will likely to be drama,comedy,crime(can live with that) or at very best wire-fu...I personally believe though one day golden age of traditional kung-fu films returns when ability of actor is more important than skill of people in edit studio.

yes, that is very true.. there are not many actors around, especially young erones, who actually have martial arts ability, that can show real skill on film without any CGI

not only that, but also, the producers/directors of these films have to also have a simple approach with their ideas, without relying so much on computer technology to make the film look better

lillippa328

im down for a Tony Jaa film or Donnie Yen film with LKL choreography haha

but seriously, they could find som MA talent if they want

im down for a Tony Jaa film or Donnie Yen film with LKL choreography haha

but seriously, they could find som MA talent if they want

Yeah there are loads of talented guys out there, its really up to the guys behind the camera. Hopefully Shaws go back to pumping out martial arts movies and follow in the footsteps of IP Man but its highly unlikely.

well, they know that alot of the old Shaw Brothers films have become cult classics and still have a fanbase to this day right? so, perhaps at some point they might consider a project that is a throwback to the old martial arts films..

Archived