Release dates for these R2 Dragon Dynasty Shaws???

ewers

This is my first thread so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this before. But the other day I was searching both Amazon UK and Play.com for the best prices for two of the R1 Dragon Dynasty Shaw Bros titles (My Young Auntie, and Come Drink With Me) to import, when i came across pages for the region 2 versions of both of them. As I already own the first two DD Shaws titles release in the UK by Momentum Pictures (36 Chambers of Shaolin, King Boxer), I was wondering if it was worth buying the R1 imports or waiting for the R2 versions? And because there are no actual release dates stated, I just wanted to know if anyone has any idea of when or if they'll be released in the UK?

Links to the pages,

Come Drink With Me:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9151737/Shaw-Bros-Come-Drink-With-Me/Product.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Come-Drink-With-Me-DVD/dp/B001U74D4Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248784181&sr=1-2

My Young Auntie:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9151738/Shaw-Bros-My-Young-Auntie/Product.html#

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Young-Auntie-DVD/dp/B001U8WPN6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248784282&sr=1-2

UPDATE:

I've also just found an Amazon UK page for the upcoming DD Five Deadly Venoms DVD in R2, and this actually has a release date (18 Aug 2009). Although I'm a bit sceptical, as would DD ever do a simultaneous R1 and R2 release? Seems kinda strange considering they've already slowed down on the amount of R1 Shaws they release anyway.

Link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Deadly-Venoms-DVD/dp/B00284G2BC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1248784230&sr=1-2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

They've been pulled from schedule.

Maybe they'll be rescheduled... maybe not?

I expect the R2 releases would be the same as the R1 so there's little reason to wait.

Thanks for the reply man, do you know the reason why they were pulled? And what happened to the rest of the 30 Shaw Brothers titles Momentum Pictures bought the UK rights for (in 2004 I think) ?

Killer Meteor
Thanks for the reply man, do you know the reason why they were pulled? And what happened to the rest of the 30 Shaw Brothers titles Momentum Pictures bought the UK rights for (in 2004 I think) ?

Momentum stopped thier Shaw line due to poor sales. But did they really think people would play £20 for non-anamorphic dvds with subs that can't be read on a 16:9 zoom and no optional dubs?

Momentum stopped thier Shaw line due to poor sales. But did they really think people would play £20 for non-anamorphic dvds with subs that can't be read on a 16:9 zoom and no optional dubs?

Yeah i heard that their Shaw dvds weren't too good, thats why i don't actually own any of them. I was more intrested in their Dragon Dynasty releases, but since there have only been two so far and no official word on any others, like Markgway said i might aswell just get the R1 imports.

Guest Markgway

Since Momentum don't have any work to do on the DVDs they're getting from Dragon Dynasty I can only assume poor sales AGAIN is the issue.

King Boxer and 36th Chamber did get proper wide releases... but maybe consumer interest was disappointing? Initially HMV sold them in-store for £9.99 and on-line you could get them for £7.99. That's pretty reasonable. Now you can get them at Play for under a fiver. Getting rid of unwanted stock?

I'm just speculating of course...

Since Momentum don't have any work to do on the DVDs they're getting from Dragon Dynasty I can only assume poor sales AGAIN is the issue.

King Boxer and 36th Chamber did get proper wide releases... but maybe consumer interest was disappointing? Initially HMV sold them in-store for £9.99 and on-line you could get them for £7.99. That's pretty reasonable. Now you can get them at Play for under a fiver. Getting rid of unwanted stock?

I'm just speculating of course...

Yeah i actually did get both of them for £4.99 from Amazon a few weeks after they were released, so they probably are just getting rid of unwanted stock. That was why i was considering waiting for the R2 releases cuz i thought i'd get them for cheaper, but now i seriously doubt they'll ever come out at all.

I know a lot of people in the US complain about certain faults with their releases like with the DD Fist of Legend or the DD My Young Auntie, and so they should. But the amount and quality of Kung Fu dvd releases here in the UK at the moment is completely pathetic in comparison. At least for Japanese/Exploitation films there's companies like Optimum and Eureka, who have a steady stream of high quality releases.

Archived