Recommendations For Swordplay And Wuxia Films?

Shaolin_Fox

I don't recall if this was asked before. I would like to know everyone's top five swordplay films or what individuals consider the best of the best.

ChillyChong
On 11/12/2009 at 9:14 PM, GoldenPigsy said:

Also, The Mighty One, Joseph Kuo's contribution to the Shaw library, is great fun.

It surely is. Ling Yun and Ivy Ling Po shine in this. And cool villain who is very hard to kill

• Like 2

No fans of Sheng Yu Hsu's 1980 Taiwanese swordplay film, Sword of Justice. I always enjoyed the atmosphere especially the duel on the bridge in the rain with the umbrellas. Reminds me of Japanese chambara films. Anyway, this is another film that deserves the remastered treatment.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 7/10/2023 at 4:29 AM, Yihetuan said:

No fans of Sheng Yu Hsu's 1980 Taiwanese swordplay film, Sword of Justice. I always enjoyed the atmosphere especially the duel on the bridge in the rain with the umbrellas. Reminds me of Japanese chambara films. Anyway, this is another film that deserves the remastered treatment.

Um, yes fans. I love Sword of Justice. And it's not just the rain duel on the bridge, it's crucified assassins with "belly knife art", beauty playing guzheng on the sand beach, Immortal Den where killers can drink in peace.. and my favorite, morbid swordsman with the black veil Lu Tu Hsueh, who's carving a wooden eagle for every life he has taken: I only like dead enemies, I don't like alive friends. One of my fave characters in any Taiwanese wuxia and one of my fave quotes! 

You are right about remastering, if there's one movie that needs some proper care, it's this one. But despite its bad shape, the quality just shines through.

Taiwanese indie rulz!

• Like 3