Omni Dragon

Bashers or Shapes  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Bashers or Shapes

• Bashers
    • Shapes

Guest Markgway

I voted "shapes".

That's in reference to the actual fight sequences and not necessarily the overall quality of the film.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard
Was Bruce Lee the first true Chinese style to be shown in 70's Hong Kong film? It would be pretty badass if that was the case, as it does seem like karate got more press (and real HK screen attention) in the beginning of the kung fu boom.

Not having seen every martial arts movie that came out between THE CHINESE BOXER and THE BIG BOSS I cannot answer for certain but its likely true. Looking at Chang Cheh's output at the time, he was still directing swingy-arm/knife-fighting action in VENGEANCE! (1970) and THE DUEL (1971). Chang's DUEL OF FISTS had some good Muay Thai action for the time but it wasn't Chinese kung fu.

Filmmakers didn't start cranking out basher films in large quantity until after FIST OF FURY became a mega hit. One reason why foreigners like Kurata and Chin Kang (AKA Kam Kong) became stars early on in these films was due to the fact that Hong Kong had too few trained martial artists of their own to even come close to matching Lee. I love stars like Wang Yu and Ti Lung but they just couldn't compete on the same level. That's probably also why karate, taekwondo and hapkido gained early popularity, at least until Lau Kar-leung shifted focus back to southern Shaolin forms. Chen Kuan-tai was the big exception at the time since he had formal training and was able to take advantage of it in ways Ti Lung never fully did with his Wing Chun training.

Mark Pollard
I want also point out that while 'shapes' were big in the mid to late 70s, there were films that predated that period that would fall into that category from the early 70s. Namely, the Angela Mao flicks Hapkido and When Tae Kwan Do Strikes. They focus on specific styles of combat, rather than some non-descript, swinging arm, karate-fu approach to fighting on screen.

KFS

Good point. I just watched the trailers for HAPKIDO and WHEN TAEKWONDO STRIKES again to refresh my memory and Mao's forms are really strong in those films.

q-1S_lG9O8Y

M3H7jIKLLIk

TibetanWhiteCrane

Sammo's choreo in most of the early GH flicks were lightyears ahead of anything from SB, Indie scene or anything you could find in a Bruce Lee movie!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Great history here. Thanks Mark.

Now don't get me wrong I found plenty of masterpieces in the basher films.

But showing us REAL Chinese kung fu was what these movies were ultimately about.

The Lady Kung Fu promotion voice is hillarious. Need I say more!

GD Y-Y

I appreciate the "Shapes" and "Boxers" films alike but for different reasons and sometimes even depending on my mood.

Even though the plot of those boxer films might all be similar, I like to watch chaotic boxer films with dark characters and storylines, I appreciate the intensity and I enjoy the hard action, especially when I might have a bad mood, it gives me something to relate to as an outlet in some way.

But, as somebody with general interest in all different martial arts styles also, I enjoy seeing and comparing forms and techniques, it inspires me to read and learn more about styles or the background of the actors.

So, I can't really pick one over the other. Actually sometimes its nice to switch around and watch different things.

I guess this didn't really make any contribution to the poll but thought I'd give my thoughts if it is any use.

Jesse Smooth

I like them both for different reasons. Bashers, I enjoy watching a good streetfight. Shapes, I find the choreography aesthetic.

That's the kind of fighting that I think kung fu movies need to get back to. The gritty, streetbrawling style combined with a few shapes. Only because when people think of kung fu these days, they think of contemporary wushu.

I agree with Jesse Smooth. we desperately need some old school back on the scene. it's time for a change!

I agree with Jesse Smooth. we desperately need some old school back on the scene. it's time for a change!

I don't think old school shapes (like say 7 GM) will ever become mainstream again because people find them too unbelievable and staged. I think chinese martial arts movies will stick with choreography more like Fearless or IP Man. :yociexp49:

Jesse Smooth
I don't think old school shapes (like say 7 GM) will ever become mainstream again because people find them too unbelievable and staged. I think chinese martial arts movies will stick with choreography more like Fearless or IP Man. :yociexp49:

Even if they don't fully go back to shapes, I'd love to see them bring back the brawling/streetfighting style. BTW I know I'm behind, but I have yet to see Ip Man and Ong Bak 2.

ironfistedmonk

Wu shu has been done to death, action needs to go old skool and people need to start getting bust up proper again instead of the flowery posturing of wu shu. The end fight in Ong Bak 2 was a good start to the revival, some nice hard hitting shapes.

Even if they don't fully go back to shapes, I'd love to see them bring back the brawling/streetfighting style. BTW I know I'm behind, but I have yet to see Ip Man and Ong Bak 2.

I'd say Ong Bak 2 is as close as shapes as your going to get nowadays, I'd even call Jaa's Muay Thai moves in his previous movies closer to shapes as he follows through with the motions, that being said it's very brutal and more like a basher, a perfect combination if you ask me, or at least going towards it:yociexp27:

Jesse Smooth
I'd say Ong Bak 2 is as close as shapes as your going to get nowadays, I'd even call Jaa's Muay Thai moves in his previous movies closer to shapes as he follows through with the motions, that being said it's very brutal and more like a basher, a perfect combination if you ask me, or at least going towards it:yociexp27:

That's what I'm talking about! If that's the case, then the Thais are showing us that it (shapes) can still be done. Hell, I haven't seen it, but I've heard very good things about The Rebel (Vietnam), which I think, choreography-wise is a throwback to the old school.

Sad the Chinese can't get back to their roots. Hell, I'd like to see Taiwanese films make a comeback.

i think, as many others have said, in most of Asia it is the cute model/singers who are getting all the action roles and making big films.. these are the idols that the young fans want to see..

but I remember something that Yuen Biao said in an interview.. its not necessarily a lack of talent, because there would be alot of talent out there.. but you also need the right people, director, producer and so on.. somebody who can take the talent and knows what to do with it and how to present it properly, and also people with the money to support and bring the vision to film..

Sammo had the right idea with the film he did called 'Wushu' that Jackie Chan also produced/financed I believe.. we need more like this.. but not so much a cultural film.. something like a old school film like we have been discussing here..

Archived