Xenon/Arena & Lion Video VHS - cut run times?

Chris

Hi all - glad to be part of the group!

I'm wondering - does anyone know if Xenon or Lion cut (edit out) parts of movies they put out? The VHS tapes I bought, released by these companies, have shorter running times than listed on the boxes and the tapes themselves (I think they all say 90 min approx). I checked the running times on Hong Kong Cinemagic website also, and compared to the actual length of time the movie played on my VCR (which is new). Some were way short:

-Born Invincible (Arena/Xenon) - actual running time 1:00:22 (60 min). HKCine says RT is 1:23:00 (83 min).

-Invincible Armor (Arena/Xenon) - actual running time 1:33:36 (94 min). HKCine says RT is 1:41:00 (101 min).

-Kid With the Golden Arm (NS/Lion/Ground Zero) - actual running time 1:15:00 (75 min). HKCine says RT is 1:21:00 (81 min). Other websites say it's 86 min.

2 other tapes, 7 Grandmasters on Xenon, and Return of Master Killer on Lion, seemed OK on running times. (89 min and 99 min).

If I have butchered, edited-for-tv or just shorter-to-save-money versions of these movies I definitely want to replace them with uncut copies, so I was wondering if anyone knows about different versions out there or any explanations.

Many people dislike Ocean Shores but "All Ocean Shores feature movies are original uncut versions" as the boxes say!

I've seen a thread with a lot of info on company's retitling of movies (Wu Tang Collection/Arena), but couldn't find anything on them cutting down running times. Any help would be appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I can't comment on the running times, but I can say that anything you get on DVD other than Xenon/Arena/Ground Zero is a step up. George Tan liked to use VHS source prints of varying quality.

KFS

Guest Markgway
Born Invincible (Arena/Xenon) - actual running time 1:00:22 (60 min). HKCine says RT is 1:23:00 (83 min).

If your tape is only 60 mins then it's been cut to shit, mate! The English dub should run 83m @ PAL speed. No idea if the subbed print is longer.

A lot of these bootleg US tapes and DVDs are sourced from old TV screenings or US theatrical prints. TV versions are always cut, and sometimes the theatrical ones are too. It's hit and miss. You have to check each title before buying it.

Full running times AFAIK:

Invincible Armor = 101m (PAL, dubbed)

7 Grandmasters = 90m (NTSC, subtitled)

Return of Master Killer = 99m (PAL, dubbed)

Most versions of Kid With the Golden Arm are cut, except the IVL DVD (Region 3, HK). That runs 81m and is a PAL-to-NTSC transfer (with frame cuts). The theatrical run time would be something like 85-89m, to put it in context.

Most of the Lion & Xenon tapes that I have seen have been cut. Many of them are just copies of Ocean Shores tapes, and at the least, they would usually cut wherever the superimposed Ocean Shores logo would appear onscreen near the beginning of the movie.

There was a very big cut at the beginning of Fight For Survival (Lady Wu Tang), which removed the entire sequence of stealing and dividing the book.

The worst for me was Fearless Young Boxer, which Xenon retitled Method Man, with Peter Chang and Casanova Wong. THe film was cut majorly and the final running time was about 63 minutes. Very horrible.

Archived