Phantom Kung FU

rederror

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I though it was quite entertaining and it's worth trying out for Chang Yi’s hilarious villain role and the monkey-duo (Gam Ming and Wang Tai-Lang).

For those in the know: Is the Vengeance Video DVD the best version for the moment? Or perhaps there are better dvd-r versions in circulation?

There's a good thread on this movie some pages back(or maybe it was on Chang Yi), seems to be one of those movies people either love or hate, as for myself I'm in the "love it" department, one of Chang Yi's best roles next to Bells of Death if you ask me.

ironfistedmonk
There's a good thread on this movie some pages back(or maybe it was on Chang Yi), seems to be one of those movies people either love or hate, as for myself I'm in the "love it" department, one of Chang Yi's best roles next to Bells of Death if you ask me.

I lean the other way I hated this! Chang Yi's character was annoying and I usually love the guys work and Wong Tao was also below par. I rather stupidly didn't get the ending either, I watched it late at night and was knackered but I remember it being a bit left field.

The Silver Fox

I picked up the Video Asia version which is titled 'Mantis in the Monkey's Shadow' it hast Gordon Liu interview and demo. Kind of a quirky movie but worth picking up IMO. I paid 1.50 for it so I can't really complain.

For a DVD from Video Asia it’s surprisingly good because of the Gordon Liu interview and that the sound isn’t out of synch for a change but it brings out some of the most ear killing digital noize in some scenes (at least my disc have that problem).

For a DVD from Video Asia it’s surprisingly good because of the Gordon Liu interview and that the sound isn’t out of synch for a change but it brings out some of the most ear killing digital noize in some scenes (at least my disc have that problem).

The Vengeance DVD has this problem as well - a very loud 'beep' in one scene.

Thanks guys. i saw a small clip on youtube a while ago but cant seem to find it now. When i saw the clip i must admit that Chang Yi's character did look like it might be a bit love or hate but the small action clip i saw looked rather good. anyone got a link to a clip?

I love this movie. I thought it had good fight scenes, an intriguing plot, and was an all-around blast, and that Chang Yi was outrageously terrific in it!

BlackLamaFaction

Chang Yi was great as usual with his cool smoking palms, the only thing I didn't like was how they built up how Tommy lee and his Drunken Monkey brother (Wang Tai Lang) were supposed to be really amazing fighters.(I mean they were on the cover of the movie) and then Chang Yi beats them both in like 2 minutes with no problem, that was really a let down. And the ending was kind of weak as well.(I don't want to give it away for those who haven't seen it.) Besides that the kung fu was pretty good, which is something I've come to expect when Tommy Lee is in charge of the action and choreography.

I really liked that Tommy Lee fight, there was some great monkey KF acrobatics in there between the two brothers(I know they're on the cover but it's not even the name of the movie :xd:), I also love the brutal exchanges between Chang Yi and Don Wong. The ending, is, unique, I'm still not fully sure of wtf happens at the end, magic? brothers? Chang Yi goes through 4-5 Don Wongs before his demise

BlackLamaFaction

I agree the fight was great technically. I just thought Tommy Lee and his brother were going to give Chang Yi a better (maybe longer) fight. At the time they made it seem like they were the only hope of beating Chang Yi. When they lost I was like what are they gonna do now. I totally didn't see the ending coming either, they just drove Chang Yi nuts. I mean, I did like the film. There were just a few aspects I thought could have been better. But then again I'm not a Martial Arts filmmaker either.:tongue:

Archived