Just re-watched Invincible Armour!

rederror

Well the last time i saw this film was about 5 years ago. Although i could remember all the fight scenes and story etc, there was one thing i did forget and that is how superb the action is. I mean the choreography is fantastic. The action as so polished and accurate it made for a very enjoyable view. As a fan of John Liu i have to say he looks very sharp in this film, as do Tino Wong, Hwang Jang Lee and Phillip Ko. It was also good to see Yuen Biao in a few fight scenes too although i'm pretty sure he must have been one of the masked assassins aswell. Overall this has to be one of the most solid Kung Fu movies of all time. I know it is a classic, but watching it again really hit home how good this film is.

The dvd i have of this is the Vengeance Video release here in the UK which appears to be widescreen. the picture quality is superb on this print. I'd love to get hold of this subtitled.

I know this has been discussed many times on this forum, but has anyone have any thoughts on this film?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i haven't picked this up, because I also would rather have the original language version with subtitles. But if you say the print is good I might just put up with the dub seeing as how can get hold of vengeance video titles under £4 anyway

I would pick it up to be honest. Not a fan of dubs myself but this one is actually quite a good old school dub and not annoying. I was quite amazed at the picture to be honest, very crisp and sharp even in dark scenes. it also appears to be uncut compared to my old VHS copy which has a few scenes missing compared to this dvd.

I've got the German DVD. I don't know if the image quality is different to the Vengeance releases, but I know the film kicks ass on both releases. A film that deserves it's status as a classic.

I've got the German DVD. I don't know if the image quality is different to the Vengeance releases, but I know the film kicks ass on both releases. A film that deserves it's status as a classic.

It's an anamorphic upconvert - the best image is the out-of-print dual-layer UK release.

Invincible Armour has always been a classic for me, probably in my Top 5. There's no denying that its a top all-round masterpiece with a great story, dubbing and good fights, however, after recently re-watching it--taking into account all the other classics and exposure I've had as a collector over the years--I would now say that there is something missing in the choreography. I've always been aware this is one of the few movies where Hwang Jang Lee fails to perform a triple aerial kick. Now, this might be down to HJL or the action choreographer. Anyhow, the choreography in general is nowhere near as complex as, say, Hell's Wind Staff; it doesn't even come close. It may be because I've seen IA over 50 times now that I can transcribe a fight scene on paper, whereas something like Hell's Wind Staff or Secret Rivals II you would need to go in slow motion and really observe the maneuvers. This cannot be said for Armour based on my 'mature' re-assessment, and the fight between the 2 foxes is almost like Kung Fu The Headcrusher--punch and block! I may be forced to place it further down in my Top 10.

I understand your views Falkor, the choreography isn't as intricate as say Secret Rivals 2 etc but i felt that the overall feel of the movie was just very polished and thought out. All the strikes seem to hit the target with a lot of force which is what impressed me. Indeed Hwang Jang Lee does not perform the triple kick and i have to say his leg work is probably underused in Invincible Armour. Still a classic though. Cheers for the comments.

Yang Wu Liang

Great film! Not in my top ten but awesome none the less.

Greenfan didn't mention that he put on a showing of it on the big screen at his film festival in Birmingham, I had the pleasure of being there and it was a real treat!

When I first saw this (years ago) I was disapointed however at that time I was expecting fights scenes of the level of the Victim- and that I quickly realised that just wasn't going to happen on a regular basis!

I rewatched IA a couple of months ago and did enjoy it more than when first saw it- its a good film! However the fights are not as high level as perhaps they should be

awww suckage its out of stock at thehut.com....if they dont have it nowhere else will at a good price at least:laluot_10:

Blimey! i would love to see this on the big screen. unfortunately i have not had the opportunity of seeing any old school kung fu on the big screen. Only one i've seen was 36 Chamber when they were showing a few martial arts movies in London. Was ok but i think they just showed the Celestial DVD though. Sound wasnt loud enough either but was good to see on a big screen. Anyone know any places in London or the UK that shows kung fu on a big screen?

Archived