Bruceploitation Book...Coming soon

shukocarl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for their kind words about my little girl.

Book is creeping forward, cover is now in place thanks to an extremely skilled individual who frequents these forums :wink:

The front cover:

bruceploitation.gif

The foreword is subject to change, but no doubt someone extremely knowledgeable on the subject will put the cherry on the cake.

The Foreword, that we've been waiting on has now been recieved from a certain individual (wink!).

Hopefully it won't be too long now....

Carl

sifu iron perm

when is this released? Im very interested..

i remember a magazine (fanzine) dedicated to the Bruceploitation, way back in 96 or 98? Great 40 page, loads of pics and trivia.

Keep us posted!!

drunkenmaster

I'm just picking up on this. I've been off line for a while.:sad: I'd be very keen to get hold of a copy of this as I've always had a fascination with the Bruceploitation films. Great that Bey Logan found time to do a forward for you. When you get a release date let me know and I'll see if the guys at podcastonfire will plug it for you. I'm sure they will. :wink:

Well guys we have another setback. It looks like we will have to change the title again (The Clones of Bruce Lee, Clones of the Dragon). The Bruce Lee estate is about to come down heavy on people who are making a fast buck out of Bruce. I know our book IS NOT about Bruce but it looks as if we will have to scrap the word 'Bruceploitation' and 'Dragon' in the title as they could be construed as refereing to Bruce Lee - AKA 'The Dragon' as he is known internationally. It's better to be wise now than have them block the book. It may now come out as: 'Death Dealing Imposters of the Martial Arts' : HERE COMES THE KUNG FU CLONES!, a little less descriptive to newbies but pretty much recognisable to the bona-fide Clone nut!

I'll keep every one informed...

Carl Jones

PS Don't worry...it WILL happen!:smile:

TibetanWhiteCrane

"The Bruce Lee estate" are a bunch of fucknuts!!!! They've been suing people for I don't know how long, for the most nitpicky reasons imaginable! They are truly a pathetic lot!

Guest Markgway
The Bruce Lee estate is about to come down heavy on people who are making a fast buck out of Bruce.

Yeah, and writing a reference book is making a fast buck? It's hard work and not very proftable... unlike running someone's estate.

'Dragon' in the title as they could be construed as refereing to Bruce Lee - AKA 'The Dragon' as he is known internationally.

I would say you're fairly safe with using the word 'Dragon'. They existed before Bruce rumour has it. Only if you use it in conjuction with 'Bruce Lee' or as 'The Little Dragon' (his nickname) would they have an assemblance of a case. But such a case would be bloody near impossible to prove. There's no law against writing about Bruce Lee or using his name in a title (if there was the myriad of biographies would be cleared form shelves). The estate would have to prove some kind of exploitative intent on your part. Most of these threats are empty because it costs money to take publishers to court and there's little guarantee of winning anything other than negative publicity.

It may now come out as: 'Death Dealing Imposters of the Martial Arts' : HERE COMES THE KUNG FU CLONES!, a little less descriptive to newbies but pretty much recognisable to the bona-fide Clone nut!

Can I suggest you take a bit longer with the title... that's not really working.

Hi Mark

I take on board what you say regarding the whole title business but I have been advised by John not to go down that route. He had problems with the estate over his book 'Bruce Lee Review' (a very good read BTW) and so rather than tangle with them again, we'll keep to the safe side of the road. BTW the "Death Dealing Imposters of the Martial Arts" is just a byline over the title of HERE COMES THE KUNG FU CLONES. I even lobbied for CLONES OF YOU KNOW WHO! with the words Bruce Lee crossed out....but we're gonna go with the above to quickly wrap the thing up.

Regards

Carl

TibetanWhiteCrane

Who exactly are "the Bruce Lee estate"???

Linda, Shannon and a bunch of thieving shyster lawyers??

And yes, like Mark said, THEY DO NOT OWN THE WORD DRAGON!

Guest Markgway
I take on board what you say regarding the whole title business but I have been advised by John not to go down that route. He had problems with the estate over his book 'Bruce Lee Review' (a very good read BTW) and so rather than tangle with them again, we'll keep to the safe side of the road.

I understand. Sometimes the mere threat of legal wrangles is enough to put publishers off and that's what the likes of The Bruce Lee Estate count on. If it came to court they'd have a tough time proving their case. I believe they won their case against Dan Inosanto (Bruce's probably rolling in his grave) but that was because he was teaching Bruce's style and using it's symbolism. Technically they had a good case. Personally I'd love to take them on -- but then I'm a bit crazy. It's safer to comply and know that the Estate will get nothing out of your profits. Look forward to reading your book (whatever it ends up being called...)

Hi all, just to clarify that the title change is my doing. There has been no pressure from the Bruce Lee Estate or anyone associated with the Bruce Lee Estate to do anything in relation to this project. I am exercising caution so we don't have to fix things after the fact. I want Carl's book to hit the ground running and sell on its own merits. Unlike the subject matter it covers, it's not going to ride the shirttails of Bruce Lee's reputation and legacy.

...but I have been advised by John not to go down that route. He had problems with the estate over his book 'Bruce Lee Review'

I also want to nip this in the bud. I DID NOT and do not have problems with the Bruce Lee Estate on any level, nor they with me. On the contrary, they were extremely supportive during the Bruce Lee Review book's two-year development period and saw two drafts of my manuscript before I went to print. They gave me their blessing to proceed but stopped short of an official endorsement. I also dilligently licensed images from Fortune Star and Warner Brothers to ensure that all legal obligations were met on my part.

My apologies to John. I mistakenly thought thre Estate had give him problems over his book. I retract my comments from the record. Note to myself: get the facts right Carl!!

Archived