Bruceploitation Book...Coming soon

shukocarl

I don't know if anyone here is intrested (especially as tomorrow is the 36th anniversary of Bruce Lee's passing) but my book on Bruceploitation movie reviews is nearing publication. The main focus is on Bruce Li with a 'best of' section of the other imitator's movies. I suppose you could call it an affectionate look at, rather than a serious, deep examination of the sub- genre.

At the moment there are a few tweaks to be made to the text and the pictorial content / cover still to be selected. I'm hoping it will retail for about £15 as initially it will only be a small print run.

I'm hoping it will be available by the end of August/early September.

Reagrds

Carl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, can it be bought direct from you or someplace like amazon? I'd be willing to support this kind of work. Best of luck.

Up to now nothing has been set. I'm hoping it will be available on Amazon but will keep everyone updated. Price should be around £15, a pit pricey I know but it will be a small print run initially. Btw thanks for the kind words fellas!

Carl

prinnysquad

Any more news on this Carl? What title is the book going to have? I'd order a copy for sure.

Still waiting to hear from my 'Project Manager' on progress...expect some news soon!

This publishing lark is one s-l-o-w process......:khi4m:

Guest Markgway

Carl,

You wouldn't happen to know if Story of the Dragon aka Bruce Lee's Secret was released in HK would you?

I have a HK release date for a film called Story of the Dragon as 7th Oct, 1976.

AFAIK the only film with that title (original or alt) is Bruce Lee's Secret (HKFA title).

Good luck with the book BTW.

Mark

You are correct mate. According to Mel Tobias' review in 'Asiaweek' dated October 8th 1976 Bruce Lee's Secret debuted in Hong Kong. Not to be confused with Behind Bruce Lee-aka He's a Legend He's a Hero-aka The Dragon Lives which was released earlier in the year.

Carl

Guest Markgway

Thanks for that info, mate.

Curious that the HKFA record the film as Bruce Lee's Secret, but the box office data records it as Story of the Dragon.

Wonder which title it actually played in theatres under... or if the original Chinese print has an English title.

bruceleeclones

it played in Hong Kong as Bruce Lee's Secret, ive got a scan of the original HK poster on my site.

Guest Markgway
it played in Hong Kong as Bruce Lee's Secret, ive got a scan of the original HK poster on my site.

Thanks.

This film has more titles than I've had hot dinners.

FOUR in the UK alone.

Bruce Lee - Master of Jeet Kune Do (Censored cinema release)

Secret of Bruce Lee (Censored VPD tape)

Bruce Lee - True Story (Censored Vengeance DVD)

The Bruce Lee Story (Firefly DVD - not sure of cut status at present)

A lot of websites confuse this with other films which doesn't help at all.

bruceleeclones

yeah ive seen this movie wrongly listed so many times. Most sites even list it as A Dragon Story, which of course is a completly different movie. Think all the UK versions have cut the nunchaku scene apart from the pre-cert.

I believe it's also done the rounds as:

Bruce Lee's Deadly Kung fu

The Secret of Bruce Lee and

Bruce Lee and Jeet Kune Do

Guest Markgway

I haven't finished the DVD yet -- but the Firefly edition has the nunchaku scene present and intact.

Not sure if the VHS suffered any further cuts to compare? I haven't spotted any obvious jumps or editing issues.

I got this in Poundland so worth picking up if you want to own it. I'll be putting mine up for trade later today.

On-screen (video generated) title is The Bruce Lee Story.

EDIT: Just finished the film and it appears to be uncut.

Anyone know who plays the main bad guy? The one on the horse using the whip? He doesn't get any billing.

Well, I've just seen a test page from the forthcoming book....it's looking good I have to say.

Hopefully it won't be long now!:bigsmile:

Carl

Killer Meteor
Thanks.

This film has more titles than I've had hot dinners.

FOUR in the UK alone.

Bruce Lee - Master of Jeet Kune Do (Censored cinema release)

Secret of Bruce Lee (Censored VPD tape)

Bruce Lee - True Story (Censored Vengeance DVD)

The Bruce Lee Story (Firefly DVD - not sure of cut status at present)

A lot of websites confuse this with other films which doesn't help at all.

This is the one where Bruce is called Bob for some reason?

Sorry all, I'm the one delaying Carl's book. Been working on it as and when I can but my daughter had a nasty accident recently and has been in and out of hospital for surgery. The whole thing kind of put the skids on the book's development, which has been a long time coming anyway.

:yociexp88:

• Administrator

Thanks for letting us know what's going on.

And I pray that your daughter will have a fast and full recovery.

I just recieved the first version of the cover of the book and looks like the foreward will be on it's way from Hong Kong very soon!

Archived