Cantonese Audio Track for Five Element Ninjas

magicpoe

Does anyone have Five Element Ninjas AKA Chinese Super Ninjas AKA Super Ninjas in Cantonese? Linn once commented that Five Element Ninjas was released originally in Cantonese. Media Blasters would like to include the Cantonese language track on their DVD release but Celestial has not provided it.

Now DO NOT turn this thread into a flame war about original language tracks of Shaw Brothers films.

Also DO NOT turn this into a flame war about Linn and what he did or did not know about the original language tracks of Shaw Brothers films.

I will urge Media Blasters to press Celestial to provide the Cantonese language track. But if Celestial doesn't have it, or just will not provide it, if one of us has it, let's try to get it into the hands of Media Blasters. They will clean it up and provide it on the DVD. That way Mandarin and Cantonese will be available and you can watch the movie however you like. They should already have the English dub also.

Send me a pm if you have more information.

Thank you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Linn was correct: Five Element Ninjas was released in HK theatres with a Cantonese dub.

The intended language was Mandarin, however, and that's how it was released in other Asian countries (although they probably would've shown it in Mandarin even if it wasn't...)

It's more important Media Blasters obtain a Mandarin mono track, but there's no harm in putting on a Cantonese one as well... so all bases are covered.

is there any evidence of a cantonese VIDEO release? because unless some collector is on this forum who has access to theater film reels, we may be just chasing ghosts.

i know it's a moot point, as the likely candidate will just pm you.

but media blasters is nice like that. they have been releasing pretty decent and thorough material.

don't have to worry about the super ninjas dvd, seems like they are on that. ENG audio uncut are we sure they have it?

mantis FIST
ENG audio uncut are we sure they have it?

Doesn't the Vista Video version contain the uncut eng dub? I have it sourced from a beta pre record if needed.

Cheers!

I love that Media Blasters goes out and asks for help, while companies like Dragon Dynasty feel they're too good to ask for extras. I've helped Dragon Dynasty in the past, but only after bugging them to see if they'd be interested in certain features.

Here's hoping MB/TS can somehow obtain a Cantonese track. Wonder why Celestial of all people don't have one :(

MB will be in breach of contract if Celestial has it but does not provide it. They would not have the rights to release it on their print.

But if they just don't have it, that's another story, right? Seems odd they would not be able to put it on, all MB/TS releases so far have had the Mandarin AND Cantonese tracks.

Just skimmed the Ground Zero (Vista Video had same media) print - 1:44:45

CS print is 1:43:15

So that answers the question to uncut ENG dubb. Even so, Manis Fist coming through in the clutch if need be.

Are these guys hiring?

I've confirmed that Media Blasters release of Five Element Ninjas will have both English and Mandarin soundtracks in MONO.

Haven't found anyone with the Cantonese soundtrack yet. I appreciate the comments made on this subject so far.

I've confirmed that Media Blasters release of Five Element Ninjas will have both English and Mandarin soundtracks in MONO.

Haven't found anyone with the Cantonese soundtrack yet. I appreciate the comments made on this subject so far.

Well, we at least have that so far. Knowing Media Blasters, worst case scenario, they'll at least put a note at the beginning of the film saying that despite heavy efforts, they were unable to obtain a Cantonese track. I know they put a note for the English dubs for Martial Club and Black Magic 2 saying they were incomplete and were added for "archival purposes". We know they try their best right to the very end, unlike most other companies.

Fingers crossed for a Cantonese track to be found, but we at least know that Mandarin and English mono tracks will be on there.

Guest Markgway

Chances are if FEN wasn't released on VHS in HK with a Canto dub it won't have been released anywhere with one. The only remaining possibility would therefore be a camcorder bootleg. Most countries would show the original Mandarin version or an English dub.

i was going to do this one, but when i heard mb was releasing it, i cancelled.

we must all support the officials!

mantis FIST
i was going to do this one, but when i heard mb was releasing it, i cancelled.

we must all support the officials!

What are you smoking MB is the official for the USA. Where have you been? :yociexp44:

yeah but there was no word on what all celestials they will be releasing to region 1. is there?

yeah but there was no word on what all celestials they will be releasing to region 1. is there?

You mean MB? They released their list of ten films a couple of years back. Five Element Ninjas is the last of their first batch. I've read around here that they snatched up ten more films, yet no one's mentioned what they are.

Archived