Old School kung films with more than one English dub

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

For the record, only counting oldish dubs. So not bothering with the Star TV re-dubs, ie. Young Master

Fearless Fighters AKA A Real Man (1971)

1. US dub commisioned for re-edit by Richard Ellmann. Rescored

2. Possible original HK based dub corresponding to uncut version. Need confrimation on that one

The Big Boss AKA Fists Of Fury (1971)

1. 1971 dub using HK based dubbers and original Wang Fu Liang score. No official video release

2. 1973 re-dub, likely commissioned by US distributors National General. Has music by Peter Thomas, though Wang is still credited. Seen uncut on the old Fox DVD

3. Hybrid dub, seen on the Hong Kong Legends and Fox Ultimate Collection dvds. Mostly (2), but the scene where Bruce's voice over is heard as he sits by the river comes from (1).

Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger AKA Bruce Lee Star Of Stars (1976)

1) Original HK based dub, seemingly not avaliable anywhere but...

2) It can be heard during the final fight sequence of the Dimension (no, not THAT Dimension) films US release, re-dubbed and supervised by sci-fi veteran Hugo Grimaldi. It seems the superior US dubbing is imitating the original dub to a certain extent. Avaliable in a BBFC censored DVD in the UK and US

Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth AKA Bruce Lee: True Story (1976)

1) Original HK based dub, seemingly not avaliable anywhere but...

2) It can be heard in the last reel of the US video edition of the US theatrical version for some reason! The remainder of the dubbing is by the New York based August films

3) Full US re-dub,, as heard on the UK videos and DVDs. However, it is censored by the BBFC to remove the nunchaku

Oddly, the US video has the original US theatrical title card but no credits. The UK video has no title card, beyond the (boo!) BBFC certificate, but has a full set of credits, including for the US dubbers!

Drunken Master (1978)

1) original HK based dub, as heard on the Made In Hong Kong vhs in the UK

2) Re-dub, of unknown origin, as heard on the HKL (Uk) and Columbia Tristar (US) DVDs. I actually suspect this was done for the original US theatrical release, as it sounds fairly old, and several of the voice actors sound familar (I think I hear Burt Kwork at some points)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThunderScore

Does SILVER HERMIT FROM SHAOLIN TEMPLE and THE SILVER SPEAR count? It's more or less the same film with different dubbing.

Hapkido ( Original export dub and HKL dvd new dub)

Blood of the Dragon (Original export and U.S. dub)

Way of the Dragon (US dub and UK dub which is same as US until final reel then becomes HK dub fight sounds)

any more....?

Killer Meteor
Hapkido ( Original export dub and HKL dvd new dub)

Blood of the Dragon (Original export and U.S. dub)

Way of the Dragon (US dub and UK dub which is same as US until final reel then becomes HK dub fight sounds)

any more....?

I don't really count the new dubs on the HKLs myself but...there are two dubs for Hapkido. The original one, as heard on the lady Kung Fu prints, and the re-dub, which dubs over "kung fu" with "hapkido"

Yeah, you're right mate, I forgot about the 'regular' dub, we in the uk got the one that had the word hapkido dubbed over, and an octave lower!! LOL:D

Bronx Rican

Psych!!

I got one: 36 Crazy Fists had an original dub, then Ocean Shores had their "Ninja Hunter/Emperor of Kung Fu" people dub a new version, called The Master and the Boxer.

Shaolin Chamber 36

I believe Wolf Devil Woman, the Pearl Cheung movie has more than one english dub track. I have the Ocean Shores VCD version of the film, but I believe there is a different english dub available other than the one on that VCD version. I'm sure someone has some more details about this.

The Big Boss AKA Fists Of Fury (1971)

1. 1971 dub using HK based dubbers and original Wang Fu Liang score. No official video release

But we were so CLOSE to an official release five years ago! If only the red tape with Fortune Star could've been cut :(

225157.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jettUra4cLY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jettUra4cLY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

venomsfreak
I believe Wolf Devil Woman, the Pearl Cheung movie has more than one english dub track. I have the Ocean Shores VCD version of the film, but I believe there is a different english dub available other than the one on that VCD version. I'm sure someone has some more details about this.

You're correct WDW does have 2 dub tracks.

kungfusamurai

Didn't Ten Tigers From Kwangtung, the Shaw Bros, have two different dubs within the same film?! I'm referring to the Ground Zero DVD. I can't remember the exact scene, but I think it was when Chiang Sheng's character is talking, he goes from having a higher pitched, comical voice, to a deeper, more serious voice, all in the same scene! I don't know if that was due to the merging of different English dubs by GZ or whoever they took that from, or if it was on the original theatrical release.

KFS

Killer Meteor
Didn't Ten Tigers From Kwangtung, the Shaw Bros, have two different dubs within the same film?! I'm referring to the Ground Zero DVD. I can't remember the exact scene, but I think it was when Chiang Sheng's character is talking, he goes from having a higher pitched, comical voice, to a deeper, more serious voice, all in the same scene! I don't know if that was due to the merging of different English dubs by GZ or whoever they took that from, or if it was on the original theatrical release.

KFS

Sometimes that happens. new Fist of Fury has a similar example. Still same dubbing team, almost as if one of the actors popped out for something!

kungfusamurai
Sometimes that happens. new Fist of Fury has a similar example. Still same dubbing team, almost as if one of the actors popped out for something!

Yes, or maybe the guy went away at the end of the day in the middle of dubbing the scene, and then came back not realizing what voice he had been using for the character. :)

KFS

Killer Meteor
Yes, or maybe the guy went away at the end of the day in the middle of dubbing the scene, and then came back not realizing what voice he had been using for the character. :)

KFS

Most likely. In Godzilla Vs. Gigan, dubbed in HK, the general has his first and final scenes dubbed by effeminate old man (ie. Chen Kuan-tai's dubber in Heroes Two, godamn him!), but his middle scene is dubbed by someone who at least sounds a bit more masculine!

One thing I found interesting in the Star TV redubs is that they maintained to a certain extent the same dubber for a certain actor, so Fung Hark-on and Bill Tung were always lumbered with that irritating guy who voiced the Snake in the old Five Venoms dub

Drunken Monk

By the way, does the original dub of "Drunken Master" exist on DVD anywhere? I much prefer Thunderfoot when he's Thunderfoot and not Rubber Leg.

Killer Meteor
By the way, does the original dub of "Drunken Master" exist on DVD anywhere? I much prefer Thunderfoot when he's Thunderfoot and not Rubber Leg.

He's Thunder foot in both dubs. Rubber Leg is the name of the Hwang Jang-lee character in Dance of Drunken Mantis

ThunderScore

I have two different English dubs of DRUNKEN MASTER. One has the usual "But Still, I Reckon" suspects and Wong Cheng Li is called "Thunderfoot"; the other is the Columbia DVD in which he calls himself "Thunderleg". Altho the quality on the "Thunderfoot" isn't as nice as the "Thunderleg" version, I think I prefer hearing those familiar voices...

Drunken Monk
He's Thunder foot in both dubs. Rubber Leg is the name of the Hwang Jang-lee character in Dance of Drunken Mantis

Sorry, I actually meant "Thunder Leg" as confirmed by the guy above. I much prefer the "Thunder Foot" dub track as I find the accents on the voice overs of the Columbia release to be almost intolerable.

Bronx Rican

I'm one of at least several sad sacks who managed to get his old tape pilfered, and I'd also love to find the old DM dub so I can get another 2-part youtube clip going. 36 Crazy Fists is also getting 2 parts. Oh, and I can't count the number of times the wrong voice came through on characters in some of these dubs (the old restaurant owner in The Master [3 Evil Masters] is one of my faves).

Archived