Volcano High (2001)

Fightingfist

Fightingfist

Saw the trailer and it looked pretty interesting, anyne seen it and please give their opinions thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

Also don't forget that the R1 release has two different versions including the dubbed short one done by several rappers including Snoop Dog.

I liked the movie, but it has been a few years since I've seen it. I got a bootleg before the R1 came out because I refused to watch the dub version when it was originally put out on I think MTV. I remember bits and pieces and would certainly revisit it before say Tube -- though I do remember having some issues with the ending but it is currently unclear what my objections were.

ToothbrushFu

I haven't watched it in a while either but I remember it being a lot of fun. The plot is a bit of a mishmash but its kind of like a Korean high school comedy meets The Matrix. The end fight was wired up and overlong, but a lot of ther other action was well done. The look of the film is very interesting, lots of bleached out colours which suit the mood I think.

If you've seen and enjoyed Arahan then you may like this, in fact that would be a good double bill.

It's been years since I've watched it too. I picked up my dvd, the uncut Special Edition (Cinema Service), back when Whasango was the big movie out of Korea. I think it may be telling that I haven't revisited since then. What I remember is that it felt long, though being the uncut version... Otherwise, I remember there being cool bits, but nothing particular has stuck. Worth a rent, but maybe not a buy; the theatrical version may play different.

Arahan, OTOH, I've watched two or three times. Just ordered Musa; curious to see how that will play. And just for S&Gs, Aachi & Ssipak is loony, filthy fun and Wonderful Days is worth seeking out, too.

Fightingfist

Thanks alot guys for your responses, i will sure check it out and the other films.

littlefuzzy

I keep seeing the R1 version, but of course I won't touch that one with a ten-foot pole, just because of the rappers on the front cover!

masterofoneinchpunch
I keep seeing the R1 version, but of course I won't touch that one with a ten-foot pole, just because of the rappers on the front cover!

Buy it fuzzy you know you want it :D. It also has the uncut version on it too. Sometimes you can find it for around five dollars or so (FYE used or sale).

i saw this when it first aired on tv. if i remember correctly it has decent action and an ok plot. there was an intermission half way through where the rappers were talking about why they made the movie this way etc. not sure if the dvd will have that in it.

Omni Dragon
Yh ive seen it now not bad, any other recommendations?

What of films from Korean or...?

I watched Sisily 2-km (To Catch a Virgin Ghost) this weekend. It was good, but it never quite lived up to it's potential (gangsters vs ghost vs maniacs).

ToothbrushFu

Well, I mentioned Arahan before, give it a go if you liked Volcano High.

Just Korean films in general or ones with a bit of action? For the latter try:

A Bittersweet Life

Musa

No Blood, No Tears

City of Violence

The Chaser

Once Upon a Time in High School

Nowhere to Hide

Shadowless Sword

Taegukgi

Shiri

Morgoth Bauglir

You have probably seen it, but check out Oldboy. All other Korean movies suck in comparison, at least the 40 or so I've seen.

If you can find the original version of The Foul King w/Song Kang-ho, I would highly recommend that. There is a version that has a Chinese dub only (I think Steven Chow does the main character), but you should seek out the one with the original Korean track/english subs. I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd seen in years.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I'd had to the list:

JSA Joint Security Area

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

Crying Fist

The Good, The Bad and The Weird

A tale of two sisters

Bichunmoo

With that and the one mentioned in the posts above, you pretty much have the cream of what South Korea had to offer in the genre movies the last ten years, imho.

PS. I'd scratch Nowhere to Hide though... I genuinely disliked this movie.

One Armed Boxer

Fightingfist...you should check out this thread for some excellent Korean movie recommendations...

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5481

I think `Nowhere To Hide` is a very underrated movie...while it has a standard plot, it more than makes up for it with some very striking images that linger in the mind, and a great use of music.

Some newer Korean movies to check out are `The Good, The Bad, & The Weird`, `Frozen Flower`....and the excellent documentary about a group of Korean stuntmen called `Action Boys`.

The later provides some great insights on the making of `City of Violence`.

ToothbrushFu
PS. I'd scratch Nowhere to Hide though... I genuinely disliked this movie.

lol, I only thought I'd get that reaction if I put Duelist on my list.

Gonna have to put in my Hong Kong VCD of Volcano High tonight then LOL

My favorite character...Jang Ryang....especially when he flips out on the one kid for calling him by his real name....Jang...Dal...CHUN!

Most of my friends don't like this movie at all but I actually think it's a lot of fun. I hate the american dubbed version though.

Archived