REMO WILLIAMS pilot on Encore Action

dionbrother

dionbrother

For US satellite subscribers, the unsold REMO WILLIAMS tv pilot will air on Encore Action in July and August. It has a bad rep, but I found it better than the movie, as the scriptwriters actually respected the books, unlike the movie makers. At 45 minutes, it is worth a look if you enjoyed the paperbacks or the movie.

Give Jeffrey Meek a haircut, replace Roddy McDowell with an asian actor as Chiun, and it could have been a fun series. What might have been....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesse Smooth

It's a shame, the film series didn't take off. I read somewhere that Chuck Norris was a choice to play Remo.

dionbrother

Chuck Norris tried to get the rights to THE DESTROYER, but Murphy & Sapir wouldn't sell to him, fearing he would make a cheap movie for Avco Embassy. It was around the time Chuck made SILENT RAGE. Murphy said after seeing REMO WILLIAMS, he regretted not selling the rights to Norris. AN EYE FOR AN EYE has quite a few nods to THE DESTROYER.

Murphy pushed for Ken Wahl as Remo(he thought Fred Ward was too ugly), and the producers seriously considered Jackie Chan for Chiun. That would have been perfect for 1985.

Jesse Smooth

That could have been the breakout role for Jackie at that time since he has having trouble being marketed in the US.

If given the right budget, the right crew, competent directors, etc., I think Chuck could have pulled it off.

Jesse Smooth

I pulled out an old VHS that I taped from Cinemax years ago. The movie w/Fred Ward could have been much better. I read some posts from the IMDB message board. Some make good sense. I've never read the books, so I can't compare. However, Ward, wasn't too bad as his character was supposed to be clunky at first? Someone on that board had said that Ward had a Bronson-esque look to him.

I enjoy the original movie as 80s camp... hell, I bought the CD soundtrack! Apparently they're giving Remo a second shot by trying to make a new movie based on The Destroyer. Fingers crossed it'll actually do well enough to truly have "The Adventure Begin".

Jesse Smooth

Hopefully, the writers/producers will stay true to the books. But again, this is Hollywood. :(:(

Archived