Philip Kwok

paimeifist

Oh yeah - early '90s flick The Cat. He is absolutely insane in that film. Madder than Mad Dog in HB. Space-alien possessed, walking through fire, carrying a full weapons arsenal. The baddest.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18JadeArafats

He was also director for that Werewolves in France versus Ninjas in Tri-Cornered Hats Movie, whose title really isn't coming to me at all... alright movie, the poster promised a lot more than was delivered. Also had that annoying non-white character is badass but ultimately dies so the white guy can come through and be the hero cliche.

He was also director for that Werewolves in France versus Ninjas in Tri-Cornered Hats Movie, whose title really isn't coming to me at all... alright movie, the poster promised a lot more than was delivered. Also had that annoying non-white character is badass but ultimately dies so the white guy can come through and be the hero cliche.

Brotherhood of the Wolf, Dacascos's best role, and Kwok rules the fight scenes in this, if you watched the English dub the main character does come off as very annoying, I thought his character was very progressive given that he regarded Dacascos as a brother when the French aristocracy considered any one non-white(or non-French for that matter) as barbaric. Of course if it was my movie I would have had everyone die at the end :xd:

18JadeArafats

A student of Chang Cheh's school of filmmaking, eh?

Just went back to watch some of the fight scenes. Yeah I can dig them. I remember being too old-school for the editing of the movie the first time around (just discovered the Venoms, found out Phillip Kwok was martial arts director, went to see the movie in the theatre forgetting that there was 20 years in between Kid with the Golden Arms and this.) But I guess the cutting techniques got even more ADD since then. Heh.

But, the Last-of-the-Mohican syndrome still bugs me. I guess the fact that the characters (Natty Bumppo and Uncas, Fronsac and Mani,etc.) profess their camaraderie and equality make the disproportionate death tolls more annoying than the blatant bias in say, Chinese kung fu vs. Japanese movies.

Brotherhood of the Wolf, Dacascos's best role, and Kwok rules the fight scenes in this, if you watched the English dub the main character does come off as very annoying, I thought his character was very progressive given that he regarded Dacascos as a brother when the French aristocracy considered any one non-white(or non-French for that matter) as barbaric. Of course if it was my movie I would have had everyone die at the end :xd:

Check out the Philip Kwok Interview on the set of Brotherhood of the Wolf at the Venoms Fansite HERE.

18JadeArafats

Thanks, VenomFan. That was a cool interview. Didn't know Phillip Kwok also did Tomorrow Never Dies.

Thanks, VenomFan. That was a cool interview. Didn't know Phillip Kwok also did Tomorrow Never Dies.

Glad you like it! Yeah he did the fight choreo for Tomorrow Never Dies. And continued to work with Michelle Yeoh after that (Silverhawk).

He actually has a brief cameo. The scene where Bond and Yeoh are walking in the hallway (after being captured) they stop and move to the side to let General Chang walk by. Chang is played by Philip Kwok.

Also, alot of people don't know that Kwok basically directed "Les Samourais". And the fight action in this films is really good.

That was such a major disappointment.

Not even sure why they did this scene since his character never made any further appearances in the film.

Would have been fun to see him go toe-to-toe with Michele Yeoh (even if it was just a short fight towards the end).

He actually has a brief cameo. The scene where Bond and Yeoh are walking in the hallway (after being captured) they stop and move to the side to let General Chang walk by. Chang is played by Philip Kwok.

That was such a major disappointment.

Not even sure why they did this scene since his character never made any further appearances in the film.

Would have been fun to see him go toe-to-toe with Michele Yeoh (even if it was just a short fight towards the end).

As far as I know via an article in Eastern Heroes magazine (I think though not too sure as it's been a while) he was supposed to have a major role in Tomorrow Never Dies. The James Bond team had tried to contact him earlier but he couldn't make out what they were saying as Kwok's English was not very good at the time so he just dismissed the call as a hoax.

It is also said that it was Michele who recommended him for the role but by the time Kwok became fully aware of the seriousness of the matter, the usual tight Bond schedule had already commenced so alterations had to be made in the script. Kwok later said he would have liked to do justice to the role by preparing in advance and learning English but there was now less time in the schedule but hence the production was coming to Hong Kong anyway he will do the choreography (again insisted by Michele ) then Roger Spottiswoode decided to show Kwok's original infamous " General Chang " character in the flesh in a walk by part.

Was that the article where Kwok thought they meant him to be 007 and that's why he refused due to his lack of English?

As far as I know via an article in Eastern Heroes magazine (I think though not too sure as it's been a while) he was supposed to have a major role in Tomorrow Never Dies....

Was that the article where Kwok thought they meant him to be 007 and that's why he refused due to his lack of English?

Yeah Teako I think there was also confusion about something like that (on Kwok's part - pun intended) or something along those lines. Do you remember the original source? I'll like to find that article again? Or was it actually from the special features of the Tomorrow Never Dies DVD?

The Oct '95 interview with Toby mentions this. The rest you stated about...

Michele, script alterations, etc. were new to me. Perhaps that was on the DVD?

Yeah Teako I think there was also confusion about something like that (on Kwok's part - pun intended) or something along those lines. Do you remember the original source? I'll like to find that article again? Or was it actually from the special features of the Tomorrow Never Dies DVD?

A student of Chang Cheh's school of filmmaking, eh?

Just went back to watch some of the fight scenes. Yeah I can dig them. I remember being too old-school for the editing of the movie the first time around (just discovered the Venoms, found out Phillip Kwok was martial arts director, went to see the movie in the theatre forgetting that there was 20 years in between Kid with the Golden Arms and this.) But I guess the cutting techniques got even more ADD since then. Heh.

But, the Last-of-the-Mohican syndrome still bugs me. I guess the fact that the characters (Natty Bumppo and Uncas, Fronsac and Mani,etc.) profess their camaraderie and equality make the disproportionate death tolls more annoying than the blatant bias in say, Chinese kung fu vs. Japanese movies.

Hehe, yeah something about the protagonist going out in bloody glory adds to better drama than the guy that gets the hot girl and lives happily ever after in the end, who can believe that shit! They weren't making these movies for sequels back then.

Well I suggest you don't watch the Thai movie Bang Rajan:xd:

Yellow Faced Tiger

The Venoms' films are absolutely awesome. Aside from the actual fight scenes I've always enjoyed the sense of mystery that is usually associated with a Venoms movie plot.

Kid With the Golden Arm

Crippled Avengers

Invincible Shaolin (eh...didn't like the ending too much but that's just me nitpicking I guess)

Magnificent Ruffians

are definitely some of my favorites. Five Deadly Venoms was of course the first Venoms film I saw and while it'll always have a special place in my heart, it feels like a "smaller" film than most other Venom's flicks if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately, although I'm a fan of all the Venoms, I've always liked Lo Mang. Needless to say I'm always sad panda when he winds up doing what he always does in just about every Venoms film...

When I worked for Eastern Heroes in their Chinatown shop, towards the end of it in 1997, Kwok Choy was filming the fight scene with Michelle Yeoh and his stunt guys for Tomorrow Never Dies at the 007 stage at Pinewood studios, and during that time (about a month or so) Kwok Choy started to visit Chinatown for dinner and as he knew my (then) boss Toby Russell very well indeed (Toby was on the sets of the later period Venoms movies etc) he popped into the shop to see him. I freaked out when Kwok Choy walked in, I was so star struck I could hardly talk to him (had the same problem when I met Gordon Liu in1990,but I was only a teenager then). Toby told Kwok how big a Shaw Brothers fan I was (I wrote some articles on Lau Kar Leung and Fu Sheng for the last edition of the Eastern Heroes magazine). During the next few weeks Kwok was a frequent visitor to our shop (as was Michelle Yeoh who looks lovelier in real life than in any movie I've seen her in) and I got Kwok to autograph my original Venoms movie posters. He was one of the coolest guys to meet, on his last day in England on his way to Heathrow he made a detour to see me and say goodbye.

When I worked for Eastern Heroes in their Chinatown shop, towards the end of it in 1997, Kwok Choy was filming the fight scene with Michelle Yeoh and his stunt guys for Tomorrow Never Dies at the 007 stage at Pinewood studios, and during that time (about a month or so) Kwok Choy started to visit Chinatown for dinner and as he knew my (then) boss Toby Russell very well indeed (Toby was on the sets of the later period Venoms movies etc) he popped into the shop to see him. I freaked out when Kwok Choy walked in, I was so star struck I could hardly talk to him (had the same problem when I met Gordon Liu in1990,but I was only a teenager then). Toby told Kwok how big a Shaw Brothers fan I was (I wrote some articles on Lau Kar Leung and Fu Sheng for the last edition of the Eastern Heroes magazine). During the next few weeks Kwok was a frequent visitor to our shop (as was Michelle Yeoh who looks lovelier in real life than in any movie I've seen her in) and I got Kwok to autograph my original Venoms movie posters. He was one of the coolest guys to meet, on his last day in England on his way to Heathrow he made a detour to see me and say goodbye.

Hi popsjnr,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you wouldn't mind me revealing this but from what you have just posted I think you are Chris ( I won't add the surname ) and I'm so happy you are now a member.

I am the quasi Kwok ; you and I used to have a lot of discussions at the China Town shop about Shaw movies and thanks for the special discounts.

Your Shaw reviews were really cool and it was a big loss to us that the Eastern Heroes shop mysteriously closed never to reopen.

I knew Rick since the Camden town days, also knew the late John,and was lucky to meet Bey Logan as well but Toby only briefly.

I once asked Rick why he didn't sign up to our previous message board but he said he thought he is too old for that but didn't mind browsing anonymously which is what I guess most people preferred.

Anyway welcome once again to the forum and we look forward to your contributions.

You guessed right, yeah have been meaning to join since talking to Alexandra thru youtube. Just been busy working and training in Hung Kuen and watching and buying Shaw's from around the world. Bought a load of D.V.Ds in H.K last year, also stood at the gates of Shaw brothers (as close to heaven as I will get) and met Ko Fei on the M.T.R on my last day there

Archived