Who is Kao Fei talking about?

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

In an Interview on a Video Asia DVD release of Sixty Second Assassin, Kao Fei is going on about some actor from the old school kung fu films, who would always lose his temper with the actors he'd be fighting against. He stated that this guy would want to carry on the (choreographed) fight after filming for that day, so as to prove he could beat them in a fight. Kao Fei considered this guy a complete ass. Who is he talking about? I did'nt recognize his name.

I remember hearing a similar story about one well known actor who would do that, but it was such a long time ago I can't remember who it was.

thundered mantis

I´ve seen that interview on a videoasia dvd. If my memory serves me right, he was talking about Dick Wei. If I can locate it, will confirm it

Can't have been Dick Wei. Wei might have been known for going some during the fights, but nobody lasts long in HK filmmaking if they are arseholes.

odioustrident

Just popped the dvd in. Mark Houghton comes on sometime during the interview and starts talking about how Dick Wei got annoyed during the two's fight scene in Final Run. Houghton said that Dick Wei kicked him in the neck during that scene, and indicates it was deliberate. Ko starts talking about Dick Wei in Millionaire's Express, saying the actor got angry on set because he did not want to lose to Yuen Biao, saying it was unrealistic. This is just a summary of what I think the translator says; not sure if I totally buy it, as other interviews have painted Dick Wei as a no nonsense guy to work with. Who knows though. The translator definitely curses a lot; not sure if its what the actors actually said (but its hilarious).

• Like 1

usally he had very little fight scenes even though he had the looks.

Sorry, but that's just silly. Dick Wei was one of Sammo Hung's favourites.

Wei was known for performing movements full power and a lot of people didn't like to fight with him on screen because of this. However you can bet that if he was an idiot Sammo would not have used him to the extent that he did. Major roles in Prodigal Son, Carry on Pickpocket, My Lucky Stars, Millionaires Express, the list goes on and on. Wei was one of the most prolific bad guy actors in HK!

Not only was he in films extensively, but he was also used to train actors new to HK action such as Shannon Lee, Michelle Yeoh etc.

The idea that Wei would even consider getting hot headed at Sammo for not letting him win a fight against Biao (especially when Biao is the good guy who is supposed to win!) is absolutely absurd. Sammo would not have stood for that. That suggestion is even more absurd because by the time of Millionaires Express Wei had already been in loads of films going right the way back to Shaw Bros, so he wasn't exactly new to the concept of playing a bad guy and losing to the main actor!

I think the HKL's DVD of Project A has a lengthy interview with Dick Wei at his home. It's been a while since I've watched it but he also demonstrates his kicking abilities as well. From what I remember of the interview he comes off as a real nice guy. So maybe the other actors were just hating on him? Personally, I would have liked to see him star in a shaw brothers or Golden Harvest flick, don't know why this never came to pass? :l

Found it on you tube!

for some reason it says the URL contained a malformed video ID? which interview is it again? sorry..me no good with computer

Guest Markgway

Dick Wei was prolific between the late 70s and late 80s - everyone used him. If he was unprofessional the action directors wouldn't have put up with him. He worked regularly with Sammo and Jackie which suggests he was top drawer in their book. The Millionaires' Express story sounds like utter rubbish. Wei had played the bad guy umpteen times and the idea that he would have suddenly expected to beat the hero in the finale is absurd (and I doubt even if he'd have thought it he would have ever said it to Sammo). Mark Houghton has been known to have pissed off any number of people in the HK industry so it might be worth bearing that in mind.

silver hermit

the only thing i heard was in a dick wei interview if memory serves me correct he claimed jackie was a little upset that he was using so much power(jackie complains of that a lot lol) i think yuen biao was called in to double him to finish off the scene. he decribed jackie as technical and he used camera angles to create the illusion of contact. after that he changed from jackies team to sammos team and sammo appreciated the full contact a bit more.

• Like 1

kungfusamurai

Dick Wei was under-used when he was at Shaw Bros during the 70s, so he made up for it by being the baddie in almost every Sammo/Jackie GH film during the 80s. I believe his expertise was in Tae Kwan Do, so I can see how he might lack the ability to control his kicks if he wasn't on par with guys like Hwang Jang Lee, who I have yet to hear was hurting people with his kicks on film. That's not including the time he kicked out Jackie's teeth for Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, but I consider that one of his earliest HK/Taiwan films.

Maybe Dick became somewhat Diva-esque when he became such a prominent presence in Sammo's films? I don't think Ko Fei is afraid of anyone, so he's gonna say what's on his mind. I think in the same interview he talks about Lo Lieh not knowing any kung fu, but he doesn't say it in a condescending way.

KFS

• Like 1

Cognoscente
On 7/10/2009 at 2:52 AM, odioustrident said:

Just popped the dvd in. Mark Houghton comes on sometime during the interview and starts talking about how Dick Wei got annoyed during the two's fight scene in Final Run. Houghton said that Dick Wei kicked him in the neck during that scene, and indicates it was deliberate. Ko starts talking about Dick Wei in Millionaire's Express, saying the actor got angry on set because he did not want to lose to Yuen Biao, saying it was unrealistic. This is just a summary of what I think the translator says; not sure if I totally buy it, as other interviews have painted Dick Wei as a no nonsense guy to work with. Who knows though. The translator definitely curses a lot; not sure if its what the actors actually said (but its hilarious).

Well, Dick Wei did make one of Rothrock's ears bleed during the making of Yes, Madam. Dick was a dick!

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU
On 7/10/2009 at 2:17 PM, Guest Markgway said:

Dick Wei was prolific between the late 70s and late 80s - everyone used him. If he was unprofessional the action directors wouldn't have put up with him. He worked regularly with Sammo and Jackie which suggests he was top drawer in their book. The Millionaires' Express story sounds like utter rubbish. Wei had played the bad guy umpteen times and the idea that he would have suddenly expected to beat the hero in the finale is absurd (and I doubt even if he'd have thought it he would have ever said it to Sammo). Mark Houghton has been known to have pissed off any number of people in the HK industry so it might be worth bearing that in mind.

Mark Houghton pissed people off? I had heard that he was more Chinese than some of the Asian American's Jackie had worked with and felt bad about how things shook out with Lau Kar Liang, who from what I can tell was a narcissist himself. Maybe Jackie liked him and everyone else didn't? Going to have to call bullshit on this. 

• Like 3

Cognoscente

I remember reading an Impact interview with Jackie where he said he liked Mark because he wasn't afraid to speak his mind and wasn't a boot-licker like some people who Jackie worked with.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
34 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Maybe Jackie liked him and everyone else didn't?

16 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

I remember reading an Impact interview with Jackie where he said he liked Mark because he wasn't afraid to speak his mind and wasn't a boot-licker like some people who Jackie worked with.

Houghton recalled the story of how he met Chan for the first time on his Facebook page last year - 

1377196326_MarkHoughton1.jpg.29712b60e542e2612bab72f14b5a32a2.jpg

984931809_MarkHoughton2.jpg.524576aafbd9f43938cd2d6e05e587c1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1