Movies featuring the Guan dao?

SharoKham

Have their been any kung fu or wuxia movies that heavily feature the Guan dao? I can think of a couple that feature it briefly, but I was wondering if there was, say, a hero who used it as a weapon of choice or major battles involving one.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
peringaten

My favourite weapon, seems the bad guys like it more than the good guys on-screen; good stuff. Venom Lu Feng's awesome with one - Magnificent Ruffians is the show-stopper showcase for guan-do use; mind-boggling (the same guan-do from that movie pops up in 8 Diagram Pole Fighter). He's also handy in Shaolin Rescuers.

Eddie Ko wields one in We're Going To Eat You. Also, Li Hoi San's weapon of choice in Last Hurrah For Chivalry.

Not much screentime, but I love Lau Kar Wing's guan-do demo in Shaolin Martial Arts.

Wang Lung Wei brings some ruckus with one at the end of The Master (3 evil masters)... Ku Feng does alright with one kind of similarly at the end of The Kung Fu Instructor.

Lo Lieh got one in What Price Honesty a bit here & there, which is alright - prompts me to get even more interested in seeing Bloodthirsty Dead aka Revenge Of The Corpse, just for that tasty poster of him wielding one (hope this gets released, my interest's piqued).

Fearless Hyena features 3 guys using sort of smaller guan-do like weapons, similar-ish in nature enough though, taking on Jackie in a mind-blowing scene that should interest you if you don't already know it - a much more punchy fluid scene similar-ish to one in Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin, although they actually got spears in S&Crane...

Sure others will come to mind...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

There's one in EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER that's taken from the heroes, and used by the villains during the climactic battle. But Gordon Liu does a little Guan do repossession and slices a dude's cheek off with it!

In RED CLIFF the weapon's most famous user General Kwan wreaks havoc with one.

odioustrident

Leung Kar Yan in Odd Couple does some great Guan Dao against Sammo and Lau Kar Wing.

Ku Feng in Kung Fu Instructor is particularly worth seeing because you don't see the Pu Dao too much ("horse cutting knife"?). I heard somewhere thats what it is (?), and the weapon is definitely more brutal and unwieldy than its counterpart.

You get to see some glorious Guan Dao versus soft weapons in a battlefield setting from Curse of the Golden Flower.

Brothers Five makes a big deal out of the main villain's weapon.

Hwang Jang Lee shows his weaponwork with the Guan Dao in Tiger Over Wall.

Morgoth Bauglir

Damn peringaten. Nice. This weapon is so awesome in Magnificent Ruffians.

Some others-

Wang Yu's master in One Armed Boxer

Wilson Tong in Shaolin MAntis

Kam Kong's first opponent in Return of the Chinese Boxer

Lee Chun Wa in Killer Constable

Whoops, I just read all of the first post. Sorry these are only brief appearances I listed.

The Dragon
... Wang Lung Wei brings some ruckus with one at the end of The Master (3 evil masters)...

AND boy, did he look menacing with it! :) I loved his role in this film, along with his fierocity.

butcher wing

lau kar leung uses one in legendary weapons of china, i also love the use of it in magnificent ruffians isn't it also used in The Kung Fu Master?

The Dragon

Two Champions of Shaolin.

I don't know the actor's name, however, he's the guy that crashes in on Lo Mang's wedding seeking revenge. Handled it well too.

Lu Feng won an Asian film award for his performance in Shaolin Rescuers, mainly due to his prowess with the Kwan Dao but technically speaking this is a long handled broad sword or "Ta Dao" (big Knife), a Kwan Dao (Kwan’s Knife) has a shorter but broader blade and has more of a curve to it and should be a lot heavier.

Thought the Kwan Dao fight work in Red cliff was poor, why would the General throw his Weapon to the on coming troops ridiculous!

Other great Kwan Dao or Big Knife performances can be seen in Shaolin Mantis (Wilson Tong), Legendary weapons (Lau Sifu), Dirty Ho (Lo lIeh), Fearless Hyena (Wong Chi sheng), . Odd couple (Beardy). And Magnificent ruffians (Lu Feng). 2 Champs of Shaolin(Wang Li) 7 Grandmasters (Yuen Kwai)

I believe Ray Lui uses one in The Great Conqueror's Concubine. I can't remember how good it was... haven't seen that movie in ages.

GreatConquerorsConcubine1994-15-b.jpg

Archived