Thoughts on Best of the Best Movie Series

sonnychibaidol

sonnychibaidol

Dear Friends,

I have just reignited old memories by purchasing recently a DVD copy of Best of the Best 2. I remember years ago when I saw the first of the Best of the Best movies and absolutely loved it. Both Philip Rhee and Simon Rhee played their roles very well. Best of the Best 2 was even better than the first, so I feel.

However, by the time Best of the Best 3 and Best of the Best 4 came out, I felt a little let down. The third and fourth, even though it may have been directed by Philip Rhee, was not his best. The first 2 of the series reflected the true abilities and talents of both Philip and Simon Rhee.

In real life, both Philip and Simon Rhee are black belts in both Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido.

What are your thoughts anyone?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could've been a really good action/martial arts moviestar, too bad he got stuck in the low budget, direct to video stuff. In my opinion all of the Best of the Best movies at least had a few good fight sequences going for them; the 1st one probably had the best story (& supporting cast) though it got a bit hokey here & there (could've done without Sally Kirkland), but my favorite of the series is the more fu-nographic Best of the Best 2, "message"/touchy feelie stuff lite, action heavy.

A couple other martial arts actors from the 90s who had great potential but didn't get the opportunities they needed to really break through are Jeff Speakman (BTW, is The Perfect Weapon EVER going to get a real dvd release?) & Mr. Iron Chef himself, Mark Dacascos (I love Drive & Only The Strong was OK, too). All three of these guys were easily better actors than Seagal or Norris & their fight scenes were generally better, too. Speakman in particular really got screwed over by Hollywood; he had a multi-picture contract with a majpr film studio, Paramount, then Paramount got sold or went bankrupt or something & he had to settle for working for low budget no class maestros, Cannon Films. Too bad.

jiujitsu77

i really dug part 3 when i was in highschool. i know it was hokey, but i can't really explain it either..just loved the flick and loved the action. phillip rhee is seriously the shit. i wish he was in better films. any rhee brothers recommendations?

kingofkungfu2002

I loved Parts 1-3 (4 was just okay), but it's a shame that Phillip Rhee didn't do more movies. I think he would have made a great Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat.

I've also got the soundtracks to Best Of The Best 1&2 :nerd:

I liked parts 1 and 2. I bought the dvd boxset that had all 4 movies and was very surprised that part 2 had a nunchuku scene which I had never seen before when I watched it on video!

kingofkungfu2002

The nunchaku scenes were cut when it was first released on vhs in the UK, due to the BBFC laws at the time.

Part 3 also has the rather tame rape scene cut on the UK version still.

My favorite is the first film. It was more than just a tournament movie, but we got to learn a lot about each member of the US Karate Team, from Eric Roberts' injury and losing his wife to Philip Rhee's wanting revenge for the death of his brother to David Agresta's upbringing from Detroit (in his scene with Tom Everett, who played trainer Don) to John Dye's Buddhist fighter.

My favorite scene took place at the tournament to determine who became the US Karate Team

Seeing Travis, Sonny goes to Virgil, "He's probably never been breastfed".

Virgil: "Breastfeeding is very high in iron. I was very fond of it as a child."

Sonny: "I'm still fond of it".

LOL

I liked 2 and 3 (especially in 3 where Rhee dressed up as the clown, "I'm Homey the Killer Clown") 4 was okay, but it could have been better.

Archived