SB scans: please ID magazine + issue number

falkor

Most of these come from the web, posted sometime over the last few years by arisaema (and others). Unfortunately, I have no idea what publication(s) the following were taken from (most either Southern Screen or Hong Kong Movie News), due to the poster forgetting to state the source or myself failing to take down the full details. Therefore, as part of a new database engine for my website and the online publication of all my images, I am requesting to members of this forum--particularly magazine collectors--help in identifying the magazine title, and if possible, the issue number/date? Any help would be much appreciated!

0,5197,1989424,00.jpg

0,5197,1989425,00.jpg

0,5197,1989431,00.jpg

0,5197,1989437,00.jpg

0,5197,1989439,00.jpg

0,5197,1989565,00.jpg

0,5197,1989573,00.jpg

0,5197,1989575,00.jpg

0,5197,1989576,00.jpg

0,5197,1989577,00.jpg

0,5197,1989578,00.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I browsed you posts and took the liberty to start with a few easy ones. The rest I will look into day-by-day starting from today onwards:

Alas, here we go with the ones easily memorized:

Generation Gap (Pic 1 + 2) = Hong Kong Movie News No. 1/1973 January Issue

David Chiang (Pic 3, title pic + Article) = Young Lady Magazine March 1973

David Chiang (Pic 6 – still with gun “Anonymous Heroes) = Southern Screen 158/1971 April Issue

NOTE: If you scroll down, you got that picture posted a second time some way down and below the second posting of this pic, the other David Chiang portrait is located as well

It is Southern Screen No. 165/1971 – November Issue

David Chiang (pic 10 with newspaper background “The Star”) = Southern Screen 10/1972 October Issue

“Have Sword will Travel” DVD article = Ming Pao Weekly Issue No. 2/ January 2003

Movie ad: Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre /between The Guerillas & Shaolin Hellgate) = Hong Kong Movie news No. 10/1978 October Issue

Chen Kuan Tai (home story) = Southern Screen No. 4/1975 April Issue

Crimson Charm (both colour pictures plus one B/W article / back-2-back) = Southern Screen No. 140/1969 October Issue

Ti Lung (picture above the “Naval Commandos”-collage/chewing a grass straw) = Southern Screen 158/1971 April Issue

Cheng Pei Pei (Dragon Creek – article and 1 colour pic on the left side) = Southern Screen No. 101/1966 July Issue

Margaret Tu Chuan (promotion still from “Tiger Boy”) = Southern Screen No. 82/1964 December Issue

Lo Lieh (picture after Liu Chia Liang article) = Southern Screen No. 131/1969 January Annual Issue

One Armed Swordsman (first colour spread) = Southern Screen No. 113/1967 July Issue

More to come soon!

PS: Oh, an please remove those images identified, - it makes it much easier to scroll up and down!

That's excellent; many many thanks! I will edit this tomorrow night by removing the identified articles and organising my Southern Screens files offline. You may be a sad shaw fan, but anymore IDs when you get a chance would continue to make me very happy! Cheers! :)

MarsHarmony

Thank you a hundred million times for this amazing treasure chest of delight. Thank you for uploading them. Wow!, just thanks.

ThirteenJac

Thanks falkor! Can't help you identify anything, but i wanted to say thank you for all the work. Lots of good stuff that you posted!!

OK – Here we go with our daily dose of identifications/allocations from SBR:

Let’s continue with David Chiang:

Directly below the previously identified picture (with The Sun newspaper background) the picture of David with a dark blue track suit with white stripes = Southern Screen No. 3/1973 – March Issue.

The David Chiang picture (head shot) with the little calendar above (yellow background) is from Southern Screen No. 1/1973 – January Special Issue

The picture with the headline “The David Chiang Era” (cowboy outfit) is from Hong Kong Movie News 12/1972 – December Issue

David Chiang picture in his hilarious outfit (blue jeans coat and red sweater) is a promo still of “Temperament of Life” and is featured in the Hong Kong Movie News No. 2/1975 – February Issue.

Now, a bit of Ti Lung:

The promo picture together with Lily Li on the second page of this thread is from Southern Screen No. 235 – October 1977 issue

Ti Lung carrying a saddle (promo colour picture a bit below) is from Hong Kong Movie News 11/1972 – November Issue

Everybody Wang Chung tonite, hehehe:

The picture of Wang Chung and Wang Ping Ping (promo shot “Savage Five”) is from the Southern Screen Issue No. 5/1973 – May Edition

Movies:

The article spread (all four pages) about the movie “The Savage Five” (B/W) stems from the Southern Screen issue No. 6/193 - June Edition

The whole “The Water Margin” spread comes from Southern Screen No. 167 – January 1972 issue - - - except the last picture which is from Southern Screen No.168 – February 1972 issue.

JUST FOR COMPLETION – Here is the second page scan of this issue which belongs to the double spread:

WMduelArt2.JPG

NOTE:

Several pictures of Chinese promo advertisements as well as posters (with marker “Das Kung Fu Filmposter”) and promo stills of SB stars (marked “Kung Fu Star”) like Ti Lung, Fu Sheng, David Chiang (+ the German language movie synopsis/ad of “Boxer Rebellion” on page 1 of this thread/marked with “Kung Fu Film fuer Fans”) are from the German cartoon publication “Kung Fu” issued by German urban media company “Bastei” which were published bi-weekly during the early 1980ies (some 190 issues). The only one who has the complete collection and who can allocate the items in accordance with The issue numbers and dates is “Easternfreak”, a well-known member of KFFD in the early days of this community.

He can be reached under info@shaw-brothers-reloaded.com and I am sure Martin will be happy to assist you in this matter.

See you tomorrow, I hope this helps!

PS: Maybe you could number your posted pictures so that I can move a bit faster and don’t have to describe each picture at length (which is very time consuming). Please, is that possible?

Thanks for your continued help; much appreciated!

David Chiang (Pic 3, title pic + Article) = Young Lady Magazine March 1973

I've removed the cover, but please can you confirm which other 2 pics belong to this issue?

The article spread (all four pages) about the movie “The Savage Five” (B/W) stems from the Southern Screen issue No. 6/193 - June Edition

Do any pages of Savage Five still remain or have I removed all the ones you identified?

I've now added numbers to help communication. Thanks again! I look forward to your next batch of IDs...

SadShawFan

Here we go again with a daily dose of identifications (this time a truckload, actually):

1 = Southern Screen No. 143/1070 - February Issue

2 = Southern Screen No. 141/1969 - December Issue

6 = Southern Screen No. 3/1973 – March Issue

76 = Southern Screen No. 206/1975 - April Issue

122 to 124 = Southern Screen No. 185/1973 - May issue

125 = Southern Screen No. 184(1973 - April Issue

126 to 129 = Hong Kong Movie News No. 5/1973 - May Issue

135 to 137 = Southern Screen No. 180/1973 - February Issue

138 = Southern Screen No. 179/1973 - January Issue

139 = Hong Kong Movie News No. 2/1973 - February Issue

140 to 141 = Sotuhern Screen No. 178/1972 - December Issue

195 = Hong Kong Movie News No. 8/1973 - August Issue

198 = Hong Kong Movie News 11/1972 – November Issue

200 to 201 = Southern Screen No. 93/1965 - November Issue

Thank you zillion times "Falkor" for the amazing job you are doing, scanning and sharing with all of us those fantastic pictures and information, hoping that someone can tranlsate from chinese to english the lines. More about Fu Sheng is only I can ask you (hehehhehehe) Is difficult to see the scans and not fall in the floor fainted hahahahhahaha!

Alexandra

The thing is... I only remember scanning a handful of the above, so credit lies mainly with other members who posted these in previous times, i.e. arisaema. I'm only taking credit so far as I'm playing the sheep dog role in gathering up different articles from different times and topics, thereby showcase a whole batch of stuff. Again, its not really for your benefit, considering long outstanding members will already be familiar with many scans. For those who are liking this topic and finding it interesting, it's really no more than a warm up for what teako and co have planned re: the Linn Haynes Memorial collection. I now turn my attention to SSF's latest batch of IDs posted above... :nerd:

195 = Hong Kong Movie News No. 8/1973 - August Issue

Wrong! It's from:

hkm.jpg

200 to 201 = Southern Screen No. 93/1965 - November Issue

Wrong! It's from:

scr.jpg

Does anyone know if those fantastic magazines were reprinted or the place where people put them in auction? Maybe an stupid question, ugh!

Alexandra

Archived