Have you seen From The Highway (1969)?

falkor

Have you seen From The Highway (1969)?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have you seen From The Highway (1969)?

This was the first modern day Kung Fu film shot in colour, and played a big part--together with Vengeance (1970), Chinese Boxer (1970) and Bruce Lee's Big Boss (1971)--in defining the Kung Fu movie genre proper.

I know Bruce Long has seen it, and he admitted to me (hope he doesn't mind me saying in public) that he preferred it over Chinese Boxer! I agree 100% with Bruce; it's a very underated film. I put it out on the net last year sometime, but I know Markgway refused to watch it until a better quality print surfaces (if it ever happens). What about the rest of you? Have you watched it? If so, what are your thoughts?

Stills

fth01.jpg

fth02.jpg

fth03.jpg

Original Poster

fth04.jpg

Italian Poster and UK poster for lost English dubbed version (I think the Italian print is lost as well)

fth05a.jpgfth05b.jpg

Flyers for Heroic Grace showings

fth06.jpg

fth07.jpg

fth08.jpg

Pressbook sample

DSCN3134.jpg

DSCN3135.jpg

DSCN3136.jpg

DSCN3137.jpg

DSCN3138.jpg

DSCN3139.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falkor,

Do you own this on 35mm? I remember seeing your torrent for this. I dl'ed it, but didn't watch it because it was a cam job. I hope this finds its way to dvd someday.

h

Guest Markgway

As soon as a better print shows up I'm on it.

I can understand watching a cam job for a film so very rare... but it needs to be a really good cam job for there to be any possible enjoyment.

Shakes, tilting, mis-framing, cropped subs, etc, can really kill a movie stone dead IMHO. I know Falkor did his best.

Surprised no one else at any of these screenings had a go. Maybe they were all out filming the latest Michael Bay?

They had a version of The Heroic Grace at my local but all the rares had gone. It was just a couple of Shaws I already owned on DVD alas.

No, no true... there was one I wanted to see 1970's The Arch, but I frickin' missed it because I'm a frickin' idiot!

tantao3-son of tantao2

watched this movie...a nice one...BUT for me it is not the first "modern day" kung fu film...this one reminds me more kind of Western (even more USA than Italian) with some static weapons/or hand to hand confrontation...shooting/preproduction began in late 68?

Yang Wu Liang

I watched it, it's the first and only film I've taken the trouble to download. Although the quality of the recording is what it is, I still enjoyed it. I found as the film went on I soon forgot about the shortcomings of the cam job and got into the story.

I'd have to say I'd agree with Tantao, it seemed more like a transitional film between wuxia and kung fu 'proper'. Personally I'd prefer straight wuxia and very rarely watch bashers but I still enjoyed it.

Thanks to RKFM for uploading and giving everyone the chance to see this rare film.

:D

shooting/preproduction began in late 68?

Check out these International Screens articles--about 4 are newly scanned--showing the course of production:

January 1969

FromTheHighwayA(Jan69).jpg

February 1969

FromTheHighwayB(feb69).jpg

March 1969

FromTheHighwayC(Mar69).jpg

April 1969

FromTheHighwayD(apr69).jpg

FromTheHighwayE(apr69).jpg

June 1969

FromTheHighwayF(Jun69).jpg

September 1969

FromTheHighwayG(Sep69).jpg

November 1969

FromThehighwayH(nov69).jpg

Eastern World 1969 (unknown month)

FromTheHighway.jpg

December 1969

08 - FromTheHighwayI.jpg

09 - FromTheHighwayJIngridHu.jpg

11 - FromTheHighwayKPeterYang.jpg

12 - FromTheHighwayL.jpg

13 - FromTheHighwayM.jpg

January 1970

FromTheHighwayN(Jan70).jpg

I was thinking of extracting all the stills to make a storyboard, as there appears to be several deleted scenes shown above.

Archived