The Manchu Boxer - Cast IDs

Guest Markgway

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I think it's Lee Ye-Min, but need a confirm from someone who knows Korean actors better than I.

No.8 looks very familiar too. For a second I thought Jang Il-Shik, but I doubt it. He's quite distintive so I'm sure Yongpal or someone will know him.

Not all the aboves are Korean though, a couple I'm sure are Chinese.

I think it's Lee Ye-Min, but need a confirm from someone who knows Korean actors better than I

Yes, He is Lee Ye-Min. I think other actors are Korean too.

I think the second woman is Sok In-Soo....

sokinsoo.jpg

http://www.kmdb.or.kr/actor/mm_basic.asp?person_id=00000143

The fifth woman is saying "Oppa" to Kim Ki-Ju. (Dubbed sound is also "Oppa".) "Oppa" is Korean and the word which women use. Its meaning is "Brother" in English.

Guest Markgway
Yes, He is Lee Ye-Min.

Thanks.

I think other actors are Korean too.

All of them?

I think the second woman is Sok In-Soo....

The KOFA is down right now... so I'll check later. But the woman in photo does look very similar. I bow to your expert knowledge.

The fifth woman is saying "Oppa" to Kim Ki-Ju.

You can tell that from a screen cap? lol

Just kidding. You obviously have the film.

The version I used was Mandarin so everyone was dubbed in that language.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=32379&display_set=eng

http://ipac.hkfa.lcsd.gov.hk:81/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1246T9D237147.11637&profile=hkfa&uri=link=3100024@!32527@!3100018@!3100028&aspect=basic_search&menu=search&ri=1&source=192.168.110.61@!horizon&term=%E6%9D%8E%E7%8E%B2%E7%8E%B2%2C&index=NAMEBRP#focus

Those links suggests that she's Taiwanese.

You're rarely wrong... so I wonder if Li Ling-Ling is the first girl and Kim Ki-Ju's sister was someone else?

Only unaccounted for names I have are: Yin Yu-Chen and Ho Piao.

I've no idea who they are. They could very well be Koreans with Chinese names. They mean anything to you?

Guest Markgway

I only took caps of the actors I wasn't sure about (at least the ones with noteable speaking parts - I confess I didn't bother so much with the stuntmen/bit parters).

Here's the ones we know (in order of credit on the HK print):

Tony Liu as Ku Ju-Chang

Amy Tao as Shen Pei-Chen

Kao Chiang as Wei Chi

Wilson Tong as Kyo Ban

Wu Ma as General's Son

Kim Ki-Ju as Chin

Sammo Hung as Kung Chuan

Li Ling-Ling as ???

Yin Yu-Chen as ???

Ho Piao as ???

The unknowns are probably Korean.

Uncredited:

Lee Ye-Min as Uncle San

Kim Ki-Beom as Bandit Shen

Guest Markgway

Look at this image Falkor just posted in the Shaw forum.

EDITED

David Chiang's wife is called Li Ling-Ling (same characters too).

Does she look like anyone from The Manchu Boxer?

I guess it could only be image #1; but I don't see much resemblence.

Opinions.

All of them?

Actors in the pictures.

You're rarely wrong... so I wonder if Li Ling-Ling is the first girl and Kim Ki-Ju's sister was someone else?

The first woman thinks it isn't Lee Ling-Ling. Because her face is different and because she (in the movie) seems to be speaking Korean clearly.

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/image_detail.mhtml?id=3235&image_id=90925&display_set=eng

Only unaccounted for names I have are: Yin Yu-Chen and Ho Piao.

Yin Yu-Chen is written with "Yoon Ok-Jin", Ho Piao is written with "Ha-Pyo" in Korean. But I can't find them in KMDB, so I think they are Chinese.

Guest Markgway

Ah, shit. I just realised I noted down the wrong characters. That's (Maggie) Li Lin-Lin not Li Ling-Ling. Ignore me. I'm just confusing myself!!

It's curious that there's no trace of either Yin/Yoon or Ho/Ha anywhere. The only unnaccounted for actors are the ones I posted caps of. If Yin and Ho are Chinese they can only be one of the actors in the caps or bit fighters. If the actors in the caps are indeed Korean then we're stuck. Strangely they all looks so familiar. But if you don't recognise them - and nor does Falkor - then I've no chance. Bruce Long may be the only person but he's not been here recently.

If it hadn't been for Falkor posting that magazine snippet showing Wang Ping-Ping (as Kim Ki-Ju's sister) I wouldn't have had a clue.

Guest Markgway

Is it possible that Godlen Movie News made a mistake in identifying Wang Ping-Ping as Kim Ki-Ju's sister? I ask because I took another look at the film and the girl in it looks different to Wang Ping-Ping. The Manchu Boxer girl is prettier and has a slimmer nose. Could there be another Wang Ping-Ping? Also, I didn't realise but the name Wang Ping-Ping translates into Korean as Wang Ping-Ping (or Bing-Bing depending on romanization). So Golden News could've easily been referring to a Korean actress with the same name. But as Yongpal hasn't heard her it's hard to say if that's the case.

I've also added another unidentifed cap to my first post. I forgot to get an image of this guy first time round. He plays one of Kim Ki-Ju's servants.

Mark I've got a feeling 李玲玲 Li Lin-Lin and 賀彪 Ho Piao are the 2 female actresses (the daughter, and the girl who is raped).

李琳琳 Maggie Li Lin-Lin is a different actress btw, and not related to this film.

Ho Piao was also credited as being in Invincible Boxer (1973) if that helps.

Ps. The Korean English credits name the actors Yung Yong, Sa Sung, Min Yong & Gi Joo.

In that Golden Movie News image posted by falkor, the chinese characters are 王冰冰, which I'm assuming translated to Wang Bing-bing. If you search for those characters in HKMDB you get this person:

Wong Bing-Bing

Not sure how she fits in, but she certainly looks like that girl in the article. Maybe a completely new cast addition?

Guest Markgway
Mark I've got a feeling 李玲玲 Li Lin-Lin and 賀彪 Ho Piao are the 2 female actresses (the daughter, and the girl who is raped).

The daughter is Amy Tao.

I've rechecked the Chinese credits and they're as follows:

Tony Liu, Amy Tao, Mu Szu-Cheng, Wilson Tong, Wu Ma, Kim Ki-Ju, Sammo Hung, Li Ling-Ling, Yin Yu-Chen, Ho Piao.

The KOFA has nothing to add.

Shame. :(

Seems to be hard to find out that much at all about the movie (apart from the most basic info).

vlcsnap2010020919h41m28.jpg

Here's Amy's pic from the trailer just confirming her role.

Guest Markgway

Yes, it's a real annoyance that half the cast is left uncredited as if their contribution was nil.

A Korean poster might credit some additional names, but I've never seen one. The KOFA only mentions Kim Ki-Ju, Amy Tao, and Tony Liu. Even they don't seem to know the Korean actors who were in it.

A pity Yongpal doesn't post here anymore. He had some Korean posters as I recall.

Archived