NEW SB DVDs coming from Celestial

SadShawFan

For those who did not believe in the announcement of Shaw-Brothers-Reloaded and slagged the news as a blantant hoax:

Courtesy of Celestial Pictures (HK) Ltd. (and with praise, acknowledgement and a truckload of appreciation as well as with sincere thanks for being such a great company and reliable partner) here is a glimpse of the new DVD releases starting in Autumn/Winter 2009 to celebrate 50 years of Shaw Brothers studio. There will be gems that will blow your mind away!!!!

Here is a little forecast with (small sized) movie stills (courtesy Celestial Pictures):

THE BLACK ENFORCER (a tribute to the late Ho Meng Hua):

blackenforcer.jpg

TEMPERAMENT OF LIFE (T. Lung, D. Chiang and an all-star-cast in a pure comedy hit):

temperament.jpg

TO KILL A MASTERMIND (The long sought 1979 classic comes to your home!):

tokill.jpg

THE KILLER (the early Chu Yuan classic finally available!):

killera.jpg

THE BLOODTHIRSTY DEAD (better known as “Revenge of the Corpse”!):

revengeo.jpg

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (a true Ching Li classic completes her vitae):

missionf.jpg

THE LAST JUDGEMENT (court case drama with action):

lastq.jpg

DOWNHILL THEY RIDE (pure delight of a formerly lost co-production classic):

downhill.jpg

THE BLACK FOREST (Get your hankys out – this is a weeper!):

forestt.jpg

THE WELL OF DOOM (Another lost classic Wang Ping Wuxia Pian tale):

wellz.jpg

THE MIDNIGHT MURDER (one of the lost 60ies classics found again!):

midnightj.jpg

And loads more is to come as rumours have it that Celestial will present 50 new movies to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Shaw Brothers studio!!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like our petition was not in vain then. To Kill A Mastermind & Temperament Of Life were two of the titles kung fu fans asked for. Black Forest's for all the fans of legendary singer Tsin Ting since many of her quintessential songs are in it.

raider yang

Incredible! Not sure if the petition we started had anything to do with it but I'm happy to see TKAM in the mix. I sent them the complete list of 250+ names and email addresses at least 6 times and received a general "we appreciate your support" response maybe twice. In fact, that petition still should be active as I never got around to taking it down yet. But all in all, great news indeed.

@ HAZ:

They are all movie stills provided by Celestial Pictures (HK) Ltd. with source ID which are generally used for ads, media and design purposes.

I'd like to believe, and would certainly be happy to see it actually happen this time.

OTOH, perhaps someone knows who to contact at Fortune Star to encourage them to get the rights to release the remaining available Shaw Brothers. FS likes to actually put out films.

Here are some more titles already confirmed:

DRUG GANG (also known as "The Gambling Syndicate"):

drug.jpg

QUEEN HUSTLER (one of the all time great gambling movies):

queenv.jpg

RIPPLES (a true Ching LI classic for all fans od love & drama):

ripples.jpg

HONG KONG GODFATHER (a tribute to the late Shek Kien - now there is no need to buy awful bootlegs):

14101803.jpg

I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN, DAD! (long sought Kung Fu mayhem):

iwill.jpg

PS: The whole new release list (so far) is available at SBR.com

Very nice :) I also hope they will re-release movies that have gone OOP. Someone knows if they have plans for that too?

TibetanWhiteCrane

THE KILLER, TO KILL A MASTERMIND, I WILL FINALLY KNOCK YOU DOWN DAD, and of course HK GODFATHER goes right on the must have list!

AAAAHHHAAAAAHAAA... laughing my ass off at all those people who spent money on Stillers crappy, cut version of HKGF!!!!

And here (courtesy of Celestial Pictures) are a few more appetizers:

THUNDERCLAP (we never thought we will see this gem, but here it comes!):

thunderm.jpg

COME HAUNT WITH ME (Wuxia Pian meets Shaw-style horror):

comeh.jpg

TRAPEZE GIRL (Want to see Lo Lieh and Yueh Hua in circus pants?!):

trapeze.jpg

There is much more to come! (55+ titles confirmed)

The next batch of visuals (courtesy Celestial Pictures):

NA CHA AND THE 7 DEVILS (Ching Li and Chen Hung Lieh battle to the max):

nacha.jpg

AVENGERS FROM HELL (Three 80ies horror stories in one Shaw movie):

avengersw.jpg

CURSE OF EVIL (another flick of the big horror special that gets a royal treatment):

curse.jpg

DARK RENDEZVOUS (Bond-ish 60ies spoof in which Ling Yun battles drug traffickers):

darks.jpg

DEAR MURDERER (Murder replaces love and the killer gets haunted by the victim’s ghost):

dearq.jpg

There are always rumours, allegations, hearsay etc.! When it comes to Shaw even more so. But as Celestial has put it in their new catalogue of movies to be released and as it will be one of the releases that will get a special treatment there is no doubt that the print is OK and even ripe for HD.

Don't believe in common hearsay and "give people in the know some face". According to some previews and post-production screening you can bet on TKAM to be released in perfect quality!

I might've missed it, but who's releasing these? IVL? Or has Celestial completely jumped ship to another distributor?

I am still waiting for Black Magic 2

The Media Blasters DVD seems to hit all the right notes! Uncut, Mandarin and English tracks, 24p anamorphicaly enhanced transfer, etc, etc!

Guest WuxiaFan
There are always rumours, allegations, hearsay etc.! When it comes to Shaw even more so. But as Celestial has put it in their new catalogue of movies to be released and as it will be one of the releases that will get a special treatment there is no doubt that the print is OK and even ripe for HD.

Don't believe in common hearsay and "give people in the know some face". According to some previews and post-production screening you can bet on TKAM to be released in perfect quality!

What about Special Features? I hope they can do better than trailers and a stills gallery. Also would like to know if IVL will continue to distribute.

wellz.jpg

This looks like it might contain some martial arts! Is it listed in old SB filmographies before Celestial came about? I can't remember ever hearing about this title.

To Kill A Mastermind

The Killer

The Black Enforcer

Thunderclap

The Bloodthirsty Dead...?

I peed myself.

:nerd:

It would be nice if Celestial would post this info up on their website. I don't know why they can't be bothered marketing themselves...

This looks like it might contain some martial arts! Is it listed in old SB filmographies before Celestial came about? I can't remember ever hearing about this title.

It's in some old issues of Southern Screen promoted alongside the same directors IMPERIAL TOMB RAIDERS.

THE VILLAINS is supposedly another film to be released. I know someone who has seen a screener copy of the restored version of it.

Archived