Chinese Boxer and Return of Chinese Boxer

Guest morgoth

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

the films are 100% different. theres really no common denominator between the 2 films aside from jimmy wang yu (who plays a different character) and the fact that many jimmy's trademark elements are in it (ie tournaments, thai boxers, etc).

having sed that, return of the chinese boxer is a really fun film. if u enjoyed Master of the Flying Guillotine, i dont see y u wouldnt enjoy return of the chinese boxer.

Guest morgoth

I got about 20 minutes left, but this movie is pretty good. Not quite on the level of Master of the Flying Guillotine, but still a lot of fun. I loved the fight between Phillip Ko and Jack Long. Does Chinese Boxer have the trademark tournament scene?

Guest killer meteor

Chinese Boxer is a million times better than Return Of Chinese Boxer. It doesn't really have a Tournament fight

Guest Chen Zhen

im going to play devil's advocate and say that the original chinese boxer is overrated. yeah yeah, i kno it was the first real empty hand kung fu movie made...but i was pretty bored throughout much of the movie. altho its not fair to assess the movies, because they were made in different eras, and frankly, return of the chinese boxer is a completely different feel.

i love return of the chinese boxer, but i agree morgoth, its not better than master of the flying guillotine. its kinda like MotFG..minus the guillotine, in many ways.

yeah yeah, i kno it was the first real empty hand kung fu movie made

It wasn't. That was something started by "experts" who hadn't seen many films prior to it. That said, it was among the first "modern" kung fu films. I enjoy both films for different reasons. Return...is certainly a guilty pleasure.

Guest Chen Zhen

yeah i hear ya linn, i meant one of the first big empty hand kf movies to emerge from the wuxia era of the 60s.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Wouldn't King Boxer be possibly one of the first hand to hand? Lo Lieh's all hand to hand along with the head buttin guy and all the teacher's are hand to hand. Even the japanese villian. The tournament.

Question: We often consider Chinese Boxer to be the first modern kung fu movie, in the sense that it's the first film made with modern sensibilities that emphasize hand-to-hand combat. However, it was beat to the punch by the Cathay film From the Highway, which was released in theaters 10 months before. During the interval that marked the release of both films, the Shaw Brothers film Vengeance! was released. Do you all consider Vengeance! to be a kung fu movie? If so, why do we fans so often give the title to Chinese Boxer as being the first modern kung fu film?

Killer Meteor

Vengeance! is to me an updated swordplay film, as the fighting is primarily knife-based.

Iron Head Rat
On 5/2/2007 at 7:20 AM, Guest killer meteor said:

Chinese Boxer is a million times better than Return Of Chinese Boxer. It doesn't really have a Tournament fight

I watched this about a month ago, I quite enjoyed it's rawness. Tarantino took ideas from this film no? Or did this borrow from earlier films? I suppose everyone grabs ideas/themes from earlier memories.

Josh Baker

Ive gotta admit even though the Chinese Boxer was beautifully shot, I don't think it's aged very well and Fist of Fury improved on its formula a year later. Also the end fight is pretty awful and you can tell that neither actor is a trained martial artist, it looks like something from a fan short film, and is quite clunkily edited, although it looks very cinematic.

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

The Chinese Boxer (Hong Kong, 1970)

Despite having been a big star for only about four years when this film came out, Jimmy Wang Yu shows himself to be a surprisingly competent director. The camerawork is more than solid. He knows when to use wide shots and close-ups. 

I recently watched this for the first time and I was also impressed with the camerawork by Wang Yu.  Very well made and LOTS of fun. 

Archived