Dragon Dynasty New Releases

daisho2004

1080i@50Hz is still HD.

If the 36TH CHAMBER Blu-ray were a format conversion from 1080i@50Hz to 1080i@60Hz, that could technically be "taken from a HD master" and yet still demonstrate the visual artifacts and speed-up that we associate with PAL and PAL to NTSC conversions. The same is most definitely true of THE KILLER.

You can mislead someone without technically lying to them. No statement that's come out of Dragon Dynasty on this subject is contradicted by the above scenario, but the above scenario would certainly explain the confusion of the "social media guy" who answered the question in a little bit too much detail for what he said to be dismissed out of hand. That, of course, is clearly what Dragon Dynasty would like us to do.

Trust Dragon Dynasty at your own risk.

This is why I'll wait for the reviews... again. Although I think they did say "not PAL"... but maybe that just means "not SD PAL". Guess we'll find out n a week or so, whenever DVD Beaver gets their review.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1080i@50Hz is still HD.

If the 36TH CHAMBER Blu-ray were a format conversion from 1080i@50Hz to 1080i@60Hz, that could technically be "taken from a HD master" and yet still demonstrate the visual artifacts and speed-up that we associate with PAL and PAL to NTSC conversions. The same is most definitely true of THE KILLER.

I hadn't actually considered a PAL HD>NTSC HD conversion (wrongly done). I thought people had meant a PAL>NTSC SD upconvert. It would explain why I thought it didn't look SD sourced.

If they know the problem, they might fix it for 'The Killer', but we'll just have to see.

Maybe the social media guy meant the HD master was at PAL speed (especially if it was a European studio - E-M-S?), but neglected to mention the HD part. He could have been wrong altogether though.

I hadn't actually considered a PAL HD>NTSC HD conversion (wrongly done). I thought people had meant a PAL>NTSC SD upconvert. It would explain why I thought it didn't look SD sourced.

If they know the problem, they might fix it for 'The Killer', but we'll just have to see.

Maybe the social media guy meant the HD master was at PAL speed (especially if it was a European studio - E-M-S?), but neglected to mention the HD part. He could have been wrong altogether though.

Fix it, these cheap bastards? No, look carefully at exactly how they walked the "PAL Mastering" statement back. They didn't actually refute anything that the "social media guy" said, other than that it was taken from PAL. 1080i50 isn't PAL, it just shares a framerate with it. If he was totally off base they'd have gotten into self-congratulatory specifics about the unbridled awesomeness of their dope-ass new 1080p24 master taken from the original negs running at the proper speed blah blah etc etc blah. When has The World's Greatest Collection Of Martial Arts and Asian Action Films ever passed up an opportunity to toot their own horn - no matter how flimsy the rationale for the horn-tooting might be?

That they didn't do that here, given what we know about how these guys roll, should set off alarm bells. Have unpleasant, they-wouldn't-dare-would-they? advance specs about Dragon Dynasty releases ever been wrong?

That said - I really, really, really hope they don't screw this up. I would be delighted to be completely wrong about this release - because it's THE goddamn KILLER we're talking about here. I'm rooting for them to get it right - I just see no reason to expect it.

Archived