An Empress and the Warriors : This title will be released on July 21, 2009

The 5 Deadly Venoms (1978) : This title will be released on August 18, 2009

51uL28VHphL._SS500_.jpg

51OiIxfSeYL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thelastweaponmaster

Does anyone know if these latest DD releases will be barebones in terms of extras? On their own website, the only extra noted for both releases is the usual Bey Logan commentaries but no interviews are mentioned. Would be a pity and another indication of DD's downward spiral as I always like their usual two interviews with Hong Kong film personalities on these discs. Now if they can only get Yuen Wo-Ping to sit down and give an interview on his long great career (as well as Liu Chia-liang).

Something else to keep in mind if the releases do become barebones I don't think that is cause for major concern.

It could be a sign of the times and them trying to keep afloat by spending less on the releases and just getting the movies out. I mean the SHAW BROS movies they have could benefit from a lack of time and money for special features so these movies can actually be released more frequently. I just so long as they include the English Dubs that's cool.

As for newer movies. Do we really need a ton of features for decent movies? Save them for the truly great ones!!

Just my humble opinion. I know it's not much. :angel:

Well 5DV deserves alot of features at least.

Yes, I totally agree.

An Empress and the Warriors, I'll pick up on Blu-Ray.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yes, I totally agree.

An Empress and the Warriors, I'll pick up on Blu-Ray.

Dragon, have you seen it yet? Though I don't detest it like most people- I thought it was decent- I don't think it's worth picking up on Blu-Ray. I recommend it as a rental only.

Well 5DV deserves alot of features at least.

Agreed for sure!!

I just hope more classic SHAW BROS get released, and if that means commentary only....I'll take it!! :P

Agreed for sure!!

I just hope more classic SHAW BROS get released, and if that means commentary only....I'll take it!! :P

Ditto. Media Blasters has been releasing more Shaw Bros films in a shorter time span (As of late August, it will be 7 for DD and 9 for MB), and while their extras aren't quite as "grand", their film presentations are the best. DD could learn a lesson. Just irritates me that they're sitting on a pile of Shaw Bros films (over 50), and they're afraid to do anything with them due to the market. Ugh... Fingers crossed we can at least see the sequels to the films they've already released (36th Chamber sequels, One Armed Swordsman sequels, Golden Swallow, etc).

thelastweaponmaster

I would just think it would be a missed opportunity to not have any interviews from members of the Venoms gang on dvd, since we haven't really heard from any of them previously. Back when the economy was strong and Dragon Dynasty was starting out, I think this film would had been a candidate for the "Ultimate Edition" treatment.

I think after releasing multiple films in cut versions only and labelling them as "ultimate editions", maybe they learned to pull back on using the term "ultimate".

godzilla rules

i think that these will be the final 2 releases from Dragon dynasty unless Inglorious Basterds and Halloween 2 are full on hits. I think that if we get commentaries and uncut versions we should be grateful. We could get nothing.

Dragon, have you seen it yet? Though I don't detest it like most people- I thought it was decent- I don't think it's worth picking up on Blu-Ray. I recommend it as a rental only.

I hear ya KFB. Some titles are worth picking up to simply demo audio/video for the Home Theater, bro. I'm into that sort of thing.

I imagine whenever Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero come out, it'll be the same double-dip for me. I already have S.P.L. and Painted Faces on stand-by.

lillippa328

Official Press Release

As part of the formation of Dragon Dynasty, The Weinstein Company obtained the North American distribution licenses for all 43 titles from Fortune Star Entertainment, the distribution division of News Corporation's STAR Group which owns the world's largest contemporary Chinese language feature film library. [7] As well, they have obtained distribution licenses to a special collection of 50 classic Shaw Brothers' movies and a number of independent acquisitions. [8]

In addition to the titles already officially released or scheduled for release by Dragon Dynasty, the official press release noted the following expected titles: [9]

Fortune Star Entertainment Titles

Love Asia (Barbara Wong)

Shaw Brothers Studio Titles

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter (Lau Kar-leung) - Confirmed by the US Copyright Office.[10]

Martial Arts of Shaolin (Lau Kar-leung) - Confirmed by the US Copyright Office.[10]

Independent Titles

A Better Tomorrow (John Woo)

A Better Tomorrow II (John Woo)

Bullet in the Head (John Woo)

Bey's Blog

On the official Dragon Dynasty website, future releases have also been mentioned in Bey Logan's blog:

A Better Tomorrow 3 (Tsui Hark) [11]

The Bodyguard from Beijing aka The Defender (Corey Yuen)[11]

The Blade (Tsui Hark) [12] - Bey Logan states this as a possibility, not a certainty.

The Bride with White Hair (Ronny Yu) [13]

Five Venoms (Chang Cheh) [14] - Confirmed by the US Copyright Office.[10]

Fong Sai-yuk II (Corey Yuen) [15]

The Postman Strikes Back (Ronny Yu) [13] - Bey Logan states this as a possibility, not a certainty.

Shaolin Temple (Xinyan Zhang) [16] - Confirmed by the US Copyright Office.[10]

Undercover (Billy Chung) [17]

i think that these will be the final 2 releases from Dragon dynasty unless Inglorious Basterds and Halloween 2 are full on hits. I think that if we get commentaries and uncut versions we should be grateful. We could get nothing.

Bodyguard From Beijing is probably going to be the next release after 5DV (which will 99% most likely be titled The Defender). I think some extras have already been prepared for it. Now, I wonder if "Supercop 2" will rear its head at some point :(

Plus, "Bey's Blog" keeps talking about Ip Man, as if hinting they're trying to get the rights to it. After all, they seem to go after Donnie Yen titles (SPL, Seven Swords, Flash Point, Empress & The Warriors). Hell, they can go into "self promotion overdrive", by saying "From the director and star of Kill Zone and Flash Point" :(

Guest maskedavenger
i think that these will be the final 2 releases from Dragon dynasty unless Inglorious Basterds and Halloween 2 are full on hits.

As I said all along, they will be out of business before the end of the year. They just sold domestic home video rights to Inglorious Basterds to Universal just so they could raise enough cash to promote Inglorious Basterds. You can read all the juicy gossip concerning the imminent demise of Weinsten over at Deadline Hollywood.

Guest WuxiaFan

I'm happy with my IVL versions of SB films. The only DD release of a SB film that I bought was COME DRINK WITH ME, and that was only for the special features. The only way I'll buy a DD release is if they have good special features, or if its a modern martial arts film like THE REBEL or RIGHTING WRONGS (stupidly titled "Above the Law", btw). I got over DD after they botched FIST OF LEGEND.

I'm happy with my IVL versions of SB films. The only DD release of a SB film that I bought was COME DRINK WITH ME, and that was only for the special features. The only way I'll buy a DD release is if they have good special features, or if its a modern martial arts film like THE REBEL or RIGHTING WRONGS (stupidly titled "Above the Law", btw). I got over DD after they botched FIST OF LEGEND.

Well, the Jet Li films are where they've really been shooting themselves in the foot most... and they're running out of toes. While their previous releases might've had some issues here and there, none nearly as bad as these. Let's forget "The Enforcer" ever came out :(

About Ip Man, the UK DVD & Bluray a due out August so assuming DD already snatched it up, it should be out maybe September or October. I hope.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
RIGHTING WRONGS (stupidly titled "Above the Law", btw).

ABOVE THE LAW was the original (and a very fitting) title for this movie. But because of Steven Seagal's film of the same name, they switched it to RIGHTING WRONGS, and Seagal's film -for foreign territories- to NICO (His character's first name in the film). I was surprised they used the original title since the film is better known here in the states as RIGHTING WRONGS. But they are very inconsistent on using original or new titles on their releases, so...

Omni Dragon
Bodyguard From Beijing is probably going to be the next release after 5DV (which will 99% most likely be titled The Defender). I think some extras have already been prepared for it. Now, I wonder if "Supercop 2" will rear its head at some point :(

Plus, "Bey's Blog" keeps talking about Ip Man, as if hinting they're trying to get the rights to it. After all, they seem to go after Donnie Yen titles (SPL, Seven Swords, Flash Point, Empress & The Warriors). Hell, they can go into "self promotion overdrive", by saying "From the director and star of Kill Zone and Flash Point" :(

well Bey is good friends with Donnie.

blue_skies
Ip Man is coming out on DVD in the UK.

when? who's releasing it? any dvd specs yet? :D

Archived