Road House... remake of The Big Boss?!

OldPangYau

All right, hear me out... watching Road House on AMC lately, I thought of something interesting. Road House basically feels like a very loose remake of The Big Boss, right down to even some minor details. Let's look at the comparisons (spoilers for both films ahead):

1-A: In The Big Boss, Bruce Lee plays Cheng Chao-an, a young man who leaves his hometown to help out workers at an ice factory, who does his best not to fight.

1-B: In Road house, Patrick Swayze plays Dalton, a young man who leaves his hometown to help out workers at a bar, who does his best not to fight.

2-A: In The Big Boss, Chao-an doesn't have his first real fight until halfway through the film.

2-B: In Road House, Dalton doesn't have his first real fight until halfway through the film.

3-A: In The Big Boss, the town is ruled under the thumb of Hsiao Mi, who controls most of the businesses in some shape or form.

3-B: In Road House, the town is ruled under the thumb of Brad Wesley, who controls most of the businesses in some shape or form.

4-A: In The Big Boss, Chao-an finds a mentor in the form of Hsiu Chien. Hsiu is killed with a knife to the stomach.

4-B: In Road House, Dalton reunites with his mentor, in the form of Wade Garrett. Wade is killed with a knife to the stomach.

5-A: In The Big Boss, Chao-an finds a love interest in Chiao Mei. Chiao manages to arrive at the end of the battle between Chao-an and Mi to frantically cry over the situation.

5-B: In Road House, Dalton finds a love interest in "Doc". "Doc" manages to arrive at the end of the battle between Dalton and Wesley to frantically cry over the situation.

6-A: In The Big Boss, Hsiao Mi has a right hand man to do his dirty work in the form of his son, Hsiao Chiun. He is killed by Chao-an the night before Chao-an goes after Mi.

6-B: In Road House, Wesley has a right hand man to do his dirty work in the form of Jimmy. He is killed by Dalton the night before Dalton goes after Wesley

7-A: In the finale of The Big Boss, Chao-an invades Mi's mansion, killing two henchmen by stabbing one in the stomach and throwing a knife at another.

7-B: In the finale of Road House, Dalton invades Wesley's mansion, killing two henchmen by stabbing one in the stomach and throwing a knife at another.

8-A: In The Big Boss, Chao-an ends up having a meeting with Mi at his mansion to discuss current events between them.

8-B: In Road House, Dalton ends up having a meeting with Wesley at his mansion to discuss current events between them.

9-A: In The Big Boss, aside from Chiao Mei being a love interest for Chao-an, a down to earth drinkstand girl and a promiscuous "employee" of Mi try to grab Chao-an's attention as well.

9-B: In Road House, aside from "Doc" being a love interest for Dalton, a down to earth co-worker and a promiscuous "employee" of Wesley try to grab Chao-an's attention as well.

10-A: In The Big Boss, Chao-an has the ability to pierce flesh with his bare fingers.

10-A: In Road House, Dalton has the ability to rip out a human throat with his bare fingers.

These are the top ten things that leap to mind... I'm sure people will say I'm REALLY reaching with this comparison... but hey, I can't help it if I spot these things! :P

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

To quote George Carlin: "These are the kind of things I think about when I'm home alone and the power goes out." :D

• Like 2

That's official then. Road House IS in fact a remake of THE BIG BOSS. Sorted. ;)

Kowloon can at least relax knowing that's on blu-ray ;) Sorry, your signature gets me everytime!

What is that about kowloon on your sig mate, I don't get it!

While I don't mean to answer for him, it's an in-joke in regards to the announced Bruce Lee blu-rays, and Kowloon's, erm, "assertive irritation" towards anyone talking about anything other than said blu-rays.

Guest Markgway

Yeah, those are actual words from Kowloon when he sorta threatened another member. They cracked me up. I'll change my sig quote when something funnier comes along...

TibetanWhiteCrane
I'll change my sig quote when something funnier comes along...

I don't see how that is possible:D

Well both films are just disguised classic westerns which is the case of most action/martial arts films in a way so it's not surprising they could have all this in common.

• Like 1

Guest WuxiaFan
Yeah, those are actual words from Kowloon when he sorta threatened another member. They cracked me up. I'll change my sig quote when something funnier comes along...

Got it - LOL!!

I actually like RH, but never thought it to be similar to BB. But you're right, there are a lot of similarties.

OPY - I can't watch your avatar for more than a couple of seconds or I get motion sick!

OPY - I can't watch your avatar for more than a couple of seconds or I get motion sick!

Heh heh, it's from an episode of Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd, n Eddy, back when Cartoon Network was, you know, good. *sigh* Don't get me started into what that channel's become... all I can watch now are the first few hours of Adult Swim at night, otherwise I wanted to stab myself in the brain.

Guest WuxiaFan
Heh heh, it's from an episode of Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd, n Eddy, back when Cartoon Network was, you know, good. *sigh* Don't get me started into what that channel's become... all I can watch now are the first few hours of Adult Swim at night, otherwise I wanted to stab myself in the brain.

Yeah, agree. I used to watch SAMURAI CHAMPLOO on adult swim, but then they stopped showing it. BUT, the entire series was just released. See my thread in Japanese Cult Cinema if you have any interest.

Cognoscente

Coincidentally, Patrick Swayze would then star in another semi-remake of a HK movie: Next of Kin (also 1989). It is basically an abstract interpretation of A Better Tomorrow.

Like John Woo’s film, it’s an action film with the emphasis on family drama. It’s about the bond between brothers and what happens when that bond is broken. Patrick’s cop character, Truman (à la Leslie Cheung's Kit), has a moral dilemma where he's torn between avenging a fallen relative and upholding the law.

Briar (Liam Neeson's character) is arguably a composite of Ti Lung’s Ho and Chow Yun-Fat's Mark Gor. Speaking of whom, Mark wants revenge against the mafia but wants help just like how Briar needs Truman’s assistance (of course Mark and Briar share the same fate). Truman threatens to arrest Briar if he chooses to break the law to avenge their brother’s death (like how Kit threatens to arrest Ho) and even hits him (like how Kit does with Ho).

Tension mounts between Truman and Briar before they team up as a last resort to combat the mafia (especially with both of them on opposite sides of the law). Like Kit’s wife, Truman’s wife is a classical musician who plays in concerts.

Just like Just Heroes, Next of Kin has the distinction of having a famous comedy actor appearing in an early pre-fame role (i.e. Ben Stiller).

• Like 2