Meng Fei

Alexandra

Happy Birthday MarsHarmony!!!

Have a nice happy day, I hope your dreams come true, and I am very lucky for have you as friend and you know how much I love you.

You was the first in believe and support all my ideas, about open threads devoted to our appreciated Alexander Fu Sheng and Meng Fei. You hold me when I fell down seriously, and these spaces, when I can share all my feelings about these impressive persons, the sensitive, adorable, charismatic Alexander and the impressive, sympathic and charismatic Fei Fei, is enough for me.

Happy Birthday!!!

:khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j::khi8j:

Alexandra

slazenger_7
...talking about Meng Fei's movies: The King Of Boxers was probably made in late 1971/early 1972 and was shown in Hong Kong cinemas in 1972!

The King Boxer was released on 1s January 1971 in Hong Kong. It preceded the release of Bruce Lee's The Big Boss which opened on 3rd October 1971. The King Boxer was filmed in 1970 when MENG FEI was 18/19-years-old!

Mr. MENG FEI's two films - The King Boxer(' 71) and The Prodigal Boxer(' 72) were worldwide releases. TKB(' 71), I saw as a double feature along with TPB(' 72) in the summer of 1974 when I just turned 8. I still remember that summer as vividly as if it was yesterday...

TKB was released as Hands Of Death, following the success of Five Fingers Of Death(1972) which was released in the U.S. in March 1973. Hands Of Death[aka The King Boxer] was listed as having being released in late 1973--certainly after the August 1973 release of Enter The Dragon.

I also vividly remember seeing the new release of Bruce Lee's Return Of The Dragon(1972) in August ' 74--a couple weeks before the school year started back in L.A.

Here in the U.S., MENG FEI had public exposure before David Chiang or Ti Lung.

David Chiang first came to mainstream U.S. audience exposure in 1975 with the release of Seven Blows Of The Dragon(aka Water Margin-1972). Ti Lung got exposure with his co-starring role to Stuart Whitman in They Call Him Mr. Shatter(1974). But back then, only Jimmy Wang Yu, MENG FEI, and Chen Kuan Tai were known from the Chinese-Hong Kong scene after Bruce Lee. Also, Lo Lieh was known from Five Fingers Of Death and Stranger And The Gunfighter (he co-starred with Lee Van Cleef) but he didn't enjoy the same popularity as Jimmy Wang Yu, MENG FEI, or Chen Kuan Tai.

Mr. Chen Kuan Tai had the one big release in Man Of Iron. Jimmy Wang Yu had lot's of exposure with One Armed Boxer[aka Chinese Professionals] and the popular The Man From Hong Kong (with the one-time only 007 George Lazenby).

The other Shaw Bros. stars like David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chi Kuan Chun, and Fu Sheng gained mainstream recognition during the TV re-runs of the 70's martial arts films throughout the 1980's. Not to forget Gordon Liu, who became quite popular with mainstream U.S. audiences with those re-runs.

Fu Sheng had mainstream exposure from the release of The Chinatown Kid in ' 78, but became more recognized from the 80's TV re-runs of 70's Kung Fu movies.

But I clearly remember that neither David Chiang or Ti Lung received that much attention from their mainstream North American releases as did Sonny Chiba, Jimmy Wang Yu, Chen Kuan Tai, or MENG FEI. Of course, this is before Jackie Chan hit the scene with his comedy-kung fu.

When I saw Mr. MENG FEI in Chang Cheh's Five Shaolin Masters in Chinese(with English subtitles) in Chinatown at Kim Sing theater on Figueroa, I didn't recognize him at all as the same actor from TKB or TPB...Believe it or not!

As for Bruce Lee, he was in another category altogether! He was rival to mainstream Hollywood action heroes like Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, and Charles Bronson--ALL of whom he blew away in the minds of us kids back then...Didn't matter if we were Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or whatever...!

Angela Mao & Judy Lee received exposure from the HK scene as well, especially Ms. Angela Mao (because of Enter The Dragon).

Sonny Chiba and Sue Shiomi were known from the Tokyo scene.

I was here in the U.S. back in L.A.--movie capital of the world--and saw firsthand all the releases I mentioned above. I came to the U.S. as a kid back in 1974...Right smack into the eruption of the martial arts movie craze. My Dad was into martial arts film distribution to India back during the 70's and the first half of the 80's.

I do recollect that MENG FEI was really popular with the girls as well...Whereas Jimmy Wang Yu, Sonny Chiba, and Chen Kuan Tai (in their mainstream North American releases) were really popular heroes to emulate among us guys...

I'm going by the white heat of recollection of the martial craze of the 70's...Sorry for being so long-winded about it...It's just that they were fond memories of growing up and I had experienced it first hand.

tantao3-son of tantao2
The King Boxer was released on 1s January 1971 in Hong Kong. It preceded the release of Bruce Lee's The Big Boss which opened on 3rd October 1971. The King Boxer was filmed in 1970 when MENG FEI was 18/19-years-old!

Mr. MENG FEI's two films - The King Boxer('71) and The Prodigal Boxer('72) were worldwide releases. TKB('71), I saw as a double feature along with TPB('72) in the summer of 1974 when I just turned 8. I still remember that summer as vividly as if it was yesterday...

TKB was released as Hands Of Death, following the success of Five Fingers Of Death(1972) which was released in the U.S. in March 1973. Hands Of Death[aka The King Boxer] was listed as having being released in late 1973--certainly after the August 1973 release of Enter The Dragon.

I also vividly remember seeing the new release of Bruce Lee's Return Of The Dragon(1972) in August '74--a couple weeks before the school year started back in L.A.

Here in the U.S., MENG FEI had public exposure before David Chiang or Ti Lung.

David Chiang first came to mainstream U.S. audience exposure in 1975 with the release of Seven Blows Of The Dragon(aka Water Margin-1972). Ti Lung got exposure with his co-starring role to Stuart Whitman in They Call Him Mr. Shatter(1974). But back then, only Jimmy Wang Yu, MENG FEI, and Chen Kuan Tai were known from the Chinese-Hong Kong scene after Bruce Lee. Also, Lo Lieh was known from Five Fingers Of Death and Stranger And The Gunfighter (he co-starred with Lee Van Cleef) but he didn't enjoy the same popularity as Jimmy Wang Yu, MENG FEI, or Chen Kuan Tai.

Mr. Chen Kuan Tai had the one big release in Man Of Iron. Jimmy Wang Yu had lot's of exposure with One Armed Boxer[aka Chinese Professionals] and the popular The Man From Hong Kong (with the one-time only 007 George Lazenby).

The other Shaw Bros. stars like David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chi Kuan Chun, and Fu Sheng gained mainstream recognition during the TV re-runs of the 70's martial arts films throughout the 1980's. Not to forget Gordon Liu, who became quite popular with mainstream U.S. audiences with those re-runs.

Fu Sheng had mainstream exposure from the release of The Chinatown Kid in '78, but became more recognized from the 80's TV re-runs of 70's Kung Fu movies.

But I clearly remember that neither David Chiang or Ti Lung received that much attention from their mainstream North American releases as did Sonny Chiba, Jimmy Wang Yu, Chen Kuan Tai, or MENG FEI. Of course, this is before Jackie Chan hit the scene with his comedy-kung fu.

When I saw Mr. MENG FEI in Chang Cheh's Five Shaolin Masters in Chinese(with English subtitles) in Chinatown at Kim Sing theater on Figueroa, I didn't recognize him at all as the same actor from TKB or TPB...Believe it or not!

As for Bruce Lee, he was in another category altogether! He was rival to mainstream Hollywood action heroes like Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, and Charles Bronson--ALL of whom he blew away in the minds of us kids back then...Didn't matter if we were Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or whatever...!

Angela Mao & Judy Lee received exposure from the HK scene as well, especially Ms. Angela Mao (because of Enter The Dragon).

Sonny Chiba and Sue Shiomi were known from the Tokyo scene.

I was here in the U.S. back in L.A.--movie capital of the world--and saw firsthand all the releases I mentioned above. I came to the U.S. as a kid back in 1974...Right smack into the eruption of the martial arts movie craze. My Dad was into martial arts film distribution to India back during the 70's and the first half of the 80's.

I do recollect that MENG FEI was really popular with the girls as well...Whereas Jimmy Wang Yu, Sonny Chiba, and Chen Kuan Tai (in their mainstream North American releases) were really popular heroes to emulate among us guys...

I'm going by the white heat of recollection of the martial craze of the 70's...Sorry for being so long-winded about it...It's just that they were fond memories of growing up and I had experienced it first hand.

well, my friend, The King Of Boxers WAS shown in Hong Kong in March 1972 with a not so good BOR HK$ 596000...this is a fact and makes sense anyway...

It was produced by Chang Ying's company H.K. South Sea ( Nan Hai in chinese...)... Chang Ying was a friend of Chang Cheh and the later (with his wife) was for sure involved in Nan Hai's inaugural production...

You may study the HK film year 1971 with its two biggest BOR sensations The Big Boss and Duel Of Fists (by Chang Cheh)...The King Of Boxers, 1972, was a cash-in of these, but a nice one...there are movie mag articles in old chinese mags about The King Of Boxers, but for sure none in 1970/early 1971..........

slazenger_7
well, my friend, The King Of Boxers WAS shown in Hong Kong in March 1972 with a not so good BOR HK$ 596000...this is a fact and makes sense anyway...

It was produced by Chang Ying's company H.K. South Sea ( Nan Hai in chinese...)... Chang Ying was a friend of Chang Cheh and the later (with his wife) was for sure involved in Nan Hai's inaugural production...

You may study the HK film year 1971 with its two biggest BOR sensations The Big Boss and Duel Of Fists (by Chang Cheh)...The King Of Boxers, 1972, was a cash-in of these, but a nice one...there are movie mag articles in old chinese mags about The King Of Boxers, but for sure none in 1970/early 1971..........

Hello Friend,

You know that Five Fingers Of Death was its North American title but its original Asian title was King Boxer. That was starring Lo Lieh and was a Shaw Bros. distributed film.

MENG FEI's Thailand filmed movie had The King Boxer/King Of Boxers [Xiao Quan Wang] as its Asian titles with Hands Of Death its North American title...

It is uploaded on YouTube and the opening credits of the MENG FEI starrer clearly states The King Boxer after about 7 and 1/2 minutes into the film. The Exec. Prod. is listed as Yang Huo Mu; the producers are listed as Tu Tung Sun & Chang Ying; the writer-director is Kung Min.

In the HK cinemagic database, the U.S. trailer of this very same MENG FEI debut is billed as Hands Of Death. That is what I remember seeing it as along with The Prodigal Boxer in the summer of ' 74. Both MENG FEI starrers were reissued in ' 75 and ' 76 as I recall.

----------------------------------------------------

Below is an example from Cinemasie.com, which is one of numerous sites, that lists the MENG FEI starrer The King Boxer as a 1971 Hong Kong release...

List of movies

Title Year Avg. (nb)

The Anonymous Heroes 無名英雄 1971 2.92 (3 Reviews)

The Big Boss 唐山大兄 1971 2.87 (41 Reviews)

Deadly Duo 雙俠 1971 3.48 (15 Reviews)

The Deaf and Mute Heroine 1971

The Desperate Chase 1971 3.25 (1 Reviews)

The Invincible Iron Palm 1971

The King Boxer 1971 2.25 (1 Reviews)

The One-Armed Boxer Dop bey kuan wan 1971 2.96 (21 Reviews)

Secret of My Millionaire Sister 1971

Struggle Karate 1971

http://www.cinemasie.com/en/listefilms/

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is an excerpt profile of Lo Lieh's starrer--King Boxer[Five Fingers Of Death]--

King Boxer Hong Kong (original subtitled version) (English title)

King Boxer: Five Fingers of Death USA (DVD box title)

Directed by Chang-wha Chung

Produced by Run Run Shaw

Written by Chiang Yang

Starring Lo Lieh

Music by Yung-Yu Chen

Cinematography Wang Yunglung

Distributed by Shaw Brothers

Warner Bros. (US)

Release date(s) 28 March 1972 Hong Kong

March 21, 1973 United States

Running time 98 minutes

Country Hong Kong

Language Mandarin

-----------------------------------------------------

I could very well be mistaken but are we talking about the same March 1972 HK releases...?

I cannot positively confirm that the MENG FEI starrer--The King Boxer/Hands Of Death/King Of Boxers--was released on 1st Jan 1971 or sometime in 1971 because I was not there in HK then.

I'm only going by most of the literature that I came across on the internet about it, and 1971 is the year most listed. However, I am positive about all the martial arts films I have seen in the U.S. since June 1974...Those I experienced firsthand and I can positively vouch for them...

For example, I only know that Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon debuted in L.A. in August 1973 at Grauman's[i.e. Mann] Chinese theater because that is what is listed in documents. I wasn't there at that time.

I was there for the 1974 reissue of Enter The Dragon which was playing at The Egyptian theater on Hollywood Blvd. ...That one I can positively vouch for because I WAS PRESENT THERE AND SAW IT THERE with the family...

Just like I was PRESENT at Pacific theater on Hollywood Blvd. when Clint Eastwood's The Gauntlet was released in ' 77--around Christmas that year (yes, Christmas!)...I clearly remember the actual bus used in the film that was shot full of holes parked right in front of the Pacific theater during the opening week of the film as a publicity stunt...We who stood in line to watch the movie, remember being awestruck by that public bus...

My Dad was shockingly liberal when it came to R-rated action films to which he took us kids...He took me to all these R-rated ACTION films back in the 70's and would tell me to cover my eyes if there was any inappropriate content that suddenly appeared in those films...

Incidentally, I almost forgot about David Chiang's late 70's mainstream North American exposure with Peter Cushing in The Seven Brothers Meet Dracula [originally released in HK and UK in 1974]...It was a martial arts-horror film!

David Chiang is listed has having had 1973 initial U.S. releases of New One Armed Swordsman [where he replaced Jimmy Wang Yu] and a fall ' 73 U.S. debut of Seven Blows Of The Dragon [aka Water Margin]...I remember the kids in our neighborhood first mentioning David Chiang's name in the ' 75 release [or reissue] of Seven Blows Of The Dragon...I saw it during its ' 75 release...Anyway, they are all memories for me...As when I remember this one kid who misread it's title and kept calling it Seven Balls Of The Dragon...Until some of us corrected him. LOL.

You see, the difference with MENG FEI's U.S. exposure was that he stoodout from his ' 73-' 74 releases of Hands Of Death[The King Boxer] and The Prodigal Boxer...For us youthful moviegoers, this man was the HERO of the film. It stayed in our minds after the films were over...

David Chiang just blended in with all the other personalities in his initial mainstream U.S. exposure. We were familiar with Jimmy Wang Yu as the One Armed Swordsman and One Armed Boxer but who was this new guy? And in Seven Blows Of The Dragon, Mr. Chiang just blended in with the ensemble cast...Only us martial art diehard neighborhood kids knew his name from the ' 75 release of Seven Blows...

Like MENG FEI's U.S. mainstream exposure, the same thing applied for Mr. Sonny Chiba [The Street Fighter series] and Chen Kuan Tai [Man Of Iron]...They clearly leaped out of the screen because their mainstream initial U.S. releases were solo, virtuoso efforts and not ensemble pieces [Chen Kuan Tai went completely unnoticed in just a 2-scene part in Seven Blows]...

Nothing to belittle Mr. Chiang. He remains one of my all-time favorites to this day and can hold his own against ANYONE...I'm just relating from vivid childhood recollection, that's all.

Dear Alexandra, I will give you time to recover and catch your breath.

Be well. Love, Mrs. Yeung

Thank you Mrs. Yeungliza... I am really happy for have you in the Forum. I hope you can understand our feelings for Fei Fei (sorry, I am not disrespectful, but since I knew him, of course in his movies, I started to call him Fei Fei, don't know the reason).

Only a simple question: can you speak spanish?

More later

Alexandra

Please, do not offend anybody, please please please ...can edit the messages when quote? Is tedious to read again and again and again, long, long, long commentaries quoted.

I include myself in this error... is more easy for all the people to quote only and specially the lines on the interest to comment.

Please, peace, peace for all, do not offend anybody. :smile2:

Thanks

Alexandra

slazenger_7

Please, peace, peace for all, do not offend anybody. :smile2:

Thanks

Alexandra

Alexandra, you are too cute & sweet...I don't think you are capable of offending anybody...

The last time someone may have seemed to have possibly offended anyone, Mrs. Meng Fei dropped in on us...What luck.

I wonder that because so far an official MengFei website has not been located, that Fei Chai might drop in on us here...?

There is always that possibility. I must say that Gabriel Yang Chin Long looks like his father, whereas his half-brother Wang Baixiang [Meng Xiang] looks like his mother rather than his father...

Alexandra, you are too cute & sweet...I don't think you are capable of offending anybody...

I must say that Gabriel Yang Chin Long looks like his father, whereas his half-brother Wang Baixiang [Meng Xiang] looks like his mother rather than his father...

Eeekkkk, thank you my friend!

Agree with you, Gabriel looks like his father... reminds me Fei Fei when was young...

Can you tell me if Fei Fei played a character with a fan (except in Fang Shih Yu) in his movies? Thanks.

Alexandra

slazenger_7

Can you tell me if Fei Fei played a character with a fan (except in Fang Shih Yu) in his movies? Thanks.

Alexandra

Yes. You can catch it on YouTube. I saw the whole movie The Shaolin Kingboxer [aka Tie Quan]; released in HK on 29 Sep 1976; reissued in the U.S. as Iron Fists in 1979...

It is really a Martial Arts remake of Sergio Leone's For A Few Dollars More (1965). On YouTube, it is listed under Shaolin King Boxer--the entire movie is uploaded in 9 parts.

This movie stars Chen Kuan Tai & MENG FEI as the protagonists and Lau Kar Wing & Leung Kar Yan (billed here as Liu Chia Liang & Liang Cha Jen) as the villains.

Chen's character is based on Lee Van Cleef's Colonel Douglas Mortimer, while MENG FEI's character is based on Clint Eastwood's Manco.

Lau Kar Wing's character is loosely based on the Gian Maria Volonte's laughing hyena character Indio...Except that Lau Kar Wing doesn't laugh at all...

MENG FEI plays a roguish ladies man named Ting Yi-Lang with the WHITE FAN...He shows up 15 minutes into the film...In fact, his very first scene is with him in bed with a really hot lady at a brothel...

Chen's character is out for revenge for his slain family...MENG FEI's character is only interested in collecting the hidden loot of Lau Kar Wing and his gang, as well as collecting the bounty on all their heads.

Who the hell puts a moustache on Mr. Chen Kuan Tai....!? That film director must have been trying to make Chen look like Lee Van Cleef...

This movie should have been titled DISHONOUR AMONG THIEVES. There isn't a single trustworthy character in this whole film with the exception of Mr. Chen Kuan Tai's character. This film has nothing to do with anything Shaolin.

Fantastic screen teaming of Chen Kuan Tai and MENG FEI...

Only drawback is that the English dubbing is really bad...Whoever they chose as voice-over for MENG FEI was a terrible choice. The Cantonese language version with English subtitles must be awesome, though

Great ending fight!

Below is the direct link to the online upload :

http://motionempire.com/Watch_SHAOLIN_KING_BOXER_-1976-_Asian_Movie_Online_for_Free_101681.html

Yes. You can catch it on YouTube. I saw the whole movie The Shaolin Kingboxer [aka Tie Quan]; released in HK on 29 Sep 1976; reissued in the U.S. as Iron Fists in 1979...

It is really a Martial Arts remake of Sergio Leone's For A Few Dollars More (1965). On YouTube, it is listed under Shaolin King Boxer--the entire movie is uploaded in 9 parts.

MENG FEI plays a roguish ladies man named Ting Yi-Lang with the WHITE FAN...He shows up 15 minutes into the film...In fact, his very first scene is with him in bed with a really hot lady at a brothel...

Whoaaaaa! :tongue:

With Fei Fei playing with the fan and in a hot scene with a woman is enough for me! :laluot_29:

I am going to watch it in YouTube or in the link you sent! Ah Lord!!!

Thank youuuu!

Alexandra

First of all, I did not mean to offend anyone in this thread. If I did I do aplologize. I am an avid fan of Meng Fei and an equally supportive fan of Elizabeth Oropesa. I think she is a beautiful, talented and caring person as a n actor, wife wife, mother and human being. Thank you MS Oropesa for coming here and setting the record straight about a few things about Meng Fei. I guess I was only going by what I read in the papers and heard from others. Some of these people were supposed to be "reliable" sources. We could not have gotten better insight about the man himself. THANK YOU again Ms Oropesa.

Meng Fei has a very interesting background indeed. Very impressive family tree. I have to go now but will check in very soon. I want to again apologize for any negative or hurtful comments I posted. I also want to thank Ms Oropesa from the bottom of my heart for sharing this insite into Meng fei's life with us. We would have never known all this . Take care of yourself and your family.

slazenger_7

Meng Fei has a very interesting background indeed. Very impressive family tree. I have to go now but will check in very soon. I want to again apologize for any negative or hurtful comments I posted. I also want to thank Ms Oropesa from the bottom of my heart for sharing this insite into Meng fei's life with us. We would have never known all this . Take care of yourself and your family.

Glad to have you back Mengfan...I was beginning to wonder if you and Mrs. YeungLiza were the same person...

In all honesty, I wasn't really offended by anything you posted...And I totally agree with you : Mrs. Yeung [Ms. Oropesa] is a beautiful, talented person and a devoted mother and wife. She's a fine human being, too.

Glad to have you back Mengfan...I was beginning to wonder if you and Mrs. YeungLiza were the same person...

I too was surprised when I saw that La Oropesa was here. I was a bit sceptical at first but then I realized there were things that only Ms Oropesa would know and the photos were authentic.

The way her profile is set up can only be done by the real Elizabeth Oropesa.

To Alexandra. I never called anyone a blind fan. I said let us not become blind fans. big, BIG difference, ....okay...? THANK YOU.

First of all, I did not mean to offend anyone in this thread. If I did I do aplologize. I am an avid fan of Meng Fei and an equally supportive fan of Elizabeth Oropesa. I think she is a beautiful, talented and caring person as a n actor, wife wife, mother and human being. Thank you MS Oropesa for coming here and setting the record straight about a few things about Meng Fei. I guess I was only going by what I read in the papers and heard from others. Some of these people were supposed to be "reliable" sources. We could not have gotten better insight about the man himself. THANK YOU again Ms Oropesa.

slazenger_7

I too was surprised when I saw that La Oropesa was here. I was a bit sceptical at first but then I realized there were things that only Ms Oropesa would know and the photos were authentic.

The way her profile is set up can only be done by the real Elizabeth Oropesa.

Surprised..? I would think you would have been astounded...Some of us certainly were...And we really have you to thank for that...In her opening sentence of her initial post, she stated that because of you she had decided to come out.

I think I had mentioned that already.

There is absolutely no doubt that Mrs. YeungLiza IS Ms. Elizabeth Oropesa...

The one question I forgot to ask her was how did she come about finding out about Alexandra's MENG FEI Thread on Kung Fu Cinema Forum?

If I'm not mistaken, Kung Fu Cinema.com could possibly be the largest worldwide martial arts cinema chatline...

The bottom line is that Mrs. YeungLiza [Ms. Oropesa] accomplished her objective in that she graciously offered the CORRECT information on Mr. Meng Fei, and confirmed to the world that he does indeed have a firstborn child named Gabriel Yang.

She did it with class, style, respect, and ultimately, love for her husband--Mr. Fei. There was no bitterness or resentment just honest adoration for the father of her son Gabriel Yang Ching Long.

Any Meng Fei fan from the past or present, can have nothing but respect Mrs. Meng Fei [Mrs. YeungLiza] for her candid love and respect for Meng Fei.

There was one very interesting clue mentioned in all the Meng Fei profiles that are online (of which I copy-pasted almost all of them earlier in this thread) which only the real Ms. Oropesa[Mrs. Meng Fei] could have known :

They ALL unanimously list Meng Fei's constellation as Gemini and his zodiac as Rabbit. When Mrs. YeungLiza revealed that their son Gabriel Yang Ching Long turned 21 on Meng Fei's birthday--25th May, that explained why ALL those online Meng Fei profiles listed Gemini & Rabbit when the actual date they listed was 1951-01-01 (which would have made him Capricorn & Tiger)...01-01 then has to be a default date when the birth day & month is unknown...

Any real Meng Fei fan would pray that someday Mr. Fei reunites with his firstborn child Gabriel Yang, at least...If not Ms. Oropesa.

By the way, have you seen the Chen Kuan Tai-MENG FEI film The Shaolin Kingboxer [aka Tie Quan/Shaolin King Boxer/Iron Fists] ?

P.S.--I think you had double-posted reply #186...

To Alexandra. I never called anyone a blind fan. I said let us not become blind fans. big, BIG difference, ....okay...? THANK YOU.

Ok, right. And without any intention to start a fight, is not necessary to write "thank you" in caps. I can not understand some times several lines or speechs in english, this condition do not turns me in a vulnerable one. I can read "intentions" hidden in the lines. That is called "Discurse Analysis" in Semiology.

I repeat. Is ok.

Alexandra

presicion25

I remember years back noticing how Meng Fei and Alexander Fu Sheng looked not fully asian.

Then when I did some reading I found out both were half Italian and half Chinese.

Theres also alot of Korean Kung Fu actors I never realized were Korean:

John Liu

Cassanova Wong

Hwang Jang Lee (Obviously)

Kwan Ying Moon

Eagle Han Ying

The one question I forgot to ask her was how did she come about finding out about Alexandra's MENG FEI Thread on KungFu Cinema Forum?

By the way, have you seen the Chen Kuan Tai-MENG FEI film The Shaolin Kingboxer [aka Tie Quan/Shaolin King Boxer/Iron Fists] ?

My dear, dearest, sweet, sweetest Slazenger

I don't understand yet how Mrs Yeungliza found the thread, maybe because I have my name floating in internet (I am a personality! hahahahhahahahahha!) linked with some stuff concerning Fei Fei (and Alexander Fu Sheng of course) or she was on the net and found it.

And yesssss, I watched last night (Argentina time) Shaolin Kingboxer.... ah Lord of Heaven.... The english dubbing killed me, destroyed my ears... but by other side at least the director made a simple but good work with the cameras (nothing out of frame as in Everlasting Chivalry), I remark the excellent short fight with fan between Chen Kuan Tai and Fei Fei (part 3 in YouTube) and I fainted when I watched Fei Fei in bed with the hot lady... I noticed in him (and in other movies) some gestures, manners, customs, properly of an italian one... and maybe is a good question for Ms Oropesa, that is to say, he has really italian blood in his veins?

Anyway I can't stop love him. Every first plane, or zoom, kills me. How he dares? (MarsHarmony can understand very well this speech) :tongue:

More later

Alexandra

A picture for all the women here (hahhaha.....) a short plane of this splendid face..

picture.php?albumid=82&pictureid=2199

My Lord....

Alexandra

slazenger_7

The english dubbing killed me, destroyed my ears... but by other side at least the director made a simple but good work with the cameras (nothing out of frame as in Everlasting Chivalry), I remark the excellent short fight with fan between Chen Kuan Tai and Fei Fei (part 3 in YouTube) and I fainted when I watched Fei Fei in bed with the hot lady... I noticed in him (and in other movies) some gestures, manners, customs, properly of an italian one... and maybe is a good question for Ms Oropesa, that is to say, he has really italian blood in his veins?

Alexandra

This movie has to be seen in Cantonese with English subtitles because it takes so much away from MENG FEI's performance!

I think the film's director may have been on a tight financial budget from Hing Fut Film Company...But that dubbed voice-over for Wilson Tong as Slasher Pete almost gave me hernia from laughing.

Where do they find these guys for the English dubbing???

Mrs. YeungLiza stated that MENG FEI was 25 percent Russian from his father's side...Even though in all these years, I never once considered MENG FEI to be anything but pure Han Chinese. He certainly looks it. As did Bruce Lee, who was 25 percent German (his mother Grace Lee had a German father) but didn't look it, at all. I have traveled the Orient and I can tell you I have seen & met some East & SE Asians who look surprisingly Euro-Caucasian without having an ounce of Euro-Caucasian genealogy. I think the human genetic, DNA link has yet to reveal all its wonders and secrets...

I am of pure East Indian heritage and if anyone saw my Dad--now or back in his youth--unanimously agreed that he was either Spaniard or Italian. My Dad has not one OUNCE of Euro-Caucasian genealogy...Without seeming to exaggerate or boast, in his youth, Dad looked like a cross between a tan Burt Lancaster & Tony Curtis.

I will illustrate an example, my wife (who is 75 percent Iranian/Persian) has a fellow named MOHAMMAD REZA GOLZAR from Iranian Cinema as one of her favorite actors...If you go on YouTube or any Google/Yahoo website and look this guy up, you will see that he looks so European that no Euro-American I know who has seen his photo or films would ever say he is Iranian (100 percent). Look this actor up to see what I mean...His films are available here in the U.S. in spite of all his films being in the Farsi language (with English subtitles).

http://www.mrgolzar.ir/main.htm

And what is even more totally unexpected, is that almost ALL Iranian movies are about WOMEN as the main subjects with more than twice the amount of women stars than there are male!! Look up titles such as Ceasefire; Trap; The Hidden Half; The Last Supper; Boutique; Leila; Tambourine; Baran; etc...Baran, by the way, is probably one of the best love stories in modern cinema. It's director--Majid Majidi--had his film Children Of Heaven nominated for an Oscar for best foreign film in 1998. His film lost out to Italiano Roberto Benini for Life Is Beautiful.

It is ALEXANDER FU SHENG, that I always suspected of maybe having some Euro-Caucasian genealogy out of ALL the Hong Kong Martial Arts stars from the 60's/70's/80's ...

This movie has to be seen in Cantonese with English subtitles because it takes so much away from MENG FEI's performance!

I think the film's director may have been on a tight financial budget from Hing Fut Film Company...But that dubbed voice-over for Wilson Tong as Slasher Pete almost gave me hernia from laughing.

It is ALEXANDER FU SHENG, that I always suspected of maybe having some Euro-Caucasian genealogy out of ALL the Hong Kong Martial Arts stars from the 60's/70's/80's ...

First: "hernia from laughing"... you kill me! hhahahhaha!

Agree with you about the subtitles, the movies are wonderful in their own languages and with subtitltes...

Concerning "euro - caucasian" thing, in my opinion, with my studies, this word is not correct, do not exist a "euro-caucasian" profile in terms of race, and more... today the people is distinguished via DNA and language family trees.

Is a hard field of research... I only wondered if was true about the italian ascendance in Fei family tree, not so far. And if he is Han, agree with you in the application of the term, because this ethnicity classification is accepted for China. Alexander Fu Sheng was chinese, the wide range of skull and face shapes (brachiocephale, etc) make that inside the "chinese ethnicity groups", we can found impressive differences, but in any way, we can suppose "some man have xxx per cent caucasian blood". Caucasian is an old and out of fashion term. Some chinese shows more "pale" yellow skin, or not pronouced the "mongol characteristic eye", etc. This is not condition for consider those persons as people mixed with "caucasian" blood.

Alexandra

slazenger_7

Concerning "euro - caucasian" thing, in my opinion, with my studies, this word is not correct, do not exist a "euro-caucasian" profile in terms of race, and more... today the people is distinguished via DNA and language family trees.

Is a hard field of research... I only wondered if was true about the italian ascendance in Fei family tree, not so far. And if he is Han, agree with you in the application of the term, because this ethnicity classification is accepted for China. Alexander Fu Sheng was chinese, the wide range of skull and face shapes (brachiocephale, etc) make that inside the "chinese ethnicity groups", we can found impressive differences, but in any way, we can suppose "some man have xxx per cent caucasian blood". Caucasian is an old and out of fashion term. Some chinese shows more "pale" yellow skin, or not pronouced the "mongol characteristic eye", etc. This is not condition for consider those persons as people mixed with "caucasian" blood.

Alexandra

You are right about the term "Euro-Caucasian" not in the official textbooks...It is a colloquialism I have come across on a couple of occasions which I also used here.

You sure know a lot about genealogy...I watched the anthropologist Spencer Wells' documentary JOURNEY OF MAN some years back when it first aired.

I remember once reading about a colloquial breakdown of the 3 basic genetic types of the semi-obsolete term (as you stated) "Caucasian" :

Indo-Caucasian -- Caucasoids indigenous to West Asia and Central & South Asia.

Euro-Caucasian -- Caucasoids indigenous to Europe and Russia.

Afro-Caucasian -- Caucasoids who are indigenous to North Africa : Amazigh/Imazighen(pl.) or Berbers; a unique group, who are fair to very fair-complected Caucasians but with doliocephalic craniums similar to that of Sub-Saharan Africans [i.e. Black Africans]. The sandy-blond, redhaired mummies of so many ancient Egyptians attest to them being of Amazigh/Berber [indigenous North African] origin...For example, the mummy of Pharaoh Ramses II has red-hair.

One of the greatest fallacies is that the appellation 'African' identifies Sub-Saharan Africans [i.e. Black Africans]. In fact, it was the ancient name of Tunisia : Ifriqiyah (Africa in Latin). The ancient Berbers of Tunisia were called the Beni Ifran or El Ifri by even PRE-Islamic Arabs. They were named after an ancient Amazigh/Berber goddess named Afar. When the ancient Greek & Roman historians referred to "Africans" from North Africa, they were really referring to the indigenous North Africans--the Amazigh/Berber people spread out from Morocco to Egypt. They were in no way referring to Sub-Saharan Africans[black Africans]--whom the ancient Graeco-Romans called Abyssinians or Negroes and not Africans. Although, the very appellation of 'Libya' was derived from Lebanon/Liban as the ancient Lebanese[Phoenicians to the Greeks], settled in Libya & Tunisia and founded Qart-Hadast[Carthage/Karthagos].

Anyway, enough about genetics and anthropology...Let's get back to MENG FEI and The Shaolin Kingboxer...

Had you ever heard of this MENG FEI-Chen Kuan Tai starrer before?

In spite of the terrible English dubbing, I thought the film was a Kung Fu classic...Chen Kuan Tai and MENG FEI made a terrific screen team.

I couldn't believe the opening credits...They mis-spelled Mr. Chen Kuan Tai's name as CHEN GUAN TAY and Liu Chia Liang's name as LIU CHIA RONG!.

I had no intentions one way or another when I submitted my post so I have no idea what you ment by my intentions. I always put my THANK YOUS in capitals. I will not do so anymore if you say so. It is just a habit for the past sixteen years or so. I will thread on egg shells here or don't write those words here.Arguement...?....No, I think I will pass.

Slagenger_7. I too have no doubt that that is the real Elizabeth Oropesa. I do not get astounded that esily. I have been around a lot of celebrities. I am related to onefrom the States. I am married to the cousin of a Hong Kong actor/singer and my husband and his parents are friends with several Alist chinese celebs who I have met. I am not chinese though.

You are right though, celebs do read these forums and they use alias to go online and make comments. I was present to see a Hong Kong celeb go online a few yrs back and make a comment at a forum. His comment made no difference as the blogger who was terrorizing the sites went on a global rampage that ended up with FBI and lawyers and police involveement in Canada , Malaysia,Hongkong and the States. Maybe one day Meng will come here and read and respond as well. Like you , I also pray that Gabriel and his father will be reunited sooner than later.Family means everthing, or it should.

slazenger_7
I do not get astounded that esily. I have been around a lot of celebrities. I am related to onefrom the States. I am married to the cousin of a Hong Kong actor/singer and my husband and his parents are friends with several Alist chinese celebs who I have met. I am not chinese though.

Maybe one day Meng will come here and read and respond as well. Like you , I also pray that Gabriel and his father will be reunited sooner than later.Family means everthing, or it should.

That explains your composure when Ms. Oropesa [Mrs. YeungLiza] came on board this thread...

I wasn't astounded as much for a celeb joining this forum but that it was Ms. Elizabeth Oropesa, whom we were discussing...That was something unprecedented for me and for a public chat forum--whether IMDB or this one. Usually, celebs don't REVEAL themselves but keep incognito (under pseudonyms) when they enter discussion forums or post an article. This is for obvious reasons. But Ms. Oropesa came out openly and joined this thread which was UNPRECEDENTED for the most part...

I met a few celebs myself both from Hindi and Hollywood cinema but I have never wanted to be photographed with them or ever asked an autograph of them...

Arguably the top East Indian film legend and the family he hailed from was well-known to my paternal grandfather (who was a respected Yunaini physician & pharmacist). This was just before that Hindi film legend got into acting in the 40's. My paternal Grandfather was really traditional & Old School, like Sifu Tam Sam and his family and descendants--he really disliked commercial cinema. He philosophized that movies were not true representations of a people's culture & society. Especially and ancient one like India & Pakistan.

MENG FEI still remains elusive...He doesn't have an official or unofficial website like David Chiang or Ti Lung. I wonder where his Taiwanese & Hong Kong fans write to or contact?

Maybe if we are all lucky, he might eventually find out about this thread of his and pay us all a visit...Even far more important, that he initiates contact with his son Gabriel Yang and his mother right here...

I have children of my own and I would never be able to sleep knowing that I had a child out there somewhere whom I have not seen since that child was 2-years-old...

Incidentally, have you seen The Shaolin Kingboxer (1976) with Chen Kuan Tai & MENG FEI...?