Meng Fei

Alexandra

Hello Mengfan,

Congratulations! God bless your family, especially your new baby.

Hello everyone,

I've been away from this forum for quite a long time. i just finished catching up on my reading and I have seen and learnt so many new and interesting things. I am grateful for this forum. Everyone here is so dedicated, well educated about and appreciated Meng Fei. I was busy having a baby. looking after the little ones can be challenging as a mother as I have to feed the precious angel during the first few months.

It is great to see all the old members and a few new ones. Welcome to the new members. Hello Alexandra, Mars Harmony, Athena and welcome back Slazenger_7, so good to have you back.

Boy!, meng Fei still look good at his age, still very handsome and all. Last night I found Enter The Whirlwind Boxer on Youtube and I watched it. Not the best of quality , but, still watchable. It was the very first movies I saw with Meng \fei years ago and I became a fan then and there.:yociexp56: can anyone help me with something?. Is The secrets of the Shaolin poles a continuation of Enter the whirlwind boxer?.. The same girl who was the daughter of the villlian in ETWB is in Secrets of the Shaolin poles and I don;t quite get her name in Enter the whirlwind boxer, so I would like to know. I know the character was Miss Chow in ETWB but that was all, I never got a first name. By the way, I think both those movies rate amongst the best of Meng Fei's movies

Dear slazenger_7,

It's good to see you back. Bless you for that letter you sent to Alexandra.

It is good to be back here after a year's hiatus. Anyway, speaking of the year 1971, here is an interesting copy-paste from a website:

[copy-paste]

The title in Chinese “QUAN JI “literally means FIST DUEL, the colloquial Chinese term for boxing. DUEL OF FISTS became the biggest Blood Brothers hit ever as Chang’s innovative choices paid off. DUEL did not match the earlier box office success met by the CHINESE BOXER but easily bested Wang Yu’s second kung-fu movie ONE-ARMED BOXER (which incidentally featured a pair of Thai kick-boxing henchmen) and in the end rose to become the top ranking movie of 1971. This was a success that would have splendidly capped the great year Chang Cheh and his fighting boys had, but an event on the October 31st changed this. Golden Harvest, Shaw Brother’s fledgling rival, released a kung-fu movie of its own, “THE BIG BROTHER FROM CHINA” (5) , whose star was a promising newcomer making his martial-art film debut. The film itself was a mediocre production but its star was anything but. His name; Bruce Lee

Besides a spellbinding charisma as well as white-hot intensity, “Little Dragon Lee” (6) brought a power, grace and authentic “vibe” to his fight scenes that were totally electrifying. Nearly overnight he generated a level of excitement among both the viewing audience and the film industry that shook H-K cinema to its foundation and made Lee the biggest movie star Hong-Kong ever had. In the end the Bruce Lee film not only topped the box office charts but also earned nearly twice as much as its nearest competitor; DUEL, 3.2 million to 1.7. Naturally it totally eclipsed Chang Cheh, David Chiang and Ti Lung’s own respectable achievement.

Bruce Lee’s earthshaking arrival broke Chiang and Ti Lung’s Blood Brothers movies popular momentum. Two more were made, including a sequel to DUEL titled THE ANGRY GUEST (Feb. 72), but neither of them added anything new. Thus DUEL OF FISTS had seen the cycle reaching its creative apex. Chang Cheh, Ti Lung and Chiang therefore moved on, the first to help launch kung-fu medalled champion Chen Kuan-tai as Shaw’s answer to Bruce Lee but that’s another story. Within two years Bruce Lee died while Chiang and Ti Lung enjoyed lengthy film careers in martial art cinema and beyond. Director Chang Cheh himself continued to be an innovative martial-art director for most of the decade but past the mid-seventies his movies never enjoyed the popularity they had from 1967 to 1972.

Over the years Ti Lung developed a following in the West among Hong Kong cinema fans, while David Chiang on the other hand became one of the most overlooked k-f star-players. Some fans it seems even developed a strong deprecating view of him, questioning his looks, acting and screen-fighting skills. They were a bit annoyed by his usually wily and perpetually smirking screen persona and strongly resented that Chiang regularly upstaged Ti Lung in the fights or as the film’s real dramatic focus. DUEL OF FISTS probably helped to develop such ill appreciation. Indeed, while in the film a bare-chested Ti Lung delivered a fierce, gruelling and authentic looking fighting performance in the ring, swingy arms Chiang on the other hand was seen easily besting half a dozen opponents at a time in those stylized whirlwind fights. It was also the slender Chiang who was given the film’s final showdown against karate powerhouse Chen Seng while Ti Lung was on the sideline. Finally, as the film was set in the early seventies, Chiang was forced to wear some of period’s most horrendous examples of garish fashion run amok, not the best way to make a good impression .

[end copy-paste]

------------------------------------------------------------

This excerpt is from the 1971 time capsule flick DUEL OF FISTS. Film review by Yves Gendron.

Hi everyone. Thank you Alexandra for you insightful reply to my question, thak you for your congrats on my little one as well.

Thank you Yeungliza/ \ms oropesa for your congrats . How are you and your family?. I want to applaud you for opening your clinic. You are doing a great service for the people. may you, your loves ones and all members here and their loves ones be blessed.

The Guy with Secret Kung Fu is a movie of 1981, with Meng Fei and Li Chung-chien in the main characters, directed by Joe Law (who also directed them in Invincible Kung Fu Trio in 1978) Is a good movie, with a remarkable final fight scene. Li Chung - chien was a well known martial artist in Taiwan but not successful as Meng Fei, of course. They are a good couple of young heroes and good looking ones!

picture.php?albumid=82&pictureid=4939

picture.php?albumid=82&pictureid=4940

Release Date: 16 May 2008

Origin : China

Genre:Drama,Comedy,Romance

Director:Liang Qiao(乔粱)

Starring:Alex Fong(方中信), Wei Kong(孔维), Yulai Lu(吕玉来),Jing Fu(付静),

Xiao Chun(春晓), Lu Yin(吕燕), Jing Zhang(张静)Meng Fei

Synopsis:When banned scandalsheet publisher Li Jiawu (Fong) plans a comeback with a male lifestyle title, his bruised ex-lover Ye Qing (Kong Wei, "The Sun Also Rises") plans to sabotage Li's talent competition by getting tomboy younger sister (Zhang Jing) to take part as a man. Beneath her spiky front, Ye is, of course, still in love with Li, and he with her, though it takes him eight reels to realize it.

-------

More info elsewhere please? :angel:

I have seen him only in full starring role at secret of shaolin poles.While fighting skills better than AFS, in similar role Alex did beat meng fei 6-0 at screen charisma when non kung-fu action...I might need to check out his movies, it was not good start to see him in role AFS played lot better...

*SOSP is good movie:bigsmile:

I have seen him only in full starring role at secret of shaolin poles.While fighting skills better than AFS, in similar role Alex did beat meng fei 6-0 at screen charisma when non kung-fu action...I might need to check out his movies, it was not good start to see him in role AFS played lot better...

*SOSP is good movie:bigsmile:

You must to watch his movies, he had his own personality on screen, comparisons sometimes are dangerous, because each artist has different ways of expressions, or different school or training method, and firstly, each artist deserves respect in his career. Meng Fei made an absolute brilliant cinema career, he stamped his own style, far different from others.

My darling Alexandra, I just arrived from europe. I went also went to Fatima and Padre Pio. I was wishing I could find you. I was embarrassed to ask for your address. It's the first day of Advent, and it's now officially the start of Christmas. Let me be the first to greet you: MERRY CHRISTMAS!! that goes for all the Meng Fei fans as well. Merry Christmas to all of you! Love, Yeungliza & Gabriel

It's the first day of Advent, and it's now officially the start of Christmas. Let me be the first to greet you: MERRY CHRISTMAS!! that goes for all the Meng Fei fans as well. Merry Christmas to all of you! Love, Yeungliza & Gabriel

Thank you Mamma Liza! :smile: I feel honored with your salutation!!! Best for you and Gabriel! Love them both!!!