HERE COMES THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

daisho2004

bride_of_frankenstein.jpg

My Note: As a big Fan of the Classic Monster Movies these are some I would like to see get a remake of. I did enjoy "The Bride" with Sting & Jennifer Beals.

Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment are in talks with Neil Burger (The Illusionist, Interview with the Assassin) to write and direct their long-in-development remake of the classic 1935 monster movie Bride of Frankenstein. Although 1931's Frankenstein has been remade several times (since Mary Shelley's book is in the public domain), Bride of Frankenstein was only remade once, as 1985's The Bride, starring Jennifer Beals and Sting. In James Whale's original film (which many, including me, consider superior to Frankenstein), the Monster convinces the retired Dr. Frankenstein to create a female mate who ultimately rejects the Monster's advances, leading to a disastrous ending. Previous attempts by Universal to remake Bride of Frankenstein had a modern setting, but there's no word yet as to what Burger's setting or take will be. Bride of Frankenstein is just one of several projects at Universal trying to revive old monster franchises, in addition to this fall's The Wolf Man, and revivals of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't surpass the original if they do remake it. Wry, touching, allegorical, monstrously expressionistic witty brilliance. James Whale was a genius. Jack Pierce was a genius. Thesiger was just Thesiger. Karloff is the monster.

masterofoneinchpunch
They won't surpass the original if they do remake it. Wry, touching, allegorical, monstrously expressionistic witty brilliance. James Whale was a genius. Jack Pierce was a genius. Thesiger was just Thesiger. Karloff is the monster.

"Sometimes I have wondered whether life wouldn't be much more amusing if we were all devils, no nonsense about angels and being good."

Does this really need to be remade (again)? This is my favorite of the Frankenstein series (Son of Frankenstein is underrated though and a big enough influence on Young Frankenstein, not quite as big as this film including the sets :D).

I liked Colin Clive's performance as well. Too bad he drank too much and would soon be deceased after this film. Whale's direction is quite good and reminds me that I really want to see Show Boat (1936).

Bela made Son of Frankenstein good. They kept Karloff's entire monster persona in that one bizarrely braindead, dulled & muted (I don't mean in so far as he needed to speak really); especially after the brilliantly emotive characterisation he showed in Bride... more than lacked Whale's touch.

Whale's direction is quite good and reminds me that I really want to see Show Boat (1936).
If you haven't seen it, Whale made one awesomley low-key brilliant horror with a supporting Karloff in 'The Old Dark House' - great movie with Thesiger & Charles Laughton in top form. Unravels darkly & curiously with a great wry humour - I like it as much as his Fankenstein twofer.

masterofoneinchpunch
Bela made Son of Frankenstein good.

... Whale made one awesomley low-key brilliant horror with a supporting Karloff in 'The Old Dark House' - great movie with Thesiger & Charles Laughton in top form. Unravels darkly & curiously with a great wry humour - I like it as much as his Fankenstein twofer.

But of course. I have the Kino version. I like both Laughton and Thesiger so "The Old Dark House" was a great purchase (I still haven't heard the commentary though). Looking through my records I saw it in January 2008 (was it that long ago -- dang). The Whale directed films I have seen are Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Old Dark House -- looking at the IMDB list I can see several films I have never even heard of. Any other Whale recommendations?

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Thesiger is awesome. He plays the stalking strangler in a film called, They Drive By Night (rare film) and of course he's excellent in The Ghoul w/Karloff. The Old Dark House is one of my all time favorite old school horror films. Bride Of Frankenstien had some special effects far ahead of it's time.

I'm just so numb to these "remakes" now. It's ridiculous.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Son Of Frankenstien rules! Basil Rathbone, Bela, Boris, Lionel Atwill (is great here and an excellent actor in his own right), a fantastic supporting cast. Great drinking flick!

I'm certainly not waiting for remakes of the old Universals.

See the beauty that is "Son of Frankenstein" (my favorite still):

post-115-144191886228_thumb.jpg

Archived