The Conqueror's Story

hkpyanfar

The Conqueror's Story is an excellent historical tv drama. Two men fight for control of China: one is a military giant, the other is a let-the-good-times-roll coward. They assemble 'talents', people who are excellent in diplomacy or war, and vie with each other over the remains of the Qin empire. There are some war scenes, but most of the series consists of feuds and back-stabbing that provides the drive for the plot.

Actors, unknown to me (but there was a familar face in one or two brief scenes) did a good job of making their characters real. At the beginning of each episode, one of the actors, sans makeup, provides a historical or cultural tidbit that relates to the comming episode. If you are familar with movies on the founding of the Qin dynasty, like "Hero" and "Emperor and Assassin", then this history of the demise of Qin and the founding of the Han Dynasty can be of interest. Fans looking for a fight fest will be dissapointed as the war scenes are generally short and not the focus of the series.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series; each episode had that need-to-see-the-next-one feel. Has anyone else bothered with this series?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the better historical ones from TVB, keep in mind the historical accuracy in TVB series is really not their main strengths. You should go for Mainland series to see historical series closer to the real history. TVB is famous for adding too much fiction in their historical series and cook them well with some history plots to increase viewer's ratings.

You probably won't find too many people with that kind of interest in this forum though.

I know that it is not exactly what people are looking for here, but it is a great series and worthwhile for most anyone, I think. I am now watching Sword Stained with Royal Blood, the mainland series, and that seems more up the action fan's alley.

Archived