Black Magic 2: Typical sequel question...

OldPangYau

Here it comes: "Do I need to have seen the first film to get into the second one?"

Now, normally I wouldn't do this, as I would normally try to see the first film to a sequel. But there are several factors kinda making things difficult:

1. Trying to collect all of the Media Blasters Shaw Bros DVDs

2. Image Entertainment's DVD is... well, an Image Entertainment Shaw Brothers DVD. 'nough said.

3. Even if I wanted to find said Image DVD outside of online shopping, I'd have to search high and low for a used disc

4. If comes down to ordering online, I'd rather get the IVL disc... out of print, and MIA on eBay (from what I've noticed)

So it seems like I'd have to: A - Settle for the Image DVD and B - Order it online. But the thing is, I noticed that the film was originally released in the US (by World Northal, of course) as a standalone film entitled Revenge of the Zombies. So I wasn't sure if I can "get away" with seeing the second one first, and then going backwards to see the original later.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say buy the image or IVL disc, even if used. It has no connection to pt 2, but owning such a zany movie is worthwhile.

Stuntman Jules

They have as much inter-film chronology as the Carry On series. The second is a cash-in, though for once a far superior cash-in. Several of the actors return like Ti Lung, Lily Li, Tanny Tien, Lo Lieh, etc, but playing very different characters all.

So viewing order is meaningless, just as you won't be missing anything seeing Carry on Up the Khyber before Carry on Regardless. The two films do have similar themes though and it is interesting to see how Ho Meng-hua took everything in the first to much more glorious excess in the "sequel".

mitthrawnuruondo

to those who have seen this,how zany is it.

i only ask b/c i was planning on giving it a blind buy,coming from media blasters.

i recently watched the battle wizard and it was not my cup of tea.is this any where near as wacky?

Stuntman Jules
to those who have seen this,how zany is it.

i only ask b/c i was planning on giving it a blind buy,coming from media blasters.

i recently watched the battle wizard and it was not my cup of tea.is this any where near as wacky?

Oh it's great, probably my favorite Eastern Asian black magic Shaw horror, if not Shaw horror in general (tough call with the impressive Human Lanterns).

It's zany alright, involving crocodiles devouring naked South Asian ladies, women being beaten by dead ferrets, shaven pubic hair made into potions and so much more. And this is only coming from having seen a badly cut and panned and scanned dub that is missing a whole reel of random footage ala Planet Terror.

Looks like I can grab this without hesitation then! Thanks everyone for the help, and I'll be sure to hunt down the original Black Magic in the future!

Well, there was one copy at an FYE out of town that I had to ask for just to look at it (surprisingly, the girl behind the counter knew exactly what I was asking for without having to look it up in a computer), but between being a smidgen strapped for cash until friday (car insurence, car payment, birthday in the family and father's day blu-rays put me behind a bit within this recent paycheck... damn first season of Star Trek!) as well as trying to catch up with the early Media Blasters Shaws (still missing Heroes Two, Challenge of the Masters, and Brave Archer), I just decided to wait for the time being.

I know the FYE closest to my home (which is still just under a half hour away... and is technically the largest one in the state) usually gets Media Blasters titles the week they come out, so I'll check there to see if BMII showed up. Plus, the mall the FYE's in has a Best Buy as well (which tends to have the MB SB DVDs for less than $15... when they have them in stock) so I can check both for the cheaper price :P

As much as I wanted to love them, I'm not that enamoured with the Black Magic films; part 2 is alright, but no Boxer's Omen or the like, for a comparative madness, albeit a later one. BM2, bit disappointing, imo. I find them both a little trying in places for not having dated well. The elements are there, but you know... bit fluff. I appreciate them as some of the first of that ilk, but...

Nice release.

Netflix delivered today.

Don't need to see the first.

Mono Original English and Manadarin audio.

Nice video. Textless opening is available. Also original trailer for We're Going to Eat You.

Hong Kong and World Northal trailers. Ah nostalgia for WW Entertainment/World Northal.

Gi6WK-415e8

L-eyvIXeuBY

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Has'nt anyone picked up this long awaited release? So how is it? Is it better than the first?

I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't watched Revenge Of The Zombies a few months ago. The picture quality is excellent with none of the problems plaguing the IVLs.

Yes, I have this also.The Picture Quality is excellent and better than the most IVLs and other Shaw US Realeses.

I think is better than the first-for me A MUST SEE-when you love Shaw Horror Flicks.

Archived